What's a stroked 4.0 cost

GotWood

Sayer of Fact
Just wondering what it costs to have a Jeep 4.0 stroked to a 4.7? And where are the superchargers coming from? It would be some major fun to have a XJ sleeper!

Cheap way is 4.2 crank and rods, stroker pistons. If the engine is in good shape, then you might can get away with not replacing a bunch of other stuff, but while you're in there, you should probably pay the $500 or so for a rebuild kit and replace oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, etc.

If you plan to supercharge it, you may want to go with a lower compression ratio if you want to turn up the boost.

I feel like cost of 4.7 would be more than throwing a sbc in a xj I may be wrong sbc in my ZJ was gonna be about 2k all together done correctly! Looked into stroker 4.0 and machine shop quoted 1500-1800 to stroke my I6 but I'm a GM guy so I passed that up!

I have no plans in doing this conversion in the near future, but if the motor ever goes out on my XJ I think I would entertain making a sleeper. I've seen a couple pics of supercharged XJ's on the web and someone here was tinkering with one just don't remember who.

As for cost, I would drop a used motor or new stock one in if that was the concern. For that matter, a running XJ can be found for $2k all day long and that would be the smart money. I'm just talking hypothetically.

Who would be cooler?

Cherokee Guy #1:. "I have a SBC dropped into my XJ. It has almost 300 hp!"

Cherokee Guy #2:. "I have a stroked supercharged strait 6 dropped into my XJ. It has over 300 hp!"

Who would be cooler?

Cherokee Guy #2:. "I have a stroked supercharged strait 6 dropped into my XJ. It has over 300 hp!"

I always tell customers, cool depends on whose pocket it's coming out of, or how much expendable income they have. I get calls all the time for supercharged/turbo'd 300's, because they'd be cool. When they get a quote of $8-10k for a 250-300hp/400-450tq 300, and realize I could provide a 500hp/500tq 460 for $5k, they generally think keeping the extra $3-5k in their pocket or available to toss at other mods, is much cooler.

I always tell customers, cool depends on whose pocket it's coming out of, or how much expendable income they have. I get calls all the time for supercharged/turbo'd 300's, because they'd be cool. When they get a quote of $8-10k for a 250-300hp/400-450tq 300, and realize I could provide a 500hp/500tq 460 for $5k, they generally think keeping the extra $3-5k in their pocket or available to toss at other mods, is much cooler.
I understand your point and agree 100%. BUT, you say I could have my XJ driving down the road for around $10k? Still cheaper than a new car. And I like junk cars!

Putting a SBC in a zj for 2,000 seems REAL conservative to me.
as for a stroked motor, it's drop in. And 3k for one from Titan Engines etc.

I know when I grenaded the motor in my TJ, I wanted to go sbc, but looking at motor cost then all the bits, and everything to do it "right" the costs just kept seeming to go up more and more.

Who would be cooler?

Cherokee Guy #3: "I have an LS dropped into my XJ. It has over 300 hp, is reliable, and gets 20 MPG!"

Cherokee Guy #4: "I took all the money I was going to spend on engine swapping my XJ and bought a Wrangler instead!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cherokee Guy #3: "I have an LS dropped into my XJ. It has over 300 hp, is reliable, and gets 20 MPG!"

Cherokee Guy #4: "I took all the money I was going to spend on engine swapping my XJ and bought a Wrangler instead!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Cherokee Guy #2: "I already have a Wrangler with a V-8"

IMG_20150107_102903465_HDR.jpg

I've done many mods to my TJ through the years, but the stroker has always been my favorite. Buddy had a TBI 350 in his YJ and there was no discernable power difference between his and mine. And mine is just a 4.0 block and pistons, 4.2 crank and rods. Cheapest way you could do it in 2003. Now you can buy offset pistons that allow you to retain the longer/stronger 4.0 rods, so all you really need is pistons and a crank. In 2003, an LS motor was still a new platform, and was making good power, but didn't have the reputation it has now. These days, I'd consider an LS instead, but still would probably do the stroker just for cost and simplicity (mounting/packaging/programming/wiring/transmission/driveshafts/etc). Everything changes when you swap a motor.

How do the jeep transmissions hold up to stroker power? I would never consider a stroker with mine because I hate the 42RLE and a 4L60 would go with an LS based engine.

