What’s going on with my Detroit?

Tails

Put a new Detroit in my rear 44 about a month ago. Same week the motor in my truck went out so I have been daily driving my jeep until my truck get rebuilt. Yesterday I drove my jeep two hours to Fayetteville to pick up my daughter. While driving back, slowing down approaching a light there was a loud pop like it was unloading. After that when I’d give it gas it would pull hard to the left, let off gas it would throw Jeep to the right like it wanted me in the ditch. I pulled into gas station and it was like it was fully locked chirping tires on turns. Now it drives normal but still acts fully locked on turns. I realize it prolly something wrong with locker but since it’s a full case what do I need to look for when I remove the cover?

My Jeep has had a Detroit in it as long as I have owned it. It’s never been this violent. Replaced it last month due to breaking a chromo shaft and it destroyed the locker so replaced with same locker and ECGS shafts. It has been better than it was up until yesterday. Minimal “chirping” in parking lots but now it’s always fully locked. To do a sharp turn into a parking place takes way more throttle to force it to spin a tire. Tires don’t seam excessively worn but I did air them up last time at the outpost so they may be different air pressures by several pounds. I’ll go out and check that in a few minutes.

Replaced it last month due to breaking a chromo shaft and it destroyed the locker so replaced with same locker and ECGS shafts.
Hmmm... That's a different story. Garbage in the diff, maybe?

Just checked tires all were at 27lbs, also checked the fluid level and it was good. I’ll pull cover on Thursday when the shop opens back up and look for debris. It’s way more chirpy than it ever has been.

I'd see if the housing is bent. Put on stands, let it idle in gear and watch the caliper (or drum) to see if it walks at all.
Maybe contributing or collateral damage with the broken shaft?

Last edited:
Just checked tires all were at 27lbs, also checked the fluid level and it was good. I’ll pull cover on Thursday when the shop opens back up and look for debris. It’s way more chirpy than it ever has been.
You have to adjust your tire pressures to get the same rolling radius, not the same pressure. The old Detroit books used to have instructions for this (I bet they still do) just take a tape measure and read from the centerline to the ground on a flat, level parking spot. Adjust pressure to get the same measurement. This will minimize the difference in rolling radius. You will still get a bit of popping and unlocking from time to time but it should not be constant.

In a Jeep the wheelbase is so short that turns create a little more differential in arc for the rear tires which means that it uses up the slack in the dog clutches quicker and creates more opportunities to bind. The side gears only unlock under no load conditions so you have to be really gentle on the throttle when driving to avoid binding and popping/unloading.

Sounds like something broke in the locker, and if you pull the cover, there probably won’t be anything obvious. If it is, it will be really obvious, ha ha. Sounds like an internal problem, maybe a piece of metal in the mechanism.

I only know enough mechanical knowledge to get me into trouble and 99% of it I have learned from you fellas over the past 8 years. I work the office at a shop but we are closed until Thursday due to owner being on vacation. So I’m going to have him look at it then. I just didn’t know if it was something obvious you all would be like “oh yeah this is your problem” which I have seen this crowd do many times before. Thank you all for the input. Like I said I have had a Detroit in this Jeep for many years and it has never felt like this. I’m pretty sure something is broke.

Last edited:
You can try putting it up on stands and seeing if you can get it to unlock by hand. Easiest way is either to put one tire in the air and try to spin it or put both in the air, give it a little spin, then jerk the tire to get it to break loose. One tire in the air at a time is probably easier for verifying that it'll unlock. Keep in mind that one tire at a time can spin faster than the ring gear, but neither tire can spin slower.

That's what a Detroit does. Extra harshness

Replaced it last month due to breaking a chromo shaft and it destroyed the locker

And after 25+ years of knowing these facts... still struggling to fathom HOW/WHY they're even an option?

"Sign me up for replacing a (full case) locker that grenades whenever a "fuse" (shaft and/or joint) blows!" :popcorn:

slowing down approaching a light there was a loud pop like it was unloading. After that when I’d give it gas it would pull hard to the left, let off gas it would throw Jeep to the right like it wanted me in the ditch. I pulled into gas station and it was like it was fully locked chirping tires on turns.

Something sounds off if it's forcing you left while driving straight 🤔

I had Detroit's put in my 96 bronco front and rear and regretted it 5 miles from Magnum 44's shop in Pinnacle

My bronco was a 5.0 with a 5-speed and geared 4.88 on 35's. Prior to the rear detroit it drove smooth as butter, but immediately after the Detroit it was violent and extremely dangerous on a curvy Rd

ANY throttle input whatsoever would make it try to go straight which isn't good on the back roads in Pinnacle

I was very upset at the characteristics of the Detroit in the bronco, but Bill DID try and warn me. I just couldn't justify the cost of an ARB in the rear at the time

Side note: twas a beast off-road though 🤘🏿

And after 25+ years of knowing these facts... still struggling to fathom HOW/WHY they're even an option?

"Sign me up for replacing a (full case) locker that grenades whenever a "fuse" (shaft and/or joint) blows!" :popcorn:
Yea, after 5 broken Detroits, (3 because of axle failures) I have avoided them.

Which detroit is in question?

Screen Shot 2024-08-30 at 11.33.15 AM.png

There is only one DEETroyt. Top left. They also manufacture the Truetrac, ELocker, NoSPIN, and Posi, but them ain't a DEETroyt.

There is only one DEETroyt. Top left. They also manufacture the Truetrac, ELocker, NoSPIN, and Posi, but them ain't a DEETroyt.

I dont know man. American culture gets fast and loose with nomenclature. Only takes half a generation or so. Shit like "no cap" is flying all over by these young ones and Im losing my mind. lol

Weld the Detroit!

Back