What have you done for your health today?

Single Ingredient eating is really not that difficult. You just have to try it. Buy some chicken breast(or any kind of meat), any kind of veggie, and some basmati rice. Simple, cheap, and nutritious. Flavor it how you like. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store, don't shop the middle aisles. If it can sit out and not rot after a while, its not food. I used to to go to lunch/dinner everyday. Spent a fortune on food and got fat. Now the wife and I spend about $100 every week or so and that covers breakfast/lunch/dinner. We usually bulk cook our protein(chicken/turkey bacon/ground turkey/steak) and our bulk carbs(sweet potatoes/rice) on Sundays and store it in the refrigerator. Meal prep is tossing a premeasured chicken breast in a container with a carb and then adding some kind of vegetable. We do both frozen vegetables and fresh ones as well. We eat a ton of broccoli so it makes sense to buy it frozen. Once you do it for a week and get a pattern down its very easy to do.

@Ron, with that VG diet, are you just eating steak/eggs for 5 days, then refeeding, then back to steak and eggs for another 5 days repeat? I would assume that diet would be great for bodybuilders/people who spend 4-5hours in a gym as its a ton of protein every meal. I've heard about that diet before but don't know a whole lot about it.

Since the first rule of Crossfit is to always talk about Crossfit, here is their definition of nutrition/exercise.

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."

I've found this works best for me as I get insanely bored of routines at a regular gym. You dont have to be in shape at all. I started out barely being able to walk(bad back) and overweight(245lbs). Since then, I don't have back issues anymore and have lost a lot of fat and put on a fair amount of muscle. I'm stronger now then when I was in high school while playing 3 sports and have a lot more endurance.

A few people have posted about gaining muscle who have the same problem that I do. My genetics gave me a skinny build. I am 6'2", and would weigh 175-180 lbs if I didn't lift weights, and just ate healthy and got regular cardio exercise. About five years ago I decided to try and build some muscle, and have been reasonably successful. I will throw out some broscience that I have learned over the past 5 years. Building muscle requires three things: Lifting, eating, and sleeping. You cannot build muscle if you do not do all three properly.

Lifting:
- The simple rule is to lift heavy weights as frequently as your body will allow with recovery
- There are two types of exercises/movements. Isolation, and compound. An example of an isolation exercise is bicep curls. You are only working one muscle. An example of a compound movement is the bench press. You are using your pec muscles, front delts, and triceps. The most bang for the buck will come from doing compound movements like bench press, squat, deadlift, pull-ups, chin-ups, dumbbell rows/bent over rows, over head press etc.
- Typically it is a good idea to exhaust your muscles with some compound movements first, then finish off with some isolation work, such as doing some pull ups, chin ups, dumbbell rows, then ending the workout with some bicep curls. That is a typical back and bi's workout.
- What you are doing to your muscles when lifting is creating micro tears in the muscle fibers. Over the few days following the lifting, your muscles will repair themselves getting slightly stronger and bigger. You want to hit the muscle again after it has recovered. If you lift again too soon, you won't get much stronger. If you wait too long to lift again (skipped workouts for example), you won't get much stronger. Beginners need to start off easy with low volume, which will allow you to hit the same muscle 2-3x a week. Most intermediate to advanced lifters will only hit the same muscle 1-1.5x per week, or 4-7 days between lifting.
- The generally accepted process is doing 3-8 sets of the same exercise for 5-10 reps. You typically want to do 1-3 warm up sets, 3 heavy sets, with optional 1-2 drop sets or burnout sets at the end.
- Proper form is key to avoiding injury as well as not going too heavy. Watch youtube videos to learn proper form.

Eating:
- Protein is the building block of muscle. You need to be eating 0.75-1g of protein per pound of body weight. For example, a 200 lb man needs to consume 150-200 grams of protein every day. Preferably, you would spread out your protein consumption throughout the day getting some at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and possibly even with snacks.
- You will also need to eat healthy fats like avocados, almonds, olive oil for cooking etc
- Vegetables are your friend too
- You need to be eating enough food to fuel your bodies needs to repair itself and grow. You cannot build muscle if you don't fuel your body.
- Alcohol and sugar reduce testosterone levels. If you are lifting heavy, you want to maximize your natural testosterone levels, so you need to eliminate these substances from your diet.
- Some people like some caffeine before they lift to give them some extra energy in the gym.
- You need to have some food in your system before lifting, or you will run out of energy during your workout. I personally cannot workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning or at any point during the day. I need to have some food in my system and be hydrated.

