went to doctor...1st in 21years, oh boy

Have you ever been in a crash,had whiplash, jumped a truck or car and bottomed out the suspension, jammed your head/neck into to you shoulders, fallen hard
at age 17 I fell 3 stories through a stairwell of a house I was working on. Broke a 2x12 in half which broke 3 ribs and then hit the floor hard enough to bounce lol. My dumbass never went to the doctor either cause well, being a dummy living on my own. By the time my Dad found out and took me, weeks later, it was too late for them to do anything. I guess everything started healing on its own. I found out when I was in the service a year later while studying martial arts that my right side rib cage was my weak spot lol, it couldn't take a blow like the other. It's always been a sweet spot just for that right hit.
It probably doesn't help that I've always pushed my limits to see "if I still got it"...just few weeks ago I carried a whole D60 housing about 20ft to get it into the garage (couldn't get help and I'm impatient to wait on it). When I built log homes back in the day, I carried 16ft Logs by myself...they weigh roughly 360lbs. In Boone when I worked for myself constantly doing engine swaps, tranny swaps, axle swaps I could pick up a 4.0 and move it across the shop.
It's good to realize you're not bulletproof
yeah now I'm realizing this which sucks monkey butt. My crazy work ethic and speed is what I had going for me, with some talent/skill in certain things, but now I can't rely on just that to "get that job." Looks like time to put on some polo shirts and get back into management/supervisory positions lol. Time to get serious lol

I know you are active and work a lot but there's a difference between working and working out
I never thought about that. I was thinking lately to get back into lifting and doing push ups like I used to long time ago. Nothing like using good ol car batteries for some dumb bells, the roof trusses in garage for pull ups, then finish with some elevated diamonds. That used to be how I worked out long ago.

I’m a believer in physical therapy. However, that real expensive and time consuming. I had some hip issues and physical therapy solved it quick. But, just like chiropractic care it all depends on the person giving the care.

I never thought about that. I was thinking lately to get back into lifting and doing push ups like I used to long time ago. Nothing like using good ol car batteries for some dumb bells, the roof trusses in garage for pull ups, then finish with some elevated diamonds. That used to be how I worked out long ago.
It’s not just your arms and chest that you need to work out, it is most importantly your core. I’ve had 3 surgeries on the same disc between 2016 and 2018. I did a chiropractor, physical therapy, and injections before finally realizing surgery was the only thing that was going to cure me. I spent a week stuck in the living room floor pissing in a bottle prior to the first and second surgeries because of the pain. The first two surgeries they just cut out the bad part of the disc. Finally the 3rd surgery was a fusion. That was 10 months ago today. 4 months ago I got serious about getting in shape because I realize that having a strong core will lessen the probability of herniating another disc.

Summary: do workouts to improve your core strength. Strength in your core is what is going to hold things in the right place and help to decrease chances of injury.

so just got back from reviewing the xrays and wow, my lower most nerve on my spine is practically non existent...that's just wonderful lol
at least he was honest enough to tell me there's no guarantee to fix it without surgery of some swort but said if I did 3x a week treatments there, it would be much better....thoughts on this. Is he just trying to make money off me or would 3x a week really help if I could afford it and did it. I'm not going to waste $162 a week on a "maybe" or "should" get me better.

Go for a week or two and see how you feel. If it improves, great. @VortecJeep is right, strengthen your core. Planks, side planks, crunches, rollouts, pikes, V-ups will all be beneficial. A weak core is a weak back. Strong core = strong back. Also, look into mobility exercises to increase mobility in your hips/lower back. I have a few apps/programs that I use whenever my lower back/hips/right knee are feeling tight, takes around 15 mins to do and you can do it daily. Like I said earlier, I couldn't walk for 2 weeks, 3 years ago. I laid on my floor morning, noon, and night. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. As soon as I could move again, I hobbled my ass into a gym and asked for help. I can now heavy deadlift/squat/press etc with no back pain at all and I'm 30lbs lighter. My mobility has improved, sleep is better etc.

It was recommended by my chiropractor that I invest in a good matress last time I went to see him after a bad accident. I ended up buying a Tempurpedic and noticed a difference first night. Tempurpedic, Contour pillow, use it every night and would never consider switching to anything less.

It was recommended by my chiropractor that I invest in a good matress last time I went to see him after a bad accident. I ended up buying a Tempurpedic and noticed a difference first night. Tempurpedic, Contour pillow, use it every night and would never consider switching to anything less.
You are right, a bed is something you don’t cheap out on. We looked at all different types a couple years ago and we ended up with a sleep number. It’s nice being able to adjust how firm or soft you need the bed to be. Soft for sleeping, firm for rasslin’! :rockon:

I have been going to the chiro for 20 years on a regular basis he keeps my degenerative disk working enough for me to function there great but what there best at is telling you how broken you are and freaking you out so you come 3 times a week so you don’t die lol they use scare tactics for sure so there great but take everything they say with a grain of Salt and see a good spine doctor for a real review of your issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, a bed is something you don’t cheap out on. We looked at all different types a couple years ago and we ended up with a sleep number. It’s nice being able to adjust how firm or soft you need the bed to be. Soft for sleeping, firm for rasslin’! :rockon:

I've put my body through hell. Not just with injuries, but sleeping conditions. A poor sleeping condition will flat out hurt you. For years I stayed in motel beds, couches, or whatever. The body cramps and fatigue would set in a few hours after I woke up and not go away. I invested the $$$ on a good matress and almost immediately I saw double the energy level and little to no body ache regardless of how strenuous the day was. It really and truly does make a world of difference.

