Why do we build what we do?

I find working on my jeep relaxing and gives me something to do because while in college i have a ton of free time or no time at all. It also helps me meet some really great people. I also enjoy nature and having a rig allows me go to go and explore parts of Pisgah with out worrying to much that I might not be able to make it down some of the service roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I really enjoy wrenching and coming up with solutions to do something in a different way. It may not always be better, but it's my way. All in all, this is a great community. I haven't been Wheeling in quite a while, but I hope to change that soon and meet some more if you face to face.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

this thread is gheyer than butt sects

I just like working on shit and tinkering
Go post your junk in the garage d thread. Unless it's so small and you're embarrassed to.

Post up or shut up honky.

Go post your junk in the garage d thread. Unless it's so small and you're embarrassed to.

Post up or shut up honky.
Ydl56QHjQDSxvO7QKE3Q_Dildo%20Top%20Gun.gif

Stress reliever and always stretching that fun per dollar ratio. When I lived in Boone, wheelin was a no brainer and Toyotas were cheap and plentiful. Mtn City and Harlan were easy trips. Moved to the flat lands and got tired of the longer drives just for a day trip. Switched to racing hare scrambles on the dirtbike and can run just about any weekend within 2 hours of the house and practice or ride at about 5-7 places in that same range. I enjoy wrenching on the bikes as it was something new to learn and the investment to go racing is pennies on the dollar compared to a season of wheelin. Consumables, repairs etc are all laughable for what I've spent on wheelin over the years.

The girlfriends dad recently gave me a CJ7 project that was rusting away in his neighbor's lean-to so now I'm slowly tinkering with that with the goal of EJS 203something. Never built a Jeep so its time to learn something new.

I like to build my stuff then say someone else built it so no one laughs at how bad my fab and welding skills are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the Chinaman have any business cards?

12 years ago today I had never picked up a welder in my life (never even knew how to turn one on). Only knew simple vehicle maintenance procedures and couldn't tell you to save my life how a engine/transmission/differential even worked.

Anyone else ever notice that over the years of building these rigs, above any other hobby out there, it motivates us to learn new techniques and process at an incredible rate?

12 years ago today I had never picked up a welder in my life (never even knew how to turn one on). Only knew simple vehicle maintenance procedures and couldn't tell you to save my life how a engine/transmission/differential even worked.

Yes definitely. 15 years ago when I bought my first 84 xj my second Jeep I didn't even do my own vehicle maintenance had no idea about anything really except photography.......

I love building stuff. My problem is that I have so many projects that I don have enough time to do it all myself. So I either push some to the side or am forced to pay someone to build my toys. I'm past the whole "built not bought" idea and am now just interested in enjoying the toys with the family. Sure wish @MarsFab would hurry up with projects! :lol:

I get great personal satisfaction from seeing an obstacle that many may say "YOUR Jeep won't make it" and then proving them wrong. I get additional satisfaction in others with a similar build attempting it after and asking me "how I did it" then seeing them do what they felt might have been impossible for them as well. This is why I love the Carolina TrailBlazers as well. Everyone has that same uplifting spirit, wanting others to succeed...not just themselves.

I got that a lot when my rig was stock. People couldn't fathom a stock full size rig going some places, but once they saw it happen, then tried it themselves, that was a good feeling.

Duane

I've been wheeling since about 1993 or so when @thebrotherinlaw was just the dude dating my sister. :shaking: Back then we would take his Toyota or CJ5 on logging roads and forest service roads and I was hooked. Things have changed a lot since then and my rig(s) and trails of choice have changed drastically. I enjoy both the challenge of conquering a trail as well as the satisfaction of a rig I built/modded/had a hand in building making it up a trail or obstacle.

The fellowship and friendships developed while wheeling are without a doubt the strongest ones I have. I see a few of my wheeling friends once a year or even once every few years, but we pick right back up where we left off. That's good stuff right there.

My greatest satisfaction currently comes from taking my Ranger up trails and obstacles that typically only sees buggy traffic. I have a cool pic from Chocco of my rig, Kirby's buggy, Greg Norton's M&M buggy and @GONOVRIT's all on the same obstacle at the same time. When Lisa and I cleared the top I heard someone say "I didn't think that truck could make it up." At that point, cost and time spent on the trip was worth every dime. I take a lot of pride in my rig and it's abilities. Not unlike most folks.

With that said, looks like I'll be at Harlan soon with some good friends...oh and @Loganwayne and @McCracken too :flipoff2:. Enjoying fellowship and good wheeling as well.

Why I do it as seen in pics:
chocco.jpg
Rattlerock (1).jpg
stairstepmacke.jpg

Last edited:
Best way to become a millionaire racer...be a billionaire first.
Yep, I've also heard: Best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one.

Anyone else ever notice that over the years of building these rigs, above any other hobby out there, it motivates us to learn new techniques and process at an incredible rate?

Correction only some of us learn at an incredible rate :D

I agree though. I think that's ultimately what draws me to building stuff. We were just talking at the shop the other day about how in a lot of cases guys building a rig at home or even a small shop like me are often learning as we go. Most of what I do is new to me. Its stuff I haven't done before and I have to learn how to do it as I go. It's what keeps it interesting. I literally dread building things a second time. The first is almost always the most fun. The main difference between a reputable shop doing it and a guy building in his garage is that a shop has to be safe, reliable and a lot of other things the first time around, there's a lot less room for error. That challenge makes it hard to make money but the end result is awesome. Hours are spent searching through forums and wasting material to get something right and actually know/understand how to do it.

The 4wd world is probably the most open motor sports industry that I know of. Other than a select group of specific vehicle owners I wont name lol, its rare that a guy with a 60k buggy wont do anything he can to help a guy with a 2k beater Cherokee off a trail. Lets see the BMW guys at a drift event help out a kid with his beat up 240sx...

And mainly we get to build cool shit that crawls over stuff. Its impressive to most people who know nothing about what we do. Kinda like learning to play the solos of a few songs on the guitar by reading tablature but not actually knowing how to read sheet music.

With the shit I see on the internet...I'd have to disagree.

IMG_3564.JPG

Back