What have you done for your health today?

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
It's a new year and a fresh opportunity to make ourselves healthier, both physically and mentally.

Sometimes accountability really helps people to maintain their desire to acheive goal. That's apparent in our build threads. So why not have the same sort of thread for our most important vehicle, our own bodies?

Post up what you have done today to aid your overall fitness. A walk at lunch, 15 minutes on the treadmill, had a salad instead of fried food at lunch, whatever. Post up your goals for the year and what you plan to do to achieve them.

I love a good heckling, but this isn't the thread for it. Let's keep this one on track in order to support each other. I'll pull my super mod card and clean it up if I need to

Let's as a community make 2019 a great one for our health!

Last edited:
My goals for 2019:
Continue to stay on track with my day to day diet. Over the winter I have added about 10# that shouldn't be there. I'm back on a pretty strict no blatant BS food, primarily whole food based diet. I am training for 2 races currently and hope to run a presonal best 5k and 10k this year. I'd like to get back to a healthy balance of fitness and diet.

Performance goals:
25 minute 5K
55 minute 10K
3.5 hour 25K (Feb 3rd)
Mtn bike 1000 miles

Very inspiring thread. If I ever get enough gumption to quit smoking I'll join in.

If you stop buying them, you won't smoke them.
I used to dip. Until I spent nearly $10k on dental surgeries, crowns, root canals, etc to repair the damage from it. It's still a struggle sometimes, but I have to remind myself of the damage caused by it.
Maybe you can treat smoking in a similar way?

Nothing until I get home. Then it's back on the strict diet. Got married and put some weight in. Roofed my house and injured my knee, had to stop running. I put on more weight then I wanted. Time to get back on track.

Well, I haven’t dipped since early November other than 2 slip ups, that somehow didn’t derail me back to full time Copenhagen love. I just don’t enjoy it anymore!

Haven’t had carbs all year, and I’ve been getting up early each morning to hit the treadmill, do some basic push ups and sit-ups, and cook a breakfast of eggs and bacon. I realize bacon probably isn’t the best for me, but come on, it’s bacon!

I am currently 240lbs :eek: the biggest I’ve ever been. I want to be at 210ish by the time I go to AOP in March and under 200 by summer. My plan is simple, don’t over do it and don’t set goals so high I get discouraged. Right now I’m only doing about 20 minutes of exercise, but as that gets easier I plan to do a little more and get up a little earlier each morning.

I lost 65lbs in about 12 months. Wife went back to work in August, sent us in to a terrible habit of grabbing whatever was convenient. Then kid #2 comes 2 months ago and basically every meal has turned in to carry out. In 4 months I've put half of what I lost back on. I was so close to being under 3 bills for the first time since high school. In the last 3-4 months I also went from 2 years off any kind of tobacco (cigars/Copenhagen), back to a 2 tin/day habit. Wanna get both of those fixed.

I lost 65lbs in about 12 months. Wife went back to work in August, sent us in to a terrible habit of grabbing whatever was convenient. Then kid #2 comes 2 months ago and basically every meal has turned in to carry out. In 4 months I've put half of what I lost back on. I was so close to being under 3 bills for the first time since high school. In the last 3-4 months I also went from 2 years off any kind of tobacco (cigars/Copenhagen), back to a 2 tin/day habit. Wanna get both of those fixed.

Being supportive but also motivating...

What's keeping you from getting back on track?

Last edited:
Being supportive...

What's keeping you from getting back on track?

Excuses and self-control...you know how it goes, do badly one meal...it spins into the day. Do badly for a day, it turns into the week. Before you know it, you've spiraled out of control. I blame it on the wife going starting a new school year and a new baby, but they didn't make me order two double chili cheese burgers for lunch yesterday. I have no idea where the tobacco came back in to play though, don't even like it, comfort with the oral fixation (go ahead and somebody sig that).

I'm the same way @UTfball68. Last year after a 30K at Norris Dam State Park, my wife and I were starved. We justified a horrible meal based on just having ran the race. Howver, that one meal sabotaged the work we had put into the race. That meal began a series of poor meal choices for me that added a few pounds over winter.
What I have to do is allow my wife to hold me seriously accountable and I do the same for her. If I don't have it in the house, I won't eat it.

Maybe this thread and be used as a motivator for you to admit when you're having a craving and then post your conquer over it. Sounds whatever, but who gives a crap if it helps?

