Warn 8274 - keep the wire?

Jeffncs

Hi guys...

Just picked up a used, older 8274 from another forum member and starting to think through my plan for it. I’ll crack it open, clean it, replace seals and o-rings, and upgrade the brake. Debating the wire... it’s heavy and synthetic is safer. This Jeep isnt going to be hanging off any cliffs or even run hard. The winch will just be an additional security measure for mild off-road trips.

Would you stick with the old wire which looks to be in good shape?

Replace with a new wire?

Replace with a synthetic line? If synthetic, who has the best bang for the buck? ($400 synthetic winch line is going to hurt)

I did wire for mine. It’s cheaper, I’m not worried about the weight, it doesn’t get used a lot, and most it’s use will be for around the house / farm / bull shit than actual vehicle pulling. I’d rather have the abrasive resistance and durability of the wire.

I sold my 8274 because it was too heavy. I wish I had just put synthetic on it. They really are pretty reasonably light once you put rope on em.

If you are keeping the steel but worried about the weight you can shorten it. They came with 150ft IIRC. I switched mine to rope, but only put back 90ft, and I don't think I've ever used all of that.

Duane

I sold my 8274 because it was too heavy. I wish I had just put synthetic on it. They really are pretty reasonably light once you put rope on em.
And I bought it and put rope on it. I had to bolt it down to keep it from floating off the bumper it’s so light now.

And I bought it and put rope on it. I had to bolt it down to keep it from floating off the bumper it’s so light now.
Yep, that's right! I think I had traded it to @guffey24 for a 4wheeler maybe? That's been quite a while ago, haha. Still going strong?

Maybe unpopular opinion on here, but I've had amsteel fail 3 times, never had a wire rope fail. Any winch I plan to use gets steel cable.

Maybe unpopular opinion on here, but I've had amsteel fail 3 times, never had a wire rope fail. Any winch I plan to use gets steel cable.
So none of your winches have steel cable? :flipoff2:

Thanks guys. I’ll probably stick with the steel cable, assuming it looks good once I unspool it.

Unspooling to keep it from turning into a birds nest. I’ll likely use a spool or similar so it stays nice and organized.

Thanks guys. I’ll probably stick with the steel cable, assuming it looks good once I unspool it.

Unspooling to keep it from turning into a birds nest. I’ll likely use a spool or similar so it stays nice and organized.
A 5 gallon bucket works fairly well.

Synthetic rope. I put it on my 8274. It was a good decision. Right now, rope is so cheap you might as well make the switch.
This x 1000

If I find a few extra bucks, which synthetic are you buying thats a great deal? I’m only finding $300-$400 lengths...

Thinking about this one. Seems like a tight weave, has a heat shield and a rock guard.

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread, but I went into an Arborist supply store and they sell the Amsteel Blue rope in several different thicknesses. Most stores can splice in a thimble on the end for a hook, and you could get it in any custom length. I may do that for my old-skool 70's 8274 I cleaned, painted and am rebuilding.

I finally after 6 years of abuse, broke the synthetic that came on my Smitty built. I could not afford the big name ropes, and I thought to my self I said "self, it came with a China rope on it, just replace it with the same" so, I did. Been working fine.I have ordered rope for several of my friends and everyone is happy with it.
Those who pull rope for you, will like you better
If it breaks, it just falls, no danger in it whipping and shearing off someones head
If it breaks, tie a knot in it and go on.
It's so much lighter than steel, and in some cases rated with a higher breaking strength.
If, you do go with rope, you have to:
sand over your drum to delete any and all burrs hat come with using steel cable
replace the roller fairlead with an aluminum haws fairlead

I know this is about ropes, but since the op mentioned 8274 parts.

Where are y'all buying them? I bought one off here years ago. I brought it home discovered its mostly worn out trash.

I need several things or call it a loss.

Last edited:

Where are y'all buying them? I bought on off here years ago. I brought it home discovered its mostly worn out trash.

I'll take it to the dump for you.

I've gotten a lot of spare parts over the years from Clemson 4wd and Amazon.

Where are y'all buying them? I bought on off here years ago. I brought it home discovered its mostly worn out trash.

I have 150ish feet of like new cable if that's one of the things you need.

I have 150ish feet of like new cable if that's one of the things you need.
Cable is roached. I will be needing another one.

@shawn negative on the dump, I've got scrap bins. I'm partial to the junk I have accumulated loss or not.
@orange150 worn out seconds are never that good...

Back