Sleep:
- Most people will need 7+ hours of good deep REM sleep for their bodies to recover from the workouts. Your natural testosterone and hgh levels are replenished during REM sleep.
- If you have trouble sleeping, things like ZMA or Melatonin can help you get a solid nights sleep.

What you can expect:
- The average healthy male will can gain about 1 lb of muscle per month for the first year if they are doing everything correctly. A young (high T levels) genetically larger person will gain more, while an older (low T levels) smaller person will gain less. The second year you will only gain about half of what you did the first year, and the third year you will only gain about half of what you did the second year. So the average person would go something like 12 lbs in year one, 6 lbs in year two, and 3 lbs in year three for a total of 21 lbs of muscle.

Last edited:
@Ron, with that VG diet, are you just eating steak/eggs for 5 days, then refeeding, then back to steak and eggs for another 5 days repeat? I would assume that diet would be great for bodybuilders/people who spend 4-5hours in a gym as its a ton of protein every meal. I've heard about that diet before but don't know a whole lot about it.

VG was my short hand for Vince Gironda, the creator of it.

Correct 5-1-5-1-5-1.

This evening I will link my daily tracker. You can watch what the re-feed does. Its kind of interesting. There are also reasons to skip a refeed depending on scale and how you feel. Etc.
You can rabbit hole down the internet for 1,000 variations.

I have a couple separate comments about this:
When salt and fried foods were declared "unhealthy" many years ago, I basically cut out adding salt to foods. There's enough already in most foods to blow your BP off the charts. I use a lot more pepper than most people. Pepper also makes you feel a bit more full because it's more robust. So now I also like hot sauces too but I'm talking about a good homemade or Texas Pete, not a saucy thick sauce. There is an amazing amount of taste in many foods but people are so used to condiments, sauces, and salt that they don't taste the food anymore. I can easily eat a burger with pepper jack cheese, diced Jalapenos, lettuce and tomato and be as happy as I can be with the taste. I don't automatically choose fried foods unless I'm at a legendary seafood place that has great fried fish or maybe Price's Chicken Coop. We don't cook lean and over healthy so what we cook is what we got. I will drink a sweet iced tea with lunch but rarely have a refill. Same with a soda if I'm dragging but they aren't a regular thing. I get tired of water all the time so coffee in the morning, water most of the day, soda or tea at lunch, beers in the evening...too many but hey.
I do landscaping so I am active and physical all day and I'm not a couch potato so down time at home is dong something. I have historically gone to a gym for the past 25 years, sometimes more regular than others. My knees have ruined my physical fitness. Right knee started in 2010 and I suffered with it unto 2017 and got a replacement and now just got the left one replaced 3 weeks ago. I hear of so many people running, doing super heavy weights, Crossfit, and I just cringe. You are definitely hurting your joints. My workouts in the past 10 years were body workouts with lots of reps, short breaks, and ample cardio. We were doing lots of burpees, jumps, etc., and I cut those out entirely. Push ups, sit upd, core exercises, and cardio are/will be me going forward, plus walking.
A long time ago my grandmother was commenting on dieting and she said something that has always stuck with me. "Eat your fill at every meal but don't over do it. That way you won't want to snack between meals."
I can get low blood sugar fairly easy so starvation diets do not work for me. I have to have substantial food. If I miss breakfast or only have a salad at lunch I'll be a wreck within a couple of hours.

For me this will be a lot about motivation finding time to fit it in. I'm not much of a morning person, but that may be my only option and I may just need to nut up. My wife's goal would be simply to get back to her pre-baby weight/body (if at all possible). As has already been mentioned, I think this is going to be a "lifestyle" change for us as opposed to just a "do this until you get there".

Your best chance for long term success is going to be lifting weights in the morning before work or during lunch if that is an option for you. Evenings with family are too hectic to make it happen consistently. The simple solution to getting up earlier is to go to bed earlier.

I would recommend Weight Watchers for your wife.

Said no husband to his wife ever.

Haha! My wife has cycled on and off of WW over the years. She has had success with that program. Whenever her weight creeps back up a few lbs and she starts talking about it, I just gently remind her that it worked for her before.

Lemme get work fired up and rolling this am and I'll answer your question @broncosbybart

I'm definitely no guru or anything. But I will offer suggestions that aided me in the past.