Last edited:
I'm the same way @UTfball68. Last year after a 30K at Norris Dam Staet Park, my wife and we're starved. We justified a horrible meal based on just having ran the race. Howver, that one meal sabotaged the work we had put into the race. That meal began a series of poor meal choices for me that added a few pounds over winter.
What I have to do is allow my wife to hold me seriously accountable and I do the same for her. If I don't have it in the house, I won't eat it.

Maybe this thread and be used as a motivator for you to admit when you're having a craving and then post your conquer over it. Sounds whatever, but who gives a crap if it helps?

I think it's a great idea honestly. I was about to go blow $15 on tacos and quesadillas, but this thread legitimately made me rethink that...going with some granola and yogurt.

I think it's a great idea honestly. I was about to go blow $15 on tacos and quesadillas, but this thread legitimately made me rethink that...going with some granola and yogurt.

Bad choice on the granola and yogurt. Look at the sugar in both. That processed crap is no better than a cheeseburger to be honest.
Plain Greek yogurt is a good option as it is full of protein. Add a little honey for flavor and rock out.

Got a bbq plate from wWhataburger but no large cherry lemon sundrop. I use to never drink sodas until 3 years ago when we moved out to Mt pleasant. Use to just treat myself with a cherry lemon when eating there occasionally, then would stop just to get a drink and it's now turned into a bad habit/addiction..

In my teens and 20s spent most of my free time on a dirt bike and raced hard scrambles. Then in my early 30s had our first son which took my free time, now with my second son free time is just a fond memory. My plan is to get back to a more active lifestyle now the kids are able to ride motorcycles and 4wheelers. My wife has started us on the whole 30 diet to help reset our body's and hopefully help her loose the stubborn baby weight. So far I've learned that we ate a lot of sugar, but that won't be the hard part. It's my love of a good cold beer after a long day. Man I love beer! I haven't went 30 days without a cold one since high school. One up side I can have lots of bacon!

Bad choice on the granola and yogurt. Look at the sugar in both. That processed crap is no better than a cheeseburger to be honest.
Plain Greek yogurt is a good option as it is full of protein. Add a little honey for flavor and rock out.

Organic Greek yogurt is what I use and the granola isn’t really granola, it’s a ‘protein’ granola type thing that’s basically plain/unsalted nuts.

My goals for 2019:
Performance goals:
25 minute 5K
55 minute 10K
3.5 hour 25K (Feb 3rd)
Mtn bike 1000 miles
Do you worry about wearing out your knees? I know a couple of runners that have been running for 20+ years and they are having knee and ankle issues.
I have been lifting weights for 36 years. It has kept me in shape but now my shoulders are shot.

don't even like it, comfort with the oral fixation

I have always had an oral fixation. Ever since I can remember I've chewed the rings under bottle caps, the bottom of plastic bottles, tons of gum, etc. It's no wonder chewing tobacco of any sort became a struggle too. I haven't had anything to dip since mid October or early November. This past week has been a bear. I actually bought a tin Saturday and took it home, but somehow tossed it instead of using it.

A handful of goals I've "started" over the past couple months:
1. Stay dip free.
2. Trim my weight back to a more healthy point. I have gained about 35lb in the past year after losing about 25lb the year before. This is a combination of several factors. I got married last year and in wedding planning and whatnot it was easier to got out to eat. Restaurants serve me about time and half more than I need, but I always clean my plate. Exercise was pushed to the side because of time limitations. I started drinking more often and more than necessary. Weight control is a three point plan.
a. Stop drinking so much (3-5 drinks 2-4x week). This has started out as I have not has a drink since the 30th.
b. Stop eating when I am full. In the past I stop when the plate is clear or I'm uncomfortable, then I have dessert.
c. Exercise. I have gym memberships through work, but don't use them. Right now I want to walk a mile 3x week. My short term goal is 30 minutes of cardio 3x week. Long term add weight training and more frequent/longer card

Do you worry about wearing out your knees? I know a couple of runners that have been running for 20+ years and they are having knee and ankle issues.
I have been lifting weights for 36 years. It has kept me in shape but now my shoulders are shot.

I only trail run for training now. I will run a road 5k, but that's it.
Even at my lightest race weight (208 lbs) the impact is substantial. For running, every additional pound is like 5 pounds on your joints. Definitely have to be mindful.

