What to use for a tow vehicle?

natemclean93

Any reccomendations on a tow vehicle. Wife wants a honda pilot anyone ever towed with that before. If this doesn't do then I would like something like a suburban.

Suburbans tow very well, the piolet well I just don't know. If you want a real tow rig get a diesel. A PSD or a cummins will serve you well.

A normal duty crew cab truck, a tahoe/expedition and for the top a burban. If you are willing to go to a truck any v-8 truck will have no trouble pulling your jeep. I suggest Gm, Dodge or Ford. I am not a fan of toyota or nissan trucks. Although the armada has a decent tow rating as well. Not sure about toyota SUV though. A fullsize van is another option as well.

Buy my Tundra!
101_0063.jpg

lol

I know the Titans and Tundras are supposed to have a higher tow rating but I wonder how the transmissions hold up to pulling what they are rated for.Seems to me that the trans(or maybe a turbo) is always the 1st thing to go in a tow rig.Buy ya a bread van.

Figure 4,000-5,000 lbs for the Jeep + 1,500-2,000 lbs for the trailer, you are looking at towing 5,500-7,000 lbs. If you are going to be towing often, then you might as well step up and get a full size pick up with a diesel.

I'm gettin ready to put a hitch on my Saturn:flipoff2:

Figure 4,000-5,000 lbs for the Jeep + 1,500-2,000 lbs for the trailer, you are looking at towing 5,500-7,000 lbs. If you are going to be towing often, then you might as well step up and get a full size pick up with a diesel.

That seems a little steep. A stock wrangler is like 3200 lbs. Let's say a few mods brings that to 3500. A trailer to carry that would probably be about 1500 lbs. So I would say around 5000. You need at least some kind of fullsize vehicle to tow that much comfortably.

I'm going to go against the popular thinking here and say don't get a diesel unless its only job is to tow. I hate the smell, warmups times, noisy motor, and lack of quick throttle response on my cummins. It is a PITA on the days when I try to use it as a DD.

That seems a little steep. A stock wrangler is like 3200 lbs. Let's say a few mods brings that to 3500. A trailer to carry that would probably be about 1500 lbs. So I would say around 5000. You need at least some kind of fullsize vehicle to tow that much comfortably.
I'm going to go against the popular thinking here and say don't get a diesel unless its only job is to tow. I hate the smell, warmups times, noisy motor, and lack of quick throttle response on my cummins. It is a PITA on the days when I try to use it as a DD.

hmmm I don't really know where you're comming from. Mine is a stock 24v and it has good throttle response and warm up times arn't really an issue unless it's like 20* outside. Mine is straight piped and the noise isn't an issue when I have my heat or A/C on because it downs it out. I hardly ever smell the fuel unless I'm at a stop light with the windows down....But I like the smell:bounce2:.

What about a newer 4 door f150 with the 5.4. Those things are nice. I drove Coondoggers towing a toyota on 38"s and it did pretty good. Trailer brakes will be a must!

No, it's not. Stock Wrangler is more like 3800-4200, and a decent dual-axle trailer is going to weigh between 1500-1800lbs. Then you start talking about bigger tires, which get heavy quick. 1/4" steel armor all over the rig, fullsize axles, a tank of fuel, etc, and you'll quickly tip the 5k mark with the Jeep. Throw in all your tools, spares, and crap you take with you camping, and you're up there pretty quickly.

No, it's not. Stock Wrangler is more like 3800-4200, and a decent dual-axle trailer is going to weigh between 1500-1800lbs. Then you start talking about bigger tires, which get heavy quick. 1/4" steel armor all over the rig, fullsize axles, a tank of fuel, etc, and you'll quickly tip the 5k mark with the Jeep. Throw in all your tools, spares, and crap you take with you camping, and you're up there pretty quickly.
True. My wrangler on 35's weighed 4500 lbs last year when I had it at the Cat scales. That was pretty much empty too.

My wrangler was about 4500lbs on 33's with stock bumpers. Now with heavier drivetrain and more crap in it, its over 5100lbs.

I tow with a 99 Ford Expedition and It does well, Plus gives plenty of room for gear and family.

Get a rig that is rated higher than you have to tow, You will be much happier. Plus your jeep will always be getting heaver.

I think mine is getting in the fridge at night.

Step up to a diesel ? WTF Step up to what ?

Any decient 3/4 ton truck will tow his 6000-7000# pretty well. And if he doesn't plan to go more than 1 time a month an older model might be a perfect fit.

My van has a 6.0 and it would tow that np and I get 11 towing my setup.

Juggy tows with a newer 5.3 and said while not great it gets the job done.

I'd look at something along those lines mid 90s truck with EFI/TBI 5speed manual with what ever comforts you need. If you can spend more great. Chances are you will either like towing and decided to move up to something newer/better or decided its not worth the hastle..

Trailer - get a decient trailer with good brakes. Add in a good hitch setup and you will make any truck setup safer.

Ken (bruiser) is selling a good trailer now for a good price.

I tow with a Ford Expedition.. Has the factory Air ride/leveling kit... Its at 187K miles with ZERO issues.. Tows my 89 Wrangler with very little effort.

EDIT: Things I've towed with it:

2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 Extended Cab
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ on 33's
1989 Jeep YJ Wrangler
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
31' Fountain Power Boat
18' Wellcraft Center Console
2500lb flat bed trailer
20' Heavy duty deck over farm trailer
Sea Doo Jet ski

It did all these things without any issue and the vehicle sits perfectly level with the air ride.

It also lifts itself when you drop it in 4 low.. Done 2 trails in uwharrie with it as well.. Great all around vehicle... at best i get roughly 14mpg in town, and much better on the highway.

I have towed with minivans to 1 tons. It all depends on your needs and budget. A honda will not pull your jeep and if you can get it moving you will most likely stop with the assistance of the car in front of you. Step up to a fullsize vehicle or buy her the honda and pick yourself up an older truck/suv to tow with. Make sure your trailer has brakes on both axles. If the weight is close a weight distributing hitch could help.

Back