@Stuntman Autoworks
I was thinking about how to explain what soda does to your health in a way you would understand.
Soda is to your body what Iroks are to your buggy.
So that explains why nobody wants to buy my iroks huh... lol Ive not drank soda in a year and 4 months, and I can def say after you get away from soda even caffeine free I felt a ton better! I’m 4 weeks into only water intake and I can also tell a diff in my energy bc I was drinking sweet tea non stop only after soda and really wasn’t much better than soda imo!

Haha! My wife has cycled on and off of WW over the years. She has had success with that program. Whenever her weight creeps back up a few lbs and she starts talking about it, I just gently remind her that it worked for her before.
Smart man gentle encouragement helps. My woman says I’m a whale and I’m like babe I’ve never wanted to screw a whale so you are def doing better than a humpback... that’s a night on the couch tho hahaha

I finally have a little timne to breathe here at work, so here goes a long post.

@broncosbybart here is a very typical day for me:
Breakfast is organic plain Greek yogurt with some honey and a bananna.
Mid morning and mid day snacks are a mix of carrots, apples, unsalted peanuts, hummus, etc
Lunch most days is a almond butter and honey sammich on sprouted bread. More peanuts and an apple.
Supper is usually along the lines of a medium portion chicken, steak or fish. But not every meal. Maybe 4 times a week. My wife loves to cook beans in the crock pot, so we have those frequently too. Add some homemade salsa, spinach and wrap up in a healthy high fiber spinach wrap.
You'll see I don't completely exclude muliti-ingredient stuff, but I really limit them. The breads or wraps I choose are high fiber and low gluten. When on plan, no fries, chips, candy or other obvious unhealthy items.

I can admit that I can go overboard when unhealthy foods are available. I know it, so I have to be mindful of it. I can't sit around and watch a movie knowing I have sour cream and onion chips in the kitchen and NOT have some. So for me, I have to not have that stuff around me. My will power just isn't strong enough.

Most of my childhood I was a chubby kid. Not fat really, but chubby. When adulthood hit and I was able to choose what I ate, I would choose fast food and going out to eat entirely too much. Lots of soda as well. My ex wife drank Mtn Dew like it was water. Like 10-12 cans a day. So I drank it too. I hit 298# in fall of 2003 and had to do something about it. I cleaned my diet and became active. I made it down to 208 but maintained a healthy 215 for a few years.

Somehow it slowly crept back up to 285 or so in 2016. When I saw myself in a picture with my wife (previous page) I was disappointed in what I had allowed to happen to myself. I began that day eating well. By fall I was down to like 210 and was running 1/2 marathons without issue. I turned 40 in 2017 and in the best shape and condition of my life. No six pack abs or anything, but blood panels came back perfect, BP ideal, cholesterol perfect. That sets me up for the next 40 to have the opportunity to be good, health wise.

Currently, I'm right at 230. Healthy and fit, but not going the direction I should. I run, hike and mountain bike quite a bit but my diet has been crap since fall. Between moving, some serious stress at work, house renovations, etc I made the choice to eat foods that were not the best choice. I knew it when I was eating them, but chose to do so anyway.

I'm gonna open up a bit here as I find it therapeutic to do so. Maybe it'll help someone else too

Last year I began seeing a life coach/therapist/whatever you wanna call it. She's been a true asset to my mental health. Getting my head back on right has also allowed me to see how I use food to combat stress and anxiety. I was definitely going to food when I was having a bad day. Taking clients to lunch, meeting friends for meals, etc. That's fine when you can establish a balance. I however, was not balanced. I was also working in my shop completely too much. Working late and grabbing fast food or gas station garbage on the way home, just to sit on the couch until bed. It crept up on me. Work stress coupled with being beyond buried in working in my shop gave me the opportunity to turn to food as a stress reliever. The weight started adding back up. I have put way too much effort into being healthy (not skinny, not thin, but healthy) both physically and mentally to allow food to wreck it. Again. I know quite a few people that followed my transformation and did the same thing themselves. I'd be letting them down by returning to my old habits.

So what am I doing about it? I started this thread to keep myself accountable. I continue to see my PLC when I feel the need. Most importantly I am destressing my life. Taking out the things that keep me from having the time and energy to maintain good health. I have all but quit working in my shop aside from personal and family projects. I am learing to say no and put myself and my needs first. I don't let work stress weigh me down. It will be a work in progress but anything worthwhile usually is.

