Winch Ring

Keith1138

Has anyone ever used one of these in substitution for snatch block with synthetic rope?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210315-221557_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210315-221557_Chrome.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 130
Never had one, or syn. rope either. I did see some type of review on them. Seems like it wasn't very impressive! Maybe in an emergency, because you had nothing else. Probably said something about the Drag, small diameter, no spin, may break. I'm not sure.

Probably in what Ron posted, but I saw some video on it a while back and it looked like it would let the winch line out sometimes when the line went slack. Then you have line on soft shackle. Nope for me. And it’s more fun throwing a big ass snatch block at your buddies up the hill that are barely hanging on by a vine.... in the dark. :D

That thread has some discussion of them in there but not alot. I have been watching a good amount of videos on them. I think it is all about getting a properly designed one that allows the rope to sit down inside of it or has retainers like the factor 55 one.

Apart of me wants to buy one because I like the idea and it would be easier to throw to buddies. But I'm hesitant with out hearing more first hand experience with them.

I have used one, it works well so long as you keep the line tight. I think it has its place, but it will not replace a traditional pulley altogether. It's not priced cheap enough for me to buy one to have around yet. I do find soft shackles to be priceless and extremely useful, while still not taking place of a hard shackle entirely. Both have their place.

If the ring were $15-$20 I'd throw one in my Jeep. But the ones I've seen were <$50 and I just don't think it's worth that.

Probably in what Ron posted, but I saw some video on it a while back and it looked like it would let the winch line out sometimes when the line went slack. Then you have line on soft shackle. Nope for me. And it’s more fun throwing a big ass snatch block at your buddies up the hill that are barely hanging on by a vine.... in the dark. :D

When your Jeep barrel rolled twice at AOP (cough cough) we used one of these rings to flip it back over :cool:

I use this one from Brennans garage.

It has a block and strap to keep the donut from rolling the line off. It works very nicely.

Blah blah blah blah 😝
Seriously though I bet it worked fine with a static dead load. It’s the surging that would worry me when helping it along. As with anything, it depends on the application I guess.

Hmm. I thought this thread was gonna be about getting engaged. It is about a "snatch" block, so pretty much the same thing I suppose.

Last edited:
I make my own soft shackles and rings, that's all I use.

The setup is super lightweight and doesn't take any room in a buggy vs the standard D-Rings and Snatch-Blocks.

Also less prone to hurt you in case the snatch block hits you in case of a rollover. (<-- your shit should be properly strapped down but shit happens).

Brennans setup is probably the best out there, but so far I didn't have any issue without the block. I rarely use the ring too.

I have used one, it works well so long as you keep the line tight. I think it has its place, but it will not replace a traditional pulley altogether. It's not priced cheap enough for me to buy one to have around yet. I do find soft shackles to be priceless and extremely useful, while still not taking place of a hard shackle entirely. Both have their place.

If the ring were $15-$20 I'd throw one in my Jeep. But the ones I've seen were <$50 and I just don't think it's worth that.
Thats my thing I'm in the debate of do I buy another snatch block for close to the same price as this recovery ring or do I just get another snatch block.
There's this one for 30$

Seriously though I bet it worked fine with a static dead load. It’s the surging that would worry me when helping it along. As with anything, it depends on the application I guess.
Sounds like you need a faster winch. :flipoff2:

Back