WHAT WOULD IT TAKE for OHV park in RTP?

Ricky,

I think people are jumping Matt's case because several months ago he talked about how he was getting out of the 4-wheeling scene, talked junk to alot of the knowledgable guys on here and made an ass out of himself. Yet he continues to return and start up useless threads every couple of weeks.

Its always the same crap about his "friends" buggy, moving some rocks, building an OHV part, and other countless crap. In the other threads people reason with him and were alot nicer but now I think the general consensus is that people don't want to read his B.S. anymore.

Rockmafia hit the nail on the head IMO.

-E

Well I mean agreed Matt may not be the most agreeable fellow, personally I yet to have anything against him but I did see the previous threads and the same thing happened there noone would give his idea a chance then there was the whole thread being deleted fiasco

Anyway the reason the previous threads didn't work is cause noone would take the idea seriously

And since this is not the first time He has tried to get this going maybe it means its something he really wants to do, I mean discussion about it on a forum like this is a great way to get it rolling :driver:

I've dreamed of owning a OHV park. I'm not rich but if it was a profitable venture I bet I could gather enough money to get it off the ground. The trouble is, it's a labor of love.

In my club I tend to be the guy that organizes the trips. Because of that I talk to park owners all over the place. None of them support their owner's, with the possible exception of paragon who I haven't spoken too.

My advice would be to call Chris from Crozet. He's pretty good at answering his phone. I bet you'll find him at the keyboard earning a living.

Call up Gray rock. The guy that runs it is pretty much doing a favor for the guy that owns it. He owns a business and he's really busy but he manages to find time to run gray rock. However, Gray rock doesn't pay the bills. Also, I consider gray rock to be about the best case scenario. They are booked months in advance and their minimum group size is about double that of Crozet's.

So far none of these places seem to pay the bills with OHV money. As much as I'd love to "live the dream" and make a living running an OHV park I'll just go with my guaranteed method of breaking even. I won't invest.

That just about sums it up.

I think the whole jist of this thread was like all of doughboy's threads. "Look at me, my freinds building a buggy, I want to work for a fourwheeling company, I know where there are big rocks, I talked to some people about a park, Hey I know those guys, there are my freinds(but the don't know it yet), I go wheeling ,but I don't go wheeling, I know somebody who knows somebody", and on, and on, and on.

Anyway the reason the previous threads didn't work is cause noone would take the idea seriously
:driver:

Want to be taken seriously ? DO IT, don't talk about it, do it, if you have friends, GREAT ! get them together, do the deed, make it happen.

So far it's ALWAYS been a third party deal, spending someone elses money, using someone elses resources, wasting someone elses time.

It is ALWAYS involving SOMEONE ELSE, and no action gets taken.

There is interest, most certainly there is interest. but to date, there has been NOTHING but talk, and wishful thinking.
when it happens, THEN tell us, and then say I TOLD YOU SO.

if anybody wants to see what it takes to have a off road park then come to the dpg this weekend or come to the farm the 10th of march and look around.

I think this could be a profitable venture for Doughball and Beast to partner up on.

And if for some reason it doesn't work out, doughball can go back to his previous employment of spotting on lower 2 on dixie weekend.

honestly if you wanna build somethin like this you are gonna have to buy land out in or around rolesville. i am not saying that because it would be really convenient for me but i do live next to the rock quarry in rolesville and if anyone knows what a batholith is well thats what rolesville and the surrounding area is. all you have to do is drive over the dirt long enough to uncover the rock underneath. the biggest issue of course is money but if you have enough of it you can buy a pretty good amount of land out in this direction but getting enough land to make it like uwharrie would probably be difficult

the key would be to find otherwise worthless land.. abandoned stone quarry, land fill, heavily rocky area, etc.. Definitely not in/or around any metro area RDU/GB etc..

I got very deep into the development stages on an ORV/campground development last year in SC.

We found a piece of old timber land that had just been clear cut, and would not perc(sp?) so it was not very useful to developers.

We were looking at land that was $900/acre and about half way through the process 2 of the other 3 "investors" jsut agve up on it.

It really is next to impossible just to cover operating expenses on this venture.

Our idea was if we could just cover the operating expenses and pay the property tax on the land. We would just hold the land and sell and make the appreciation in the future as an investment....even that was going to be tough.

Heavy equipment like would be required doesn't run cheap. Moving earth aint cheap.
And once the new wears off I doubt you could book 20 rigs/ weekend.

We were counting on making a good deal during URE closed season.

IDK know I have probably spent a few hundred hours meeting with bankers, insurance agents, CPAs, attorneys, and many others and I just dont think you can turn enough profit to even cover expenses much less supporrt a full time crew.

I think if one person inherited a bunch of land (therefor no up front cost) and was independently wealthy enough to sustain himself while it got built AND already owned or had access to some equipment, if you lived ion the property and worked full time at maintenance you MIGHT support yourself.

Beyond that, Im not sure...

Now we did kick around the idea of starting as a fab/off-road shop and lettinmg the ORV park grow on the side. If you ever built to the point that people drove just to buy parts fom you (think Galloway's) and had a spot for them to then break parts and create business, the land could add a litlle revenue.

But I dont see the park itself ever being a cash cow...

I think the 'hunt club' approach where many people who share a similar interest all throw in and pool their money would be a better idea to the money..

So to keep #s simple if you had 1000 acres at 1000$ and acre (using above example) and you sold 200 of shares = $5000 each... Had it very clearly spelled out like a hunt club deal.. Who could do what/when etc.. You wouldn't have to run it 'as a business' the only collect enough money per year from owners to cover the taxes and improvements.. All services or work done would have some value (as decided on) associated with it and come out of the bucket. Have a policy for visitors and guests, camping, cleanup etc..

I think it would be cool to have an ORV park but I just do not see it ever making a living for someone. I think you would have to be wealthy with land of your own or just a lot of cash to blow. I do see anyone ever recovering their investment on a deal like this.

I travel regularly past the Rockingham raceway, where they used to have NASCAR. There is an area where land is cheap, campgrounds already exist and it is all just sitting there, since there are no more races there. The only part that is still used is the drag strip. I have zero connections to that track, but I would guess there is always the possibility that the owners of all that land, who used to make money off the races, would not mind making just a little bit off us each weekend. Don't even know where to start trying to contact them though...

rockingham is still used, Nascar still uses it as a test track. Its also used as a roundy race course for other sanctions now, lotus, bmw, etc.

I dont think a 'real' ohv park would exist long in the nc area. To put it out there, wheelers in this area are too cheap to pay the needed dues when URE seems to be the wheelers choice and its only $5, now add a fee that would take to keep the park open let alone keep up on insurance and a profit margin and it would deter locals. Plus the terrain isnt ideal, there are no hills for one. If the park isnt difficult to make a name for itself, your not going to attrack out of towners, which who will bring in income due to mostly staying 2~3 days of wheeling.

Even if the track is still used, the acreage around the track is not, neither is the camping area...

hopefully ohv

in ky. there is a new ohv park well it been open a few years .it is black mountain recreational park i am posting this because even thuo it is in a different state they just went thru all the probelms s and questions you need the answers for .so heres the web site contact the moderaters maybe they can help you in some way to get our offroad family a new place to wheel .www.kymc.org good luck:bounce2:

For anyone interested, Joel Church just opened Patriot Mountain Offroad Park. Its in the mountains but he could give an idea of whats involved. He runs it like a race track. A yearly membership and then a fee per day.

I hate you so much right now...
If this is what gets your panties in a wad you apparently don't have enough anxiety in your life

NC4x4 rising from the grave.gif

Back