How do the jeep transmissions hold up to stroker power? I would never consider a stroker with mine because I hate the 42RLE and a 4L60 would go with an LS based engine.

I would say fine. In cherokees the AW4s are also behind toyota supras. I have no personal experience but I remember following the guys with a turbo XJ in autocross who won and they didn't do anything special to the trans and they beat it up pretty bad. It held up pretty good. Just keep it cool.

Bottom line I wouldn't trust anything less than an AW4 or AX15 behind a stroker.

I shouldn't comment, but I couldn't get an NV3550 to last behind a stock 4.0. Granted, it was just wear parts, never actually broke anything. But syncros and bearings get chewed up quickly with certain driving styles. Same issue with the NV4500 thats in it now.

Buddy of mine has an NV3550 behind an LS1, and he has had no issues. He also drives like a grandpa on pavement, whereas mine was really good at barking 35's almost every time it went in to second gear.

I always read your posts on this subject Matt as you're one of two people I know who've done this. I even have a spare motor now to build a stroker with one day. I too have transmission concerns-- curious to hear your having trouble with the 4500.

I have 3 AX-15s (one in each jeep and a spare) so I'd like to stay with them but they all have miles on em. Maybe one day I'll do this, until then they keep on running!

ummm...your back yard looks like the bathroom some random hot girl took her selfy in one night.
And she moved in with me to my new house.
1471299269414-1591475265.jpg

I'm a junk man trapped in a nice neighborhood with middle class status.

And she moved in with me to my new house. View attachment 225982
good good...pay them college bills there big boy.Take some heat off a brother.
On a side note...went hunting for the photo trail hugger posted when she was pregnant,side shot while standing in her bed room...you remember,the one with the laundry all over the place. Was gonna use that one for a comparison but it got tedious real fast lookin for it.

I had newcomer racing build me a 4.6 stroker for my last buggy. It wasnt cheap, but it performed well and really woke the buggy up.

I also have a 2wd comanche with a 4.7 stroker. That thing is a blast to drive and a hand full on wet roads.

For the price of all the parts and machining I felt better having someone that knew what they were doing put mine together. If you are willing to pay for it you will not regret it.

Best thing I have ever done to my yj.

I have 4.2 crank and rods and reused 4.0 Pistons.

My dad Ported the head significantly.

It cost me $125 for the crank and rods.

We had already swapped the 4.0 into my jeep and didn't keep the OG 4.2.

$350 for turning the crank, new cam bearings, put Pistons on the rods, and to do a 3 angle cleanup on the valves.
We were able to use my newish 4.0 bearings.

I used a crane cam and lifters, stock springs with a .100 shim under them.

Unplugged the FPR, and used grant Cherokee 5.2 injectors IIRC.

Way more bottom end power than a 5.3, and way cheaper.

I've broken ax-15s, Dana 300s, ford 8.8, Dana 60, np 231, well I've broken everything that's been behind it at some point or another, except for the 14 bolt.

Never complained about not having enough power.

I will hold it on the rev limiter for minutes, dump the clutch in 4low, 3rd gear, at 4500 rpms, to "bounce" it up ledges.

Only issue I had was blowing out a few free plugs early on.

The fun to investment ratio is great, plus easy as crap to do, and only as expensive as you want to make it.

@Jody tredway just finished up a lj with a Titan stroker build just for a super charger

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You suck at tagging people. Especially when you spell their name wrong. Douche.

Why NOT supercharge a stock 4.0?
Here's why
IMG_20160804_173740637.jpg

I prefer a 4.X stroker personally. I've built quite a few from 4.5 up to a 4.9. Like @Mac5005 said, you can get the hard parts easily you just need a good machinist and some patience.

I always read your posts on this subject Matt as you're one of two people I know who've done this. I even have a spare motor now to build a stroker with one day. I too have transmission concerns-- curious to hear your having trouble with the 4500.

I have 3 AX-15s (one in each jeep and a spare) so I'd like to stay with them but they all have miles on em. Maybe one day I'll do this, until then they keep on running!
I've never broken any hard parts, just worn out lots of syncros and bearings. Honestly if you drive like an adult, you should have no problems with an AX15/NV3550/etc. I'm just not good at driving like an adult (see threads about tire life for reference :driver::burnout:)

Back