What do you use with synthetic rope?

I think I have a wrecked HD thimble like that in my "winching stuff" box. I agree, they are wayyyyy better than the non plated ones and a million times better than the non tubular ones, but you can still tweak them.

I don't understand what's wrong with a proper safety hook. No need to use shackles when just using a winch line on a tree strap or something. So much faster/simpler.

PS : I do have all kinds of shackles (metal and soft), tree straps, long straps, pulleys (snatch blocks and low friction style), but for a regular recovery I'm not using any of that stuff.

Edit : This is a safety hook. Impossible to use it the wrong way. It closes on its own for safety as soon as there is load on it. Rigging pros will use this all day long.

Self-Locking-Hook.jpg

Self-Locking-Hook-open.jpg

Nothing wrong with a hook, honestly the only reason I use a shackle in mine is because it came with it. I may actually go back to using a hook so I don't have to sit my beer down to hook up a tree strap.

Only reason we went to a factor 55 thimble as my dad smashed a hook and hd thimble. By the time we spent $18 plus $10 shipping on a thimble, we spent $50 on the factor 55 thimble with free shipping. Then I still didn’t have to buy a hook.

He already was keeping a tree saver and d ring ready to go.

The factor 55 thimble is low profile enough to not get smashed, and doesn’t rattle or bang on the alum fair lead.

Honestly doesn’t have to use it enough to justify a nicer hook with the big block and 43” sticky’s lol :flip off:

Only reason we went to a factor 55 thimble as my dad smashed a hook and hd thimble. By the time we spent $18 plus $10 shipping on a thimble, we spent $50 on the factor 55 thimble with free shipping. Then I still didn’t have to buy a hook.

He already was keeping a tree saver and d ring ready to go.

The factor 55 thimble is low profile enough to not get smashed, and doesn’t rattle or bang on the alum fair lead.

Honestly doesn’t have to use it enough to justify a nicer hook with the big block and 43” sticky’s lol :flip off:
Where in the world did you score a F55 thimble for $50?

Back