Look, we are all family here. Some are the black sheep, some are the wise old timers and some are the @McCracken. When given the opportunity to aid one another and ecourage each other, it's a real blessing for all parties involved.

I’ve switched to Himalayan salt and found it’s not as bad for you but not sure if that necessarily accurate anyone confirm this?? If I ever got pulled over and searched I’m sure a drug test will be performed on my salt container I have in the truck lol

I finally have a little timne to breathe here at work, so here goes a long post.

@broncosbybart here is a very typical day for me:
Breakfast is organic plain Greek yogurt with some honey and a bananna.
Mid morning and mid day snacks are a mix of carrots, apples, unsalted peanuts, hummus, etc
Lunch most days is a almond butter and honey sammich on sprouted bread. More peanuts and an apple.
Supper is usually along the lines of a medium portion chicken, steak or fish. But not every meal. Maybe 4 times a week. My wife loves to cook beans in the crock pot, so we have those frequently too. Add some homemade salsa, spinach and wrap up in a healthy high fiber spinach wrap.
You'll see I don't completely exclude muliti-ingredient stuff, but I really limit them. The breads or wraps I choose are high fiber and low gluten. When on plan, no fries, chips, candy or other obvious unhealthy items.

I can admit that I can go overboard when unhealthy foods are available. I know it, so I have to be mindful of it. I can't sit around and watch a movie knowing I have sour cream and onion chips in the kitchen and NOT have some. So for me, I have to not have that stuff around me. My will power just isn't strong enough.

Most of my childhood I was a chubby kid. Not fat really, but chubby. When adulthood hit and I was able to choose what I ate, I would choose fast food and going out to eat entirely too much. Lots of soda as well. My ex wife drank Mtn Dew like it was water. Like 10-12 cans a day. So I drank it too. I hit 298# in fall of 2003 and had to do something about it. I cleaned my diet and became active. I made it down to 208 but maintained a healthy 215 for a few years.

Somehow it slowly crept back up to 285 or so in 2016. When I saw myself in a picture with my wife (previous page) I was disappointed in what I had allowed to happen to myself. I began that day eating well. By fall I was down to like 210 and was running 1/2 marathons without issue. I turned 40 in 2017 and in the best shape and condition of my life. No six pack abs or anything, but blood panels came back perfect, BP ideal, cholesterol perfect. That sets me up for the next 40 to have the opportunity to be good, health wise.

Currently, I'm right at 230. Healthy and fit, but not going the direction I should. I run, hike and mountain bike quite a bit but my diet has been crap since fall. Between moving, some serious stress at work, house renovations, etc I made the choice to eat foods that were not the best choice. I knew it when I was eating them, but chose to do so anyway.

I'm gonna open up a bit here as I find it therapeutic to do so. Maybe it'll help someone else too

Last year I began seeing a life coach/therapist/whatever you wanna call it. She's been a true asset to my mental health. Getting my head back on right has also allowed me to see how I use food to combat stress and anxiety. I was definitely going to food when I was having a bad day. Taking clients to lunch, meeting friends for meals, etc. That's fine when you can establish a balance. I however, was not balanced. I was also working in my shop completely too much. Working late and grabbing fast food or gas station garbage on the way home, just to sit on the couch until bed. It crept up on me. Work stress coupled with being beyond buried in working in my shop gave me the opportunity to turn to food as a stress reliever. The weight started adding back up. I have put way too much effort into being healthy (not skinny, not thin, but healthy) both physically and mentally to allow food to wreck it. Again. I know quite a few people that followed my transformation and did the same thing themselves. I'd be letting them down by returning to my old habits.

So what am I doing about it? I started this thread to keep myself accountable. I continue to see my PLC when I feel the need. Most importantly I am destressing my life. Taking out the things that keep me from having the time and energy to maintain good health. I have all but quit working in my shop aside from personal and family projects. I am learing to say no and put myself and my needs first. I don't let work stress weigh me down. It will be a work in progress but anything worthwhile usually is.

Look, we are all family here. Some are the black sheep, some are the wise old timers and some are the @McCracken. When given the opportunity to aid one another and ecourage each other, it's a real blessing for all parties involved.

I knew this was coming so I took a proactive step forward last night. The bourbon I had was much needed for my mental health and honestly I think I'm starting to feel the effects today. You may onto something here @Jody Treadway .

I'm in the other boat like some as well, I would love to gain a few lbs. I am basically the same weight since I was in HS. I can eat as much as I want and I don't gain anything. 5'7" and 140lbs or so.