I need to loose 30 lbs. I lost 10 last summer but just not drinking sodas.

I plan on walking/hunting with the dogs more this year. Got a good start on that on New Year’s Day and walked 5 miles and totaled 3900 ft of elevation change chasing them up and down the side of the mountain... the dog ran 16 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to be at 205 lbs by the end of the year with the exact same waist size. I was 201.6 this morning. 3-3.5 lbs of muscle gain will be tough since I have been at this a while now, but I am going to focus more on legs this year than in the past, so that should help.

I work out during my lunch hour every day. I did back yesterday, so hit chest and tris today. I started off with some flat barbell bench, then some flys on the peck deck machine, followed by some shoulder press on the machine since both barbells were being used. I finished off with rope pull downs and V-bar pull downs.

Alright I'll check in, asshole.

Background
Ive been overweight all my life. No seriously. I weighed 10lbs at birth and all through childhood I was never on the weight charts.
When I graduated high school I weighed 295lbs but I wore a size 36 pants. So I was definitely fat, I had a gut, but I also had a lot of muscle mixed in. Life and stuff happened weight has gone up and down a few times. In 2012 I decided I needed tog get my weight in check. I saw 299 on the scale and Id never weighed 300. So I got serious and got down to a low of 238 lbs. Everyone I knew told me great I looked. But by BMI I was still obese. Slowly that weigh crept back on.

Mid point of last year I quit ever getting on a scale. Then the week of Christmas I saw a picture taken of me on 12/15. Damn I was fat. Not my normal fat but damn that's bad fat. I got on a scale. Id never seen 300 before so I went right past that straight to 320. Something had to be done. I made a commitment to get smaller, no matter what. Im going at this health and diet first but nothing is off the table. Surgery, Crack, vacumuming fat out of my ass..I dont know. But I will get smaller. I have a target number we will get to that in a minute.

Step 1 (Goal 1)
Alcohol is bad for weight. Its a trifecta of suckage. Its 1) empty calories 2) dampens your metabolism 3) removes inhibitions and causes me to eat more bad stuff.
Goal 1 : Zero alcohol until further notice. I love a drink but its killing me. I love my self and kids more than booze.

Step 2
That seemed easy and obvious. But what next. Diet. Lifestyle. Call it what you want but what food goes into my giant head hole. A year ago at the urging of @Jody Treadway I went 2 months vegetarian.those who know me know how ridiculous that sounds. I didnt lose any weight and I felt like shit the first month. I dont know what to do...but I knew someone to call whom I trusted. I grew up with a guy who is an MD..who was always heavy like me through high school. We lifted together we generally had the same food preferences etc. He is now a practicing doctor and fitness competitor. Single digit body fat. I've always suspected he self prescribed himself steroids or HGH but absent proof I wont throw baseless accusations.

I called him up and we had lunch on Christmas eve. Its been 5 years since we spoke. He gave me a diet plan that sounds crazy. But its old and time tested. Not his, developed by a famous trainer who he knew I had great respect for. He told me to run it for a month and see where my weight was. Its a pretty crazy regimen. It isnt a lifestyle. That will adapt later but for now I need intense shock therapy to get started. This is designed to basically force healthy, fast weight loss or identify a medical problem. I'm not blaming my fatassedness on imaginary medical issues...so this should do the trick.
On 12/27 I was 319 and I started the plan.This morning I was 309. That's 10lbs in 7 days. A good start but looong way to go.
Goal 2: Stay on the VG diet until 2/1/19 at least and re-assess weight at that time.

Step 3
Ok we got the road block (alcohol) out of the way. And a fuel plan (diet) honestly where I am right now that should be enough to see considerable weight loss. But this isnt just about vanity. I want to improve my health as well. If Im being painfully honest I'm in really poor health. Aint been to a doctor in 3 years apparently. Need to get a physical and blood work for a "where am I" reference. Dont like doctors. Never felt comfortable going. Ive got to get over that...and get a health baseline. And then Ive got to get some movement incorporated into my life. My job is almost completely sedintary these days.

Goal 3: Go to Dr. Get physical and blood work done.
Goal 4: Move. Im not trying to race the world and need small steps. Plan is for 60 minutes of intentional movement per week. This will expand over time but its a start.

Ill post more later for now duty calls.

Back