Who runs coilovers?

it is misleading, there is other pics on there everyone is welcome to look at. Thanks for posting the link Rich, I appreciate it. You can ask Rich what he did on his cruggy I think he went some bling after the tax return, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, this is what happens when you try to use coilovers to locate the axle. That was a very, very expensive break...

Attachments

• doh.jpg
    doh.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 367
RDDC said:
You can ask Rich what he did on his cruggy I think he went some bling after the tax return, if I remember correctly.

That was the plan, but the Fj hauler required a new tranny to the tune of $4k, so most of the bling went out the window.. I just have decent shocks now.

Scarface,

It is my opinion, that you can achieve what you want to do with a good 4 link system and regular coils/ shocks.

It is also my opinion that multi rate coil-overs and air shocks are definately the big pimpin bling that I would love to have :D . But I personaly would throw that money at some disk brakes at the wheels, espicaly if I were going to try to run 2.5 Rocks on the street. BTW: Steven at Low Country 4x4 can hook you up with some a little cheaper than others.

But that is just MY opinion.....

Did you see that picture of the kit I posted earlier - I honestly think it is worth buying one of these and fabbing up a coil over. I am going to try it with an old shock and see how it works.

RDDC said:
Did you see that picture of the kit I posted earlier - I honestly think it is worth buying one of these and fabbing up a coil over. I am going to try it with an old shock and see how it works.

Got for it!

But here's my take on that (have thought about it before)-

The ends on your shocks aren't made to support weight.
Neither is the shock shaft (too small)
The valving of the shocks is most likely way off.

It works better for the car apps it became popular on, because their struts are already (technically) a "coil-over"... just not an adjustable one, but everything is made to be weight bearing... Alot of circle track shocks are, too.. just add the threads.

The H&R/Bilstein coil-over system I had (on a car) worked incredibly well, because they are made to work together as a system.. It's why the addition of those automatically put me in another class for SCCA events.

Personally, I plan on air shocks in the future.. I just don't need that last 5% of performance and the less stiction the coil-over system gives, for usually ~double the price.

Rich said:
Got for it!

But here's my take on that (have thought about it before)-

The ends on your shocks aren't made to support weight.
Neither is the shock shaft (too small)
The valving of the shocks is most likely way off.

It works better for the car apps it became popular on, because their struts are already (technically) a "coil-over"... just not an adjustable one, but everything is made to be weight bearing... Alot of circle track shocks are, too.. just add the threads.

The H&R/Bilstein coil-over system I had (on a car) worked incredibly well, because they are made to work together as a system.. It's why the addition of those automatically put me in another class for SCCA events.

Personally, I plan on air shocks in the future.. I just don't need that last 5% of performance and the less stiction the coil-over system gives, for usually ~double the price.
I am looking at all the racecar sites now to find out what they do - Pro Shocks, and maybe some others make their shock bodies with threads already on them. Most shocks have a 2 inch shock body on them = I would take a cheap oil shock and mount it with the shock body vertical (on top). I would try to either homebrew a hat and weld it directly to the shock body and use the stanchion (sp?) with the pre made spring bucket that comes in the kit, or maybe try to turn some threads in the shock body. Fabbing a spring bucket for the shock body seems to be more logical. But you figure the cost factor it may not be too much cheaper considering fox airshox for $225 each. Don't know. The kit I posted can be set up to run a dual rate system with the spanner nut as the adjuster. I have always agreed with the 5 % as well -$2000 for shocks is hard to think of.

RDDC said:
I am getting out of control with my thinking - I added everything up and it would just be less time and money to go with the air shocks.

LOL, I've been guilty of the same thing... But aren't you running a full-bodied rig?

Andy these?
Bling
I don't have time to read the whole thread now i will do later.

This is going to be a one shot thing so I have to get it right.

Right is right on the money. I will give you a yell about making these shocks/CO's work

hey, those are like what I was talking about. That kit would work with the pic i posted up. The key is the threaded bodies. man, i hate to start thinking about my crazy idea again. I will probably try the air version before turning to coils, but that is the nice thing about these shocks.

scarface said:
This is not a coilover but do you think they are: 1.Strong enough 2. a good Price?

JOINTS

They messed up on the load capacity data on that one.. it's 40,572 lbs. (look at the left hand thread one)

That's the same one I use on my wrap bar. very beefy, and still nice and tight. That is the strongest rod end in that size you'll find.

And yeah, that's about what i paid.

I'm going to wind up with RE superflex joints in my 4-link though..

But are they strong enough to 4-link my rockwells. I am refering to both joints. I will need the flex of the RE joint more than likly.

These:RE Joints

I will try to find the others i saw.

I'd go bigger with rocks... more like those from BTF, or 1" ones of similar construction... The nice thing about RE's and some of the $$ ones is that they are rebuildable, unlike heims.

RDDC said:

I assume that by now you've realized that those won't work. Either way, they're made for circle track guys and the shocks that they are used on are built as dual purpose shocks with a different style body and rod-ends instead of bushings. Basically what I'm saying is that you're going to be hard pressed to find a shock that will work with that setup with over 9" of travel...or a coilover coil long enough to make a longer shock work. Even if you did, for what we do the shaft would be entirely too small and the shaft guides would be entirely too weak to handle the loads. And as to the original question, I agree with andy...your rig's weight and unsprung weight are too high to be using air shocks. There's nothing really special about them anyway other than price, size, and weight.

Back