Who runs coilovers?

Ive got 16" SwayAWays front/rear on my buggy. So far im very happy with them. Expensive little buggers but deffinitely worth the money.

We have used Kings, Swayaways, and Fox 's in various applications and lengths. I still like the Sways the best.

Andy

Aaron871 said:
Rich people....

But if you think about it in the long run, thats the last pair youll ever have to buy. They are rebuildable, adjustable valving, and have a vast array of coil spring rates and lengths.

StudNuts said:
But if you think about it in the long run, thats the last pair youll ever have to buy. They are rebuildable, adjustable valving, and have a vast array of coil spring rates and lengths.

Well put. Assuming that you don't do any damage to the shafts/bodies and you keep them in good working order they will last a long time

Andy

What about air shocks?

This is going on a TJ, 4-link f/r, rockwells

Reading about the air shocks, they sound like they would work?

zubz said:
Well put. Assuming that you don't do any damage to the shafts/bodies and you keep them in good working order they will last a long time

Andy

I agree...

Cause when I was at Paragon last year for Neuroc I saw 4 sets just break in half.. I was very surprised but I guess these guys are using them to the extreme..

scarface said:
What about air shocks?

The only thing I hate about the air shocks is no remote resevoir, so when they heat up they expand. Im not certain but I think swayaway has remote resevoir air shocks now. That would be a cheap alternative to coilovers.

Shane, you are gonna need some sort of CO on yours due to the weight of the full body. Air shocks work just fine(and I know of 2 brands that now do remote reservoirs as Jon said, although the SAWs do not fade nearly as bad as the 1st gen fox's do) for light stuff but not for a full bodied rig.

Your best bet it probably to go with a Rock Equipment air shock/CO setup on all 4 corners so you can go with airshocks and then if you don't like it you can convert over to coilovers(they have threaded bodies) by just picking up springs, kits, etc. Let me know if I can help you out with anymore info on these, they work very well.

Andy

I'e go the air shocks on my buggy, but haven't gotten a chance to use them yet.

From what I've been told, if you dont' use the air shocks on the road a lot or for high speed desert racing, then they will not heat up enough to make a difference, however, if it is driven on the road some, then remote reservoir would be the way to go. And, they are much cheaper than coilovers, but I've heard they don't perform as well as coilovers.

If comp buggys can run them, then I'll run them and see what happens.

Rob

Well said Rob - I agree with you - I may take Andy's advice if I want to upgrade later - I have seen in some racing magazines that you can convert shocks to become coil overs - I will try to find a link, but they look scary for what we use them for. They may work great on the track, but not in the rocks.

The air shocks I am talking about are specifically made to be either, depending on how you charge/oil them.......

Rob is right, on the rocks they work fine but on the road they leave something to be desired. Definitely go with COs for that.

Andy

zubz said:
The air shocks I am talking about are specifically made to be either, depending on how you charge/oil them.......

Rob is right, on the rocks they work fine but on the road they leave something to be desired. Definitely go with COs for that.

Andy
Andy, have you heard or seen what I am talking about - this may just be wishful thinking, but I think it is worth a try - I am getting ready to post a pic in a few minutes that will explain it, but this kit comes with the coil seat and the threaded adjuster - you will have to get another seat for the bottom, but it would allow you to run a dual stage set up and they are only $40 bucks a piece, but it looks like you could just run a standard oil shock with them.

Wishful thinking

Here is the pic - don't hammer me too much on this, it is just an idea. I just think it would be worth the effort for the price. :)

Attachments

• coil over.jpg
    coil over.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 423
Whats wrong with using 3" XJ coils, 4 links, and regular shocks?
This setup is very common in Rockwell rigs/ buggies right now.
What is the need for air suspension/ coilovers? You aren't going to be carying a load.

(I'm not trying to be a dick.)

Looks like my TJ :rolleyes: Course my track bar isn't bent so I am sitting square over the axle, but my 5.5 inch coils bow out a little. Thats why its time for Air shocks or CO's

RDDC said:
Probably a little of both - Bill on pirate did this column on the swapping out air shocks and this was the problem he kept having.

I think that the Jeep in the pic above needs a proper 4 link (more triangulation). I also think that coil overs and/ or air shocks are a very expensive band aid for that particular situation. It's the link systems job to not allow the axle to move sideways, not the springs.

If "Bill on Pirate" is Bill Vista, then I would like to read that article. Seems he is the "Best of the Best" on cutting edge teck. I would take his word for about anything.... Got a linky?

RDDC said:
Probably a little of both - Bill on pirate did this column on the swapping out air shocks and this was the problem he kept having.

BillaVista's article said:
original radius-arm bushing design could no longer properly control the front axle and the steering was almost completely ineffective
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html

Aaron871 said:
Whats wrong with using 3" XJ coils, 4 links, and regular shocks?
This setup is very common in Rockwell rigs/ buggies right now.

one big reason is they are compact.. coils take up alot of room, and then you still need to find somewhere to mount shocks vertically, where they will have good leverage on the axle.

Not saying it can't be done (obviously), but it's far more compact.

Also, guys with rockwells typically put them under big, heavy vehicles... the air shocks aren't meant for heavy rigs.. Rockwells are also inexpensive for their strength.. coil-overs aren't cheap, so the 2 usually don't wind up together for that reason.. (I.e. you wouldn't see a $10k front axle with Rancho 5000's on it)

And before anyone jumps my shit, I'm not badmouthing the axles, or those who run 'em, so don't get your panties in a wad. :D

that pic is a little misleading. The links should locate the axle not the coils, so in that pic it appears as if a link failed, not the coil spring.

Rob

Back