what kind of auto insurance?

Bobbyp.

Mad Mudders 4x4 Club
hey guys im shopping for new auto insurance allstate is trying to screw me over. just wanting to see what everybody had and how they liked them???

My family has been with state farm for the past 30-40 yrs and have never had a problem.

NC Farm Bureau. We're under $600 per 6 months for two drivers with two vehicles with full coverage and my WJ with liability only. We have our homeowners, life, and auto policies with them.

I know folks laugh...but I've been with either Geico or Progressive since high school. Currently have 3 vehicles with Geico (1 with Hagerty), 1 full coverage...1 with liability and collision and the Bronco is just liability. All 3 cost me right at $120/mo. I'm 26 and haven't had any kind of ticket in 7 years. My only real interactions with Geico are payments and policy renewal...never had to make a claim (knock on wood).

cheapest iv found so far is progressive and they are about $30 to $40 cheaper per month than anyone else.

progressive for about 10yrs now, bare minimum on most of my junk, I think the minivan we bought brand new stil has some collision, filed a couple glass claims when we had full coverage, but thats about it. They were the cheapest, I've shopped around a few times, still the cheapest.

Just bought new insurance last month and esurance had both geico and progressive beat by 30-40 a month. There tech support line was also very helpfully in the process, and spoke English, which is a huge plus these days.

I give Nationwide about $500 a month and I will tell you Nationwide is not on your side.

I just had a claim cause the wife just lost her wedding ring and they tried to convince me that her gold and diamonds weren't wort as much as the nine year old appraisal said. I'm like damn I better sell my gold investments if gold prices are going down :rolleyes: I ended up getting my full amount after raising hell on the phone for a total of about five hours.

Nationwide has gone down hill over the past couple of years. We have seen this working with them in housing claims. They want to dispute everything.

My question is...has anyone here ever been that person that saves a bazillion dollars by changing companies??? I always shop around when my policy is about to expire. I call a half dozen to a dozen different providers and it never fails, the cheapest provider (always Geico or Progressive) and the most expensive provider are always within $25/mo of each other, with the exact same parameters. The only way I would think the big dollar savings they advertise would happen is if you're going from one of the more expensive providers with full coverage to Geico with liability coverage, and you have incidents clearing off your record.

My question is...has anyone here ever been that person that saves a bazillion dollars by changing companies??? I always shop around when my policy is about to expire.

I've actually heard that you have to stay with a company for a few years and establish a history before you get the "best" rates. It could well be a self-serving myth created by insurance companies looking to hold clients, but I've messed around a few times with changing insurers, and it was never enough of a price difference to "matter"... especially if it meant giving up a known quantity for a 3rd-rate provider that would drop me if I tried to use my zero-deductible comprehensive to get a new windshield.

My question is...has anyone here ever been that person that saves a bazillion dollars by changing companies??? I always shop around when my policy is about to expire. I call a half dozen to a dozen different providers and it never fails, the cheapest provider (always Geico or Progressive) and the most expensive provider are always within $25/mo of each other, with the exact same parameters. The only way I would think the big dollar savings they advertise would happen is if you're going from one of the more expensive providers with full coverage to Geico with liability coverage, and you have incidents clearing off your record.

Most of those are people that are coming of points on their license. Say you got a ticket 3 years ago and got points for it. However your auto insurance renewed 3 months after those points showed up. Your last renewal with your current auto insurance (30 months later) will carry the points also, but your points really go off your record 3 months into that last renewal. Switch insurance companies and save a ton in the middle of the renewal "contract" period, your current insurance is going to lower your rates mid way through.. They may have closed that loophole since we have used it several years back.

Hopefully I am explaining that right.

Most drivers change during that time, not a ton change just to change.

Honestly unless there is something different about the way the policy is structured, or the demographic the company serves, I don't see any way there can be huge differences in companies. They are all providing the same product, based on hedging bets on the same people who statistically incur the same costs etc.

In my experience, after the dealings I've had w/ insurance companies I'd honestly rather have a local rep that I like, feel comfy with and feel like I will not get too pissed off at when a problem arises, than necessarily save a few bucks.
E.g. who would you rather deal with when something is going wrong?

I was paying roughly $1600 per 6 months with progressive. Switched to Geico and it dropped to $11xx per 6 months. Now with NC Farm Bureau I'm $5xx per 6 months. NC Farm Bureau will even write off one accident or ticket from your history so your rates don't go up. At least they have on a couple of occasions for me. I don't know how much leverage an agent has on what goes on with your policy, but I did buy my house from my insurance agent (prior to having NCFB Insurance).

My familly has used State Farm since my Grandparents started driving, and they've never had any problems. I was with State Farm until about two years ago, when they decided two of my vehicles weren't profitable. I've never had an accident or any moving violation and am nearly 27, so I have no clue how giving them money for nothing over the years wasn't profitable.

I have since switched to Erie. They came highyly recomened from friends who have them and had claims with no problems. I saved 38% on my auto insurance with them, and 26% on my home owners. I couldn't be happier.

Back