However I can't just do all the diets and things that everybody else finds so easy. I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since I was 14. I have to carb count everything I eat and take insulin. Normal meals are much easier for me, I also have to use sugar when I work out to keep my blood sugar from crashing. I do eat pretty healthy overall though. Being T1D brings all sorts of fun to my live and different struggles than most people have and constantly fighting and changing my insulin in order to stay healthy. I do try to mountain bike 2-3 days a week when it is nice out, but I hate normal gym's.

So on a tangent, if your on the road travelling is there anywhere you can go for a decently healthy meal?
I was thinking this exact thing last night while eating dinner in the Chicago airport.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So on a tangent, if your on the road travelling is there anywhere you can go for a decently healthy meal?

Grilled chicken sandwich but toss the buns. Or pack your own food. That's what we do for most trips and wheeling outings. Like a lot of things it just takes planning

Great thread.

I have some slop of my own to clean up. 6-4 and maybe 205 (don't know but will check, not obese but carrying 15-20lbs of fat that could be dropped), but feel like shit most of the time and can honestly fall asleep any time of the day I want to. Based on annual physicals, I'm good to go. My crutch is drinking and smoking, not enough sleep, and not eating healthy. I know I can drop some LB's because I was convinced to join a challenge thing a year ago and dropped 15 in a couple months with exercise and eating better. I don't run/walk much currently but when I do I can get 2.5 miles in 30min or I can walk 4 miles in 45-50 min with no problems. I'm not setting any records but am able to put the steps in when I want to. The definition of drinking for me is 4-6 beers on the porch after the kids go to sleep or those beers with a customer or coworker on the road. With the beers come cigs. They are like PB&J to me. I can do this a few times a week typically after a shitty day. The next day....guess what? I feel like crap and am an all around a-hole to those closest to me. That ain't good! At 42, this has to change. 10 years ago, I could do whatever I wanted to do and never pay for it. Sleep for me is about 6 hrs. I hate waking up in the morning and usually get up at the last minute which puts me in rushed state which just adds more stress, lol. Speaking of stress, 10 or so years ago we didn't have the 3 kids we do now. I love my family, but there's a fair amount of stress that comes with the kiddos and it's not all good and just creates friction between me and my wife at times. She tolerates a lot and I'm lucky to have her.

I'm more concerned with becoming a better person and Daddy for those that have to live with me before they choose not to! I take nothing for granted. So I need to improve my mental and physical health. It actually helps to type this stuff out in this setting. Some of you know me, most don't. The previous paragraph makes it obvious. The beer (gawd I love beer), smokes, and late nights have to stop, now. I'm a person that needs good sleep, but am typically a night owl. I travel a good bit and entertain customers and am out with coworkers and days usually turn into long nights. Those nights have to be drawn back and so do those nights of driving half the night. I'm too old for that. I can't drive 5pm to 11pm and hit the hay anymore. Now a days that results in a terrible night's sleep for some reason. When I'm home, my head needs to be there too. Put the work down and be Daddy. You can't fake Daddy will trying to keep an eye on work stuff at the same time. They know and it just creates stress and makes them feel less important. Not cool. I've been on mild antidepressants for anxiety for a while but my lifestyle probably just cancels them out or makes things worse. I plan to talk to someone about that in a couple of weeks...do I need them or not, more/less, different, whatever.

My plan starting now:

1. Man up and and drop the beer. Now. When not drinking beer, I have no craving for a cigarette. 2 birds, one stone.
2. Start with 7 hours of legitimate sleep. 12-7, 11-6, 10-5 if I have to hit the road or a customer site early. I have a hard time getting to sleep before midnight, but will work on it and hope to eventually get to 8 hrs.
3. Get up at a set time every morning. This falls in the sleep category, but I consider this a separate discipline for me because I'm NOT a morning person. I blame it on shift work in my previous life or maybe I'm just getting damn lazy but part of structuring my sleep will include a set wake up time. My schedule is ever changing. If I'm home, I get up with the kids and that's fine. If I'm on the road, I get up at dark:30 or can sleep in depending on what's scheduled. No more sleeping in...get up, get moving, get productive. If I can start getting up at 6, that would allow me some "me time" for the treadmill or just to get my head right for the day and get a good breakfast in my gut.
4. Get back to exercising some. 6-8 miles of fast walking per week isn't a big ask and should be a minimum, but I've gotten lazy in that regard. I really need to walk/jog 9-12 miles per week like I used to. That's not much for most folks, but it was realistic and beneficial to me.
5. Eating better: I'll be cognizant of portions and eating junk, but nothing drastic until 1 - 3 are accomplished. I'm more concerned with being a "better" person and not a smaller or stronger person right now.

