What say you on a Chevy 2500 6.0 pulling abilities

JNO

I’m just looking at the moment to get rid of my diesel and get a early 2000’s 6.0 gas truck, still want 4wd just because, I don’t drive my diesel enough to justify keeping it as it mostly sits, I pull my 20 foot dovetail occasionally and my 5th wheel camper a couple of times of year, for those of you that have one do they pull decent, I know they like higher rpm’s and that’s something I will have to get used to

We use a bunch of Chevy 2500 6.0 gas 4wd service trucks. Think we have about 30 of that config currently and they haul 10-12k regularly with no problem.
We keep our trucks until ~200k. Very very rarely have had any engine issues.
6L80 trans are another story.
Few rear ends and front suspension issues around 175k.

I've got a 6.0 in my 2500 suburban and pull my jeep up fancy gap at 65 with no issues.

Matt Cutler has a 6.0 in a van that pulls WAY too much with and praises that van all the time. In fact he pulled his 24ft enclosed up to the ranch last weekend with it 🤷🏿‍♂️

It's no Diesel. It won't pull like a diesel. But, like you I need a tow pig about once every 45 days or so and that's it. So it does fine (for me) for that.

Having said all that, get an 8.1 for a 5th wheel

Trust me!! I have one of those as well, and for that very reason (because it will pull a great deal better than my 6.0)

Don't forget to set aside $6k for a new transmission every 100k.

My work truck is 6.0 2500, 2wd. It's got got 490k on the clock. 1 motors, 2 transmissions, 4 rear ends. A lot of that time spent towing more than it's rated for.

I’m about to find out myself with the pawpaw special. Definitely won’t replace my diesel. But figure nice get around and pull my single car trailer places.
IMG_6995.jpeg
IMG_6996.jpeg

Having said all that, get an 8.1
FIFY

I had an 8.1 Suburban and I loved it. Wish I never sold it. Sold it to buy a truck to pull a fifth wheel camper and ended up with a 2016 Chevy 3500 dually with the 6.0/6speed. It was a good truck, never gave me any issues but I was just as happy with the 8.1/4L85.

8.1 trucks came with the Allison transmission.

I have had a couple 6.slows, both with the 6L80/85 (a 2010 and a 2016.) They will not win drag races but with that deep 1st on the transmission they will get a trailer moving without any fuss and once they get up to speed are fairly competent towing powerplants. They just suck down fuel and rev to the moon to do it sometimes. The 6L80/85 transmissions are fine, you have to flush them regularly and change the filter every time or else that plastic mesh media filter will clog and then the line pressure goes too low and the torque converter lockup clutch starts wearing and takes out the rest of the transmission. Why on earth they stopped using metal mesh filters is beyond me. My only other platform complaint is that the 2500 is too stiff up front and too soft on the rear. Never had a 3500 but maybe the heavier springs fix that issue.

I’m just looking at the moment to get rid of my diesel and get a early 2000’s 6.0 gas truck, still want 4wd just because, I don’t drive my diesel enough to justify keeping it as it mostly sits, I pull my 20 foot dovetail occasionally and my 5th wheel camper a couple of times of year, for those of you that have one do they pull decent, I know they like higher rpm’s and that’s something I will have to get used to
But but but but but diesel! I mean everyone wants one, even the kids that make them squat and like to eat bananas for the shape and not the flavor. :laughing:

In all seriousness, like said above if the truck is paid for, then that might change the discussion. I do get the fact of having it just sit there sucks, and I am sure it is worth more than you paid for (dang kids as mentioned above). If you do go gasser, I have friends that have had the 6.0 and the 8.1 and most would take the 8.1 every time. I have a 6.0 in my suburban and also as said above it gets the job done just fine pulling my jeep and trailer but I am not gonna win any speed races and I am always watching the trans temp.

What answer are you looking for? I tow 12-13K daily with a 3500 12' Dump with a 6.0 and it's fine around town but if i had to bug out, I'd take it in a second.
I also have '15 Dmax personal truck that tows my Jeep anywhere I want to go with ease.
I towed for many years with a 5.7 and then 6.0 2500 and you just drive them differently.
Nobody ever waited on me...

I have a newer diesel truck that just sits 90 percent of the time, I have and will never get rid of a pair of first gen Cummins trucks but I don’t tow much with them, I’m just wanting something for that 10 percent of the time when I do that is a little on the newer side or has some comfort,
But but but but but diesel! I mean everyone wants one, even the kids that make them squat and like to eat bananas for the shape and not the flavor. :laughing:

In all seriousness, like said above if the truck is paid for, then that might change the discussion. I do get the fact of having it just sit there sucks, and I am sure it is worth more than you paid for (dang kids as mentioned above). If you do go gasser, I have friends that have had the 6.0 and the 8.1 and most would take the 8.1 every time. I have a 6.0 in my suburban and also as said above it gets the job done just fine pulling my jeep and trailer but I am not gonna win any speed races and I am always watching the trans temp.

Yesssss look at the prices lol

I have a newer diesel that sits 90 percent of the time, I have 2 first gen Cummins that I have no intentions of selling so I won’t be without a diesel but I would like a little comfort for the 10 percent of the time when I do, I know nothing pulls like a diesel just weighing my options on a truck that will sit a lot, I appreciate all the reply’s and suggestions

Back