What Harbor freight tools/supplies do you recommend?

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
This is about the tools and or supplies you have bought, continue to buy, and would recommend to your friends. There is another thread about what you think are junk.

I know, haters gonna hate. There are some "tool snobs" who won't even go in the place, or say anything good about the place.

I bought a Chicago Electric hand belt sander last year. It's been used a lot. It has been used for hours on end, only stopping to change work pieces. Hasn't skipped a beat.
Took me a little bit to get the belt adjusted so it wouldn't walk off, or cut into the side, but once I got that done, no issues.

The US General tool boxes and roll carts. I've got a 56" top & bottom combo and the 4-drawer roll cart that have been great with zero issues.

I have watched a lot of reviews on their boxes on YouTube. The construction of their boxes are awesome! Compared to the big box stores, they build them cheap and over price them. When I grow up, I want to change over from my Crapsman boxes to the US Generals!

I needed a 1/2 drill, bought a Bauer, didn't cut it, exchanged it for a Hercules. I have not used it much, but, when I do, I asked it to do things it wasn't designed for, and it does the job!
When I used it to lower the jack on my trailer, ( I took off the handle, and put a socket on it) You best be holding on to it, or it WILL Jerk the drill out of your hands. Very strong drill!

The Vulcan OmniPro 220 multiprocess welder is good IMO. Bought one a couple years ago and for the money I think it fits my bill. Lays down nice beads and burns it in hot. Welded my front driveshaft up with it and have had no issues. I'm getting ready to tackle the front axle next.

Oh I forgot about lighting. The Bauer rechargeable flashlight/wand thing with magnetic base is badass. Picked one up for $24 I believe on sale. Love it and use it all the time. Also, the LED shop lights are good. 5000 lumen, 4' shop light for $20 on sale.

1/2 drive impact allen by pittsburgh. Lifetime warranty. Had a 3' pipe on my craftsman breaker bar and the 3/8 held up just fine.

1/2" drill .... I use one to raise and lower my big Coleman pop-up top.
Does it a breeze! With lotsa oomph left over.
I've actually used it to drill holes too.

The basic central Pnuematic airgun. Abuse worthy. Oiled it like twice in 10 years.
Still going strong.

Their floor jacks ..... nuff said.

SDS Max drill bits. They were the only place that had them in stock and were open when I needed them. And waaaaay cheaper than everywhere else.

have had mostly bad luck with service and tool purchases from HF, but I have a bright orange chicago heat gun that is super easy to find and always gets hot. I have a 3/8" breaker bar I bought in a pinch that also seems to function as a long pc. of metal with a socket on it.

The $80 Hercules 4.5'' grinders are great. I bought extras so I don't have to change attachments all the time. Very ergonomic and plenty of power.

3 ton floor jack has never let me down, except when I turn the handle CCW!

I’m currently using the 10” Chicago Electric miter saw to build my deck with a 60 tooth blade also from Harbor Freight. It bogs down when cutting thru treated 2x6’s, but it’s getting the job done and for the money, I’m not complaining. I’m not trying to break speed records with it. Today I will be putting a new blade on it as now I have the framing done, I’m ready to start installing the composite decking.

Earlier in 2019 I bought the Central Pneumatic 6 gallon 1.5 hp air compressor. If you start it up with the tank depressurized, it takes about 3 minutes to reach the pressure set point. But after that it works great. Again for the money, I’m ok with that. If I’m going to use it, I just turn it on and let it run while I gather up whatever else I need.

The US General tool boxes and roll carts. I've got a 56" top & bottom combo and the 4-drawer roll cart that have been great with zero issues.

I have a 56" roller, 44" top box, and a 5 drawer cart. They're awesome for the price.

Oh I forgot about lighting. The Bauer rechargeable flashlight/wand thing with magnetic base is badass. Picked one up for $24 I believe on sale. Love it and use it all the time. Also, the LED shop lights are good. 5000 lumen, 4' shop light for $20 on sale.

I love the light with the flex wand head. I think I got mine for $19.

I don't buy zip ties anywhere else.

I have had the big Pittsburg tool set for many years and love it. It's my mobile tool set and has some things that are not in my home box.

1/2 drive impact allen by pittsburgh. Lifetime warranty. Had a 3' pipe on my craftsman breaker bar and the 3/8 held up just fine.

Impact sockets are good in general.

Bar clamps aren't as nice as a Bessey, but if you need a bunch of them, you can't beat the price.

I also like this thing:
16 in. Digital Angle Level

OTOH, I thought I could get a single 18mm box end from there for cheap. They will only sell you a set of super shitty wrenches for $25. Bought a nice full polish one from Home Depot for $5.

Their floor jacks are garbage, but I keep buying them anyway.

Sockets, wrench sets, clamps, rubber mallets.

We put one of the abrasive chop saws through hell in college doing tube work.

Been eying one of the US General base cabinets to put my husky box on that used to stay in the enclosed trailer. Now that I keep a pretty comprehensive DeWalt wrench and socket set in the truck box, I can move my big box back to the garage.

I forgot about the drill bits! had them so long I forgot they came from HF.
I have a set of titanium coated bits that I guess I have had 15-20 yrs!
I got them back when you had to drive all the way to G-boro for the magic of HF.

I also have a Speedway Lathe.
Same as the one HF sells this one just came from the traveling tool sale that used to come through here. (Cummings Tools?)
It's a 7x14 I modded to a 7x31 er so ..... another very long time purchase still going strong.

Also and electric impact from the same people ..... and yup, same as the HF one.
Pretty darn strong and still going.

Bought a HF 18" 1/2" swivel breaker bar last week. I was at northern the other day and saw theirs was more expensive and less quality. I also got one of those folding braun lights for xmass, that thing is hella bright and sturdy.the magnet is very strong too.

Last edited:
I've got the same one, and I love it. I've also got a set of combination wrenches, they carry a lifetime warranty and I haven't had to use it yet. FWIW, I've broken more Craftsman wrenches/ratchets than I have Harbor Freight...

I've used many dozens of the cutting discs and other consumables from there...gloves, eye protection... I also have a screwdriver set that I haven't worn out yet.

I’ve had their 3 ton floor jack for at least 15 years and it hasn’t let me down.

I also purchased some of the 1/2” Ingersol Rand impact sockets at least 15 years ago from HF and they continue to serve their purpose, even after being very abused.

I e had decent luck with the grinding and cut off wheels. I refuse to pay $7 per grinding wheel from Lowes; HF seems to have just as good performance as the expensive wheels for 1/4 cost. And I haven’t had any issues with the wheels shattering.

I did buy a trailer tongue tool box for cheap that I’ve been impressed with aside from the cheap ass paint job.

I don’t currently have one but have had good luck with some of their winches in the past.

jumbo wrenches from HF are cheap and have performed well the few times I needed.

Back