Yes another hydro assist thread.

Keith1138

Has anyone used this DIY 4x :: Steering :: Hydro assist steering box cap

I was thinking using the above cap then taping the other cap that is secured by the four bolts.

My only concern with the Pre tapped capped is clearance issues between the cap and the front crossmember on my xj.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just get with @adamk and have him tap you a box.

I have done a few boxes too. I have one on the shelf that's used in good working order. came off a 99 xj.

Another question will my truss on my axel be able to handle the force applied by the ram?

Or where would be the best place to mount it.

I would just pay Adam a case of Michelobe Ultra after you bring him the box, or buy the box above.

And where you mount the ram depends on your steering set up, but either the truss or a good aftermarket diff cover that's 3/8 like RuffStuff, Motobilt or Barnes will hold the ram.

Another question will my truss on my axel be able to handle the force applied by the ram?

Or where would be the best place to mount it.

Here is how I did mine. This is with a wj knuckle swap and barnes 1 ton offset steering kit.

20200406_123730.jpg

My track bar is still in the stock location so I am going to have to work around that. I also have a y-link style steering.

Has anyone used this DIY 4x :: Steering :: Hydro assist steering box cap

I was thinking using the above cap then taping the other cap that is secured by the four bolts.

My only concern with the Pre tapped capped is clearance issues between the cap and the front crossmember on my xj.

That’s the one I used, then drilled and tapped the top cap of the steering box

I use that cap and tapped the top cap on both my RC and Daddy's RC. No issues with either rig, but our boxes mount outside the frame so we didn't have any clearance issues. I was a little concerned about something coming up and contacting the hose fitting but so far it hasn't happened.

Duane

FTFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crap I didn't think about the stress it would put on those.

Plenty of people daily stuff with ram assist and ball joints. Some of those people beat the snot out of their rigs, I’m not said people, but I seent it. Mainly JKs with 37s

Plenty of people daily stuff with ram assist and ball joints. Some of those people beat the snot out of their rigs, I’m not said people, but I seent it. Mainly JKs with 37s
Well my shitbox isnt a daily anymore but still gets drove on the street.

Well my shitbox isnt a daily anymore but still gets drove on the street.

Then send it, but carry spare parts. Or go king pin and spend some coin. Or BJ eliminators in a SD60

if you limit the stroke so it doesn't push past the limit of the knuckle stops. There is no difference. the ball joints don't care what moves them unless it's past the stop in the knuckle.

I daily mine and beat the shit out of it at every opportunity.

My last box was done by JR on here. But he left. If Adam will do it for a case of beer do it. I tore a box down and drilled and tapped it and will never do that again. I wish I could find someone near me to rebuild my old box for me.

Do you have to have cross over steering or will the currie y-link steering work?

if you limit the stroke so it doesn't push past the limit of the knuckle stops. There is no difference. the ball joints don't care what moves them unless it's past the stop in the knuckle.

If you are jammed up in some rocks won’t the ball joints take the load? I’m too lazy to draw this out to try and figure out where the load goes. Strait into the ball joints or stays in the tie rod ends?

Probably taco the drag link after enough abuse.

If you are jammed up in some rocks won’t the ball joints take the load? I’m too lazy to draw this out to try and figure out where the load goes. Strait into the ball joints or stays in the tie rod ends?

Of course, as much as the relief is set for your steer box. Yes, will be more force. Honestly, if your worried about that, you should go to tons and ask club xj on face book for advice.

For the wheeling that Keith does it should be fine. Just limit the stroke like mentioned.
Plenty of people street driving with a ram. It actually will make your steering feel much tighter.

Same here, did destroy the axle side mount a few years back but it’s beef now.

For the wheeling that Keith does it should be fine. Just limit the stroke like mentioned.
Plenty of people street driving with a ram. It actually will make your steering feel much tighter.

I feel like hydro is only necessary after you go beyond 35s anyways. Most places I ever felt jammed up you move forward or backward two inches and you can turn your wheel again. I would recommend a steering fluid cooler though...

I feel like hydro is only necessary after you go beyond 35s anyways. Most places I ever felt jammed up you move forward or backward two inches and you can turn your wheel again. I would recommend a steering fluid cooler though...

Totally agree with you there. Not sure why he wants hydro, but to each is own. 35s on my XJ with a good cooler and I’ve never had issues or even felt like I needed more steering power. Just gotta keep the fluid cool.

I put it on my xj because I want to be in the cool club. It also didn't steer for shit with the locker in front when trail riding. There is also that thing of the unibody cracking right at the steering box. The cylinder alleviates that.

Back