I had back problems for many years, to the point where it would lock up and I'd be on my back for days in pain. I was going to go to a chiro and a friend told me "once you go to a chiropractor, you'll have to keep going to a chiropractor" so I decided to go to the doctor instead. They looked at me, put me to physical therapy. Two months of PT and I haven't had a back issue in over 8 years.

I know some people love them and some people hate them. I just avoid them.

They looked at me, put me to physical therapy. Two months of PT and I haven't had a back issue in over 8 years.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I went to a chiro when I was 21 after body slamming a buddy one night when the devil's brown liquor got the best of me. Like everyone says, they scared me in to going 3 times a week. On my second visit, the hot little nurse was putting the electrodes on my back and hit a sore spot. She asked if that was where I hurt. Told me I had a huge knot and I needed a massage, not the chiro. As it turned out, she gave great massages.

I went to a chiro when I was 21 after body slamming a buddy one night when the devil's brown liquor got the best of me. Like everyone says, they scared me in to going 3 times a week. On my second visit, the hot little nurse was putting the electrodes on my back and hit a sore spot. She asked if that was where I hurt. Told me I had a huge knot and I needed a massage, not the chiro. As it turned out, she gave great massages.
I went to a chiro for a while after a wreck.
Initially felt better. Sqme deal 3-4x a week and after a while i told the dude I was ready to cut back to 1x week. .I swear he tried to fawk with me to make me hurt. Then I did 1/week for a while until he started telling me he could cure a sinus infection and even a wart by adjusting certain spine areas . Never went back to him

I have twice since stopped in a different chirp and just asked them to "pop my back. I'm out of town for work and just need a quick adjustment til I get back home." Both times they took my 50 snapped me around and don't try to feed me holistic horse shit .

take everything they say with a grain of Salt and see a good spine doctor for a real review of your issues
sounds like this is what I need to do is get a second opinion/review from a "doctor" I guess. What can I expect a doctor to cost for such a visit with x-rays and all, full thorough visit for this stuff.
Thanks everyone for guidance.

this is very true, we got rid of our mattress months ago cause it was well, 16yrs old lol but getting a new one is not possible right now. My 3400 tax return got taken so buying a bed was on the "list" lol. I'm doing really good rebuilding my credit finally for several months now so by summer time I hope to be able to finance a good bed.

this is very true, we got rid of our mattress months ago cause it was well, 16yrs old lol but getting a new one is not possible right now. My 3400 tax return got taken so buying a bed was on the "list" lol. I'm doing really good rebuilding my credit finally for several months now so by summer time I hope to be able to finance a good bed.

I think I remember @RatLabGuy, maybe Ron, had a buddy or knew somebody at one time that capitalized on the ‘free bed’ offerings for a while. 90 days here, 30 days there, 6 months here. It would be a pain in the dick, but maybe do that until you can grab a bed.

I think I remember @RatLabGuy, maybe Ron, had a buddy or knew somebody at one time that capitalized on the ‘free bed’ offerings for a while. 90 days here, 30 days there, 6 months here. It would be a pain in the dick, but maybe do that until you can grab a bed.
Huh....I don't get it

Instead of laying around on a shitty bed until you can buy one...there are several ‘try for x days’ mattress deals out there for free...and it allows you to try out different beds to see if you get any pain relief.
oh lol well not laying on any bed right now, that mattress was horrible. the floor has been my bed for couple months now and it actually helps a little with keeping everything kinda straight. it's a carpeted floor with an extra "fluffy" rug on top of it, quite comfortable actually. Ten times better than the mattress we had for last decade lol. It works for now

As you might can tell, there are Good Chiro's & Doctors, and some bad ones! My 1st. Chiro, was the Best, but he eventually retired. With moving & job changes, I've had 5 different ones. Only 1. was in it for the money, & wasn't the best trained. The rest have been good, to great! Generally when you start, you have Severe problems, & they start at 3 times a week, to try to get you corrected asap. As you progress you cut back to 2 times, & on down to once a month. Did this with my 1st Chiro. After 12 or so months,he told me I could come when I needed to. Said my body would tell me when I needed "maintenance". He was right, & that's what I've done ever since. My work, & stupid things I may do, create most of my problems. With the ever lasting Rain, my part time work has been Rare, & it's too wet to get out & do weird stuff. I haven't been to my Chiropractor for over 4 months! And they always told me, I'd never be 100% again, nor would any surgery get me 100%. But they could help maintain me & give me quality life. I Totally agree!

oh lol well not laying on any bed right now, that mattress was horrible. the floor has been my bed for couple months now and it actually helps a little with keeping everything kinda straight. it's a carpeted floor with an extra "fluffy" rug on top of it, quite comfortable actually. Ten times better than the mattress we had for last decade lol. It works for now
Did you tell this little detail to the chiropractor?

Did you tell this little detail to the chiropractor?
oh yeah, he agreed that an old worn out soft mattress is def worse especially on that lower nerve that's shifted. I don't sit on the couch often either since it hurts and hard to be comfortable. I've had pain from sitting on a couch or even in the car for years and years getting worse and I just thought it was "normal" with age and the kinda a work I do but now it makes sense of where the pain comes from. I'm a pretty tough minded person too so it takes a lot for me to say something and/or complain about a pain issue. I only finally went cause I'm tired of stupid hand going numb when trying to be a welder and while I was there, i mentioned my back and well, here we are lol.

Put a sheet of plywood under the couch cushions.
Do the same thing for the mattress.

Back