Why do we build what we do?

XJsavage

CounterCulture
I'd be willing to bet it's because of a creative outlet that we don't get at work... But I want to hear it from each person.
Regardless of if it's a buggy or full-bodied wheeler, no matter brand specific or period correct restoration, street pounder or trailer queen.
Why do we spend the money, time, and exert the energy to build what we do?

For me, it's a creative release. Doing commercial HVAC is redundant and requires so little creative input that it may as well be standing around directing traffic. I can perform a 10 hour work day doing it on as little as 5 hours of sleep. So the remaining 9 hours? (See build thread).

Let's hear what you got... ;)

Pretty much what rockcity and DSM Turbos stated. I enjoy doing it because I often involved my kids in the work and I love to get "off the grid" occasionally to just relax and see stuff/parts of the country I would normally never get to see

Cheaper than drugs is my answer.
And iv'e met a metric shit ton of good people along the way.
Hell, i just enjoy the lifestyle.

I like the whole "do-it-yourself" (as much as possible), do more with less, go out, have a blast, and make it home...... self sufficiency, I guess.

When you do need help, end up in a pickle, etc...... the best of friends and people are there to help.

And going slow in the woods is fun. Look. See. Observe. Ooohhh...nature! It's amazing what you can see when you're not flying by at 70mph.

Like paul said also - the community is another big part. When wheeling everybody wants to see everybody make it through stuff and help each other. Willing to throw in a hand, spare parts, etc.

I used to drag race, it is nothing like that there, keeping up with the jones and it was a lot more "stressful", I don't miss that a ton. Motorcycles and wheeling now for me.

I enjoy having a vehicle that can get me away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and away from today's technology. Nothing like getting out and challenging man and machine on the trails and some of the best people I've met has been Wheelin.

I have a stressful job that requires me to spend 90% of my time in front of a computer and the other 10% split between interviewing/interrogating and conducting home visits. The time I get to spend in the shop or trails (very rare) is an escape. It's quality time I get to spend with my better 1/2 or simply by myself. It's a chance for me to enjoy the quiet (well at least in the sense of minimal talking) and focus on my project.

I absolutely love knowing that I have something that I can look at & know that I did that. The shocks? Yep. The terrible bird shit welds? Uh huh. The engine tear down? Oh yeah, that too. Let's face it, being able to highlight & contour can only get you so far.

Sorry it's getting long but I have to mention the people too. Simply the best, hands down. I can't ruin their bad reputation but one of those people sent me a message that made my day - beyond generous & thoughtful (thanks again!) ;)

Wrenching on stuff makes me feel better. It's my happy time....usually. Plus, I like to build cool shit and do hood rat things with my friends.

#solidaxlesforeverything

Couldn't afford circle track racing. Being competitive is expensive, and the time commitment is steep. I LOVE the dirt track, spent a LOT of time there in my school years. But wheeling is a sport that I can do on my schedule, and the only competition is the obstacle before me.

Duane

Seemed like a better use of my money than liquor and hookers...
The comradery and occasional adrenaline rush have kept me interested though.
Lol. Really though. Its a great escape from reality. Load up the rig and take off to go wheeling and for a few days you don't have to worry about anything else. When your building it, you don't have time to think about stress or problems... You are focused on the rig. It keeps you moving. It keeps you focused.

Got to grit my teeth and lean into the wind.

Never even thought about doing anything to my Samurai when I was working on circle track stuff.
I guess that was my creative outlet. Fabbing and fixing stuff.
Then a bad motor and no money .... Sami in the weeds for a few years. When I pulled it out of the weeds and wasn't working on circle track stuff anymore .... it became the next victim.

Now, The right trade for the right bike MIGHT get it from me .... even tho' I have owned it since new in 1987.
I'm getting to old and to beat up to work on stuff anymore.

Matt

It's been said above...so not to repeat or bore you:

Fellowship
Excitement
Seeing others succeed
Personal accomplishment

But another reason I really love it, is the part of my brain that see's a solution. Where Homeboy saw ghosts: dead people.jpg Somehow, I see "the line". This is where my career/profession and physics/mechanical engineering background mesh with my "hobby".

I get great personal satisfaction from seeing an obstacle that many may say "YOUR Jeep won't make it" and then proving them wrong. I get additional satisfaction in others with a similar build attempting it after and asking me "how I did it" then seeing them do what they felt might have been impossible for them as well. This is why I love the Carolina TrailBlazers as well. Everyone has that same uplifting spirit, wanting others to succeed...not just themselves.

this thread is gheyer than butt sects

I just like working on shit and tinkering

Like most have said. It's the people you meet the places you see and the adventure of making it up that trail. I also really love to tinker with things.

Seemed like a better use of my money than liquor and hookers...

I did not realize this was an either/or proposition

This is where my career/profession and physics/mechanical engineering background mesh with my "hobby".

Professional me would have to kick after hours me's ass with all the dumb/cool shit I buy...see hoarding thread...haha.

I did not realize this was an either/or proposition
Don't worry, I still budget my hooker money and liquor money is autodrafted from my paycheck to the ABC commission. Spending on the jeep just helps me moderate my drinking and whoring.

Back