In summary:
1-3 will happen at the same time.
4 will take some motivation and shop cleaning to get my bench back out (excuses, but I don't enjoy exercise)
5 will happen with 4, but 1-3 have to happen first.

You won't see me doing F3 boot camps, crossfit, or marathons anytime soon but the baby steps are starting now.

Subway 6" turkey sub with double meat, veggies, salt and pepper, and only red wine vinegar instead of any of the sauces is what I like to get.

Today's workout was 25 minutes on the incline treadmill followed by 4 sets of upright rows with the EZ curl bar.

This week is abnormal for me since I wasn't at work Monday and Tuesday and I go to the gym during my lunch break.

Salt by itself isn’t necessarily bad. Salt in excess is bad. If your diet is single ingredient foods, it’s very likely you are going to deplete your salt and will need some on your food. Plus, it makes food taste better.

There has been very little mention about sleep. Sleep is just as important as exercising or eating right. Not enough and your body just doesn’t recover like it should. This is where I have fallen behind; I only sleep about 4 hours a night. I need to figure out how to change that. But, with going to work at 6am and getting off at 7 or later, then driving home, preparing meals, working out, working on other construction projects, or daily tasks that need tending, it seems I can’t ever get to bed before midnight

Last edited:
Get a burrito bowl or salad from Chipotle. Ingredients are pretty clean, price is fair, and they are in most cities.

This is my daily routine that has worked for me in the past and what I try to stick to (less recently).

2 glasses of water
Boot camp workout in the morning followed by more water. Sometimes some weight training for 15-30 minutes. More water. Recently I’ve changed my workout to the evenings due to work. Work outs are now focusing on running and are now just about 2-3 times a week.

Breakfast is usually 2 boiled or poached eggs with some avacado and tomato. Occasionally I’ll put it on a whole grain slice of bread or some cloud bread.
I’ll switch it up with some nonfat Greek yougert with some sort of fruit. More yogurt, less fruit.

Morning and afternoon snack consists of carrot sticks or other fresh veggie and sometimes with hummus. I sometimes mix in raw nuts (mostly almonds).

Lunch and dinner is about 6 oz of lean protein, steamed veggies, and basmati rice or seeet potatoes.

Don’t forget lots of water! I mix up dinners and lunches with fresh other foods. I may do grilled chicken or steak on a fresh spinach salad with baslmic vinegar (no or very little oil).

I try to keep snacks to under 200 calories and meals under 500-600. With fresh veggies, it’s really easy once you really start working with it. And, you won’t be hungry.

Last edited:

Grilled chicken salads from any of the fast food places with minimal dressing can be an option. Personally when I travel, I have local favorites and order as healthy as possible. I also hit up Whole Foods, Publix and other grocery stores that have salad bars. I can load up a very healthy salad there and price is reasonable.

In fact I have a harder time at home than on the road. The wifey loves to bake and can make some killer cookies, pies and cakes. Of course I have minimal will power so I struggle with that goodness around.

Men, if you need a good group of guys that makes workouts fun and can hold you accountable, go to f3nation.com and find a workout close to you. All workouts are free, led by those in the group, open to all men, no man gets left behind, and meet outside rain or shine. I can’t say enough good things about it and about the men that are a part of it. And don’t be intimidated, the fitness levels of everyone varies greatly, from very fit to haven’t moved since high school. Everyone is reminded to “Modify as necessary” if you can’t do an activity in the workout. There are different types of workouts too, bootcamp style, kettle bells, running, and broga.

Our bootcamp today in the pouring rain started with typical warmups, but then the meat of it involved throwing tires, lifting concrete blocks, bear crawling, burpees, pushups, and lots of other fun stuff. After the main thang, we do some core exercises, pray, and we’re done.

Sometimes during a hard workout or run I question why I am doing this, but as soon as it’s over and for the rest of the day, you can’t wipe the smile off my face. I’ve had 3 back surgeries in 2 years, and I feel like I’m stronger now than I’ve been in my adult life.

For the women, there is something similar, Females In Action (FIA).

Back