What shouldn’t I put in the microwave???

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
On this weekend’s episode of homeschooling, we are going to learn about microwaves and what can’t go in it.

I have an old microwave left over from a rental property and rather than toss it or let it clutter up my garage, me and the kiddos are going to have some fun with it.

I’m setting this thing up outside, and completely expect it to catch fire at some point. So, what are some things I shouldn’t put in the microwave but absolutely will? I’m not looking to destroy the microwave the first minute, but to let it be a progression and then a finale of destruction at the end. Remember, I’m doing this with the kids, so anything that can explode or cause harm to us isn’t really what I’m after, just something fun.

Remember that time you forgot and put something in the microwave for about 3 seconds and saw it sparking and said “oh shit” and pulled it out before it caught fire? Well, that kind of stuff. Things we can actually use as a tool to teach the kiddos. Actually, we are going to use it as an educational experience; kids are going to guess what will happen and why, then experiment, then research why the item exploded or sparked, or caught fire. So, while fun, it will be a teachable moment at the same time.

things that come to mind...

grapes
Eggs
Ball of foil
Unopened can of soup :D
Staples/paperclips

so, what say ye? What can we get into that won’t send us to the ER?

I would take it apart and show your kids the pieces that make it work.

Also I believe some normal house hold chemicals could be a good ending show.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

When I was in jr high years ago (remember those, before they were called middle school?). The fire department came and we evacuated because a library assistant who was a student, put a pack of paper soaked in copier toner in the faculty microwave with a ball of aluminum foil on top. I was in another wing but apparently it was spectacular.

I've heard you can stick toothpicks pointing straight up out of a potato or cork or something and fireballs come off the toothpicks, no idea if that's true or not.

I do know you don't want to put a metal pot full of chilli beans in the microwave, turn it on and walk away. You have to buy a new microwave then.

Peppers, wet clothing, and I have heard if you put nothing at all it could mess it up or catch fire.

Politicians

With the silverware, I've heard that a spoon won't do much, compared to a fork, where stuff can jump between the tines.

We built a house in the mid 80s, and it had an oven/microwave combo. The metal oven, with metal racks, was also a microwave. Never seen another like it. Apparently the racks were designed with enough gap so there were no issues.

Came here to say CDs but thats covered. What was that old Roseanne movie where she blew up the house? I think she put bug spray, hair spray, starting fluid, or something like that in the microwave. Good finisher.

Also, this is a fantastic idea. When its over, you could always make a Lichtenberg Burner. Educational, and could make some killer crafts. This is assuming the main parts survive.

Peeps are entertaining. Its best to do a couple of short rounds.

Apparently a fresh bar of ivory soap is a safe one to do

A frozen water bottle.
With a quality lid like aquafina or fuji or whatever...

The half thread wal mart specials just spring a leak

Back