Where to get small piece of plate steel

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I need 2 pieces of 1/2” steel plate that is approximately 4” by 13”. Unfortunately I do not have the means to buy a bigger piece and cut it so I need it to be that size.

Where near Winston Salem can I go to get something like that?

Last edited:
I'd call Race City and see what they can do for you. I used them when I lived in CLT and their prices are very reasonable. Was talking w/ @Chris_Keziah about it last week and he mentioned he ordered something and was to him the next day.

Metal Supermarkets caters to the small piece orders. This for you camper jack spacers I never got measurements off of?

You could go checkout the DH Griffin Scrapyard in Greensboro. The main yard off of Hilltop rd. Yard sales is better organized these days and they can rough cut something to size.

Depending on the application, you could just get some 1/4" flat bar from tsc or fastenal and cut and weld it together if you have trouble finding exactly what you need.

Let me see if we have any laying around at work.

*EDIT* - just went and looked around the yard and asked the stock guy, we dont have anything.

Last edited:
Metal Supermarkets caters to the small piece orders. This for you camper jack spacers I never got measurements off of?

It is :D

I decided I want to attempt it myself, I may need use of a drill press though for the holes :)

I’ll check my stack today too. Alro Steel outlet and Metal Supermarket would be my first stops if DH Griffin didnt have any at their scrap price.

Edit: checked and no 1/2" that large to cut down

Last edited:
1/2" very likely overkill for that. 3/8 would be beefy, 1/4 sufficient imho.

I was thinking the same thing! I’d even be inclined to use 1/4” and feel ok about it. 1/2” is gigantic!

So this camper is a heavy pig, 2600 dry, so I was just trying to not make a weak link on the front jacks. I will leave it to those more inclined than me, and since I am planning to sandwich the two pieces together on each side of the current bracket to make the extension, I will go with 1/4”.

@amcjeepman do you have enough for four pieces 13”x4”?

If the AMC man doesn't have any 1/4 I'm sure I got 60 or 80 feet of it....just ball parking.

Should be plenty.

Back