What new CB would you get?

R Q

My old Uniden finally crapped out so I need to get something new. Would love to have one built a little but I don't know anyone anymore.
Hook me up with info plz...

The Uniden Pro510XL Deplorable names is a good solid choice if your main use is just trail communication, I have that unit in a couple of my rigs, and it's never let me down.

I've been running the Cobra Classic for years. Had a resister burn out several months back, but that's expected. At work, boss is running the same radios in 5 dump trucks. The dump trucks vibrate & beat the crap out of them. There back in the shop about every 16 months, for a loose connection, but it's hard to blame the radio! Radio man says the Old ones are Better Quality than the new Chinese crap. I don't remember my year, probably around 1995. In the dump trucks, some are old & some new.

Or get your license and buy a real radio....

While I'm all for ham radio ... I am one ... if you are the only one in the group with a ham radio, you are alone.

As for CBs ..... Pawn shops. Heck I even have a couple for sale here. ( yes, shamless plug)

Matt

I've been running the Cobra Classic for years. Had a resister burn out several months back, but that's expected. At work, boss is running the same radios in 5 dump trucks. The dump trucks vibrate & beat the crap out of them. There back in the shop about every 16 months, for a loose connection, but it's hard to blame the radio! Radio man says the Old ones are Better Quality than the new Chinese crap. I don't remember my year, probably around 1995. In the dump trucks, some are old & some new.
My Uniden PC78XL (or something like that) was a great radio but this last year has lost it's mind. If I could repair it I would. Who does the work on yours at work?

Your jeep comes with one equipped from factory. It's right in the center of the steering wheel. If your talking on the CB and your rig isn't on fire then shut up :flipoff2:

2011-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-4wd-4-door-rubicon-steering-wheel_100334030_l.jpg

Came to post this LOL

Yup. Get yourself a $30 Baofeng off Amazon, and it'll walk all over somebody's "peaked and tuned" radio. And you won't come out the other end sounding like Boomhauer.

Replace the rubber duck with a vehicle mounted whip, and it'll hit anywhere in the forest. Spend a little money on a mobile radio, and you'll be able to talk simplex from the Outpost to the creek crossing on Falls Dam. Or hit Level Cross and talk to people in Greensboro.

I have a 65w Kenwood 2M mobile and with a Larsen 19" antenna it is amazing how far simplex and I have hit the 270 repeater in Garner from Winston Salem.

My Bfeng GT3 HTs have done 5 miles up at our place in the mountains, did it as a test, and they were not at their limits. They do come with Sainsonic antennas.

My Kenwood HTs are even better.

My old Kenwood TS430 will talk around the world LOL

My Uniden PC78XL (or something like that) was a great radio but this last year has lost it's mind. If I could repair it I would. Who does the work on yours at work?
I Had it in my post, but somehow it Disappeared! Just the Strange encounters I get "here". We have to travel to him; Exit 42 Electronics, at the Truck Stop at exit 42, I-77N. Troutman. 704-658-8002. He also sells CBs & antennas, tunes, repairs, installs.

Is there any other CB shops closer to Charlotte? Exit 42 takes forever to get back with me.
EDIT: nevermind, I just talked to him.

Last edited:
How often are CBs really used these days? I just got one for my Jeep since my club all has them, but in the past the group I ran around with would just use 2 way radios from Walmart. They really seemed to work great and were super simple. We used them in the tow rigs in the way to Harlan, then throw them in the rigs when we got there.

How often are CBs really used these days?

Outside of my buds on the trail and the convoy out there? I was amazed at how few truckers actually use them now. I troll 19 on the way to pick up the fellas in Nebo and it's silent for 2 hrs
I have no need to talk to someone in Greensboro while at URE o_O
I DO however like to talk to my buds on the trail and the long drives towing. Really helps you stay awake on those 12 hr days to moab. That's what makes wheeling so much fun, the conversations.
No need to speak to anyone outside of line-of-sight though so CB is just perfect.
Noise cancelling mics are pretty important though

Last edited:
Back