Window Tint Inspection

How many cars these days let you roll the rear windows all the way down?
Haha on my Protege5 the "safety windows" only stick up about 2". Still plenty of room for any idiot kid to jump out of.

"safety windows"?! that's just marketing spin for "rear wheelwell is in the way" :flipoff2:

How many cars these days let you roll the rear windows all the way down?
Haha on my Protege5 the "safety windows" only stick up about 2". Still plenty of room for any idiot kid to jump out of.

Rear windows can be painted black. Tint laws only pertain to the windshield, front drivers, and front pass. windows.

Rear windows can be painted black. Tint laws only pertain to the windshield, front drivers, and front pass. windows.

Is this true? I thought it was true, but was told by a tint shop that it is not correct.

I have a 2005 Jetta wagon, and wanted the front door windows as dark as legal, then the rear door windows, rear side windows, and hatch windows even darker - especially the rear side windows and hatch. They told me that ALL side windows could only be be the 32% tint, unless I had an SUV, in which case they could be black, other than the front doors. So they would not tint the rear side windows on my car (trunk/hatch area, behind the rear doors) darker than 32%.

I didn't believe them, but haven't had time to research it, and still have not gotten the car tinted.

Is this true? I thought it was true, but was told by a tint shop that it is not correct.
I have a 2005 Jetta wagon, and wanted the front door windows as dark as legal, then the rear door windows, rear side windows, and hatch windows even darker - especially the rear side windows and hatch. They told me that ALL side windows could only be be the 32% tint, unless I had an SUV, in which case they could be black, other than the front doors. So they would not tint the rear side windows on my car (trunk/hatch area, behind the rear doors) darker than 32%.
I didn't believe them, but haven't had time to research it, and still have not gotten the car tinted.

I believe your shop is correct...but I'm sure some of the guys here that own or work at inspection shops can confirm.

SUVs, vans, etc can be completely blacked out since it's possible to buy similar setups that don't even have windows...I know my brother has an XJ and some misinformed cop up around Cary gave him a ticket for it, but it was tossed out of court.

I haven't owned a 'car' in many years...but that's what I remember the laws being when I last had one.

Greg

If I was wrong, I stand corrected. I might have been over generalizing.
I do know in TRUCKS what I said is true, but I do not know why a car would be any different.

CAR all around 32%
truck, suv, van, etc... 32% front 2 windows but all the rest can be black paint if u want

NC TINT LAWS
I have never had any inspection station check my tint. I bought my Rodeo as is and yes it has dark tint as well(probably around 20% if not 5%). I'm about ready to take it off and replace as there are some scratches and other imperfections in the tint now. Also(knock on wood) I have not been hassled by any LEOs. And as far as working windows go, both front side windows are broken and they are either wedged to stay up or they are fully down. Yet another thing I have never seen them check at the inspection stations.
Edit: I also read once that there was an amendment of sorts allowing commercial vehicles to tint everything behind the front doors down to blackout status. I'll look for a link to that as well.... Read Section C

Maybe a special provision, but how would limos ever pass inspection?

Surely they arent classified as an SUV?

Maybe a special provision, but how would limos ever pass inspection?
Surely they arent classified as an SUV?

I'm guessing the For Hire status makes them exempt:

c) Tinting Exceptions. -- The window tinting restrictions in subsection (b) of this section apply without exception to the windshield of a vehicle. The window tinting restrictions in subdivisions (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section do not apply to any of the following vehicle windows:
(1) A window of an excursion passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)a. (2) A window of a for-hire passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)b.

Greg

I'm guessing the For Hire status makes them exempt:

c) Tinting Exceptions. -- The window tinting restrictions in subsection (b) of this section apply without exception to the windshield of a vehicle. The window tinting restrictions in subdivisions (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section do not apply to any of the following vehicle windows:
(1) A window of an excursion passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)a. (2) A window of a for-hire passenger vehicle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)b.

Greg

That would probably do it....

NC TINT LAWS
I have never had any inspection station check my tint. I bought my Rodeo as is and yes it has dark tint as well(probably around 20% if not 5%). I'm about ready to take it off and replace as there are some scratches and other imperfections in the tint now. Also(knock on wood) I have not been hassled by any LEOs. And as far as working windows go, both front side windows are broken and they are either wedged to stay up or they are fully down. Yet another thing I have never seen them check at the inspection stations.Edit: I also read once that there was an amendment of sorts allowing commercial vehicles to tint everything behind the front doors down to blackout status. I'll look for a link to that as well.... Read Section C

It doesn't matter if the windows roll up or down on the vehicle. It doesn't factor into the inspection. The only thing that one needs to be careful with when taking the doors off of Wranglers, however, is the mirrors. As long as there are securely mounted sideview mirrors you're set. Doors and windows are not required.

Doors and windows are not required.

odd enough...neither are seats...just the seatbelts...

at least that's what I was told at my local shop...I had removed everything to roll in a bedliner, and just put one seat and seatbelt back in it (no top, doors, console, etc) to get it inspected...

when talking with the guy, he said I actually didn't even have to put the seat back in it...a milk crate would've been fine, just so I could see out...:D

Greg

Back