Yes another hydro assist thread.

My plan right now is mount the ram to the right of the track bar. My concen is putting too much pressure TRE since I'm using ylink style steering which doesnt leave much room between the tierod and axel. My other concern is track bar being in the way during suspension compression.

Would going to a cross over style steering be beneficial?

Like this one HD Crossover Steering Kit (XJ/MJ/TJ/LJ/ZJ) - Trail Forged

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My plan right now is mount the ram to the right of the track bar. My concen is putting too much pressure TRE since I'm using ylink style steering which doesnt leave much room between the tierod and axel. My other concern is track bar being in the way during suspension compression.

Would going to a cross over style steering be beneficial?

Like this one HD Crossover Steering Kit (XJ/MJ/TJ/LJ/ZJ) - Trail Forged

That bent tie rod will be a pain in the ass to set the toe.

We just installed this on a jeep:

1 Ton UTK Steering Kit

Support local....

This is the way if you want to keep it strong and easy to work on.

This would be the route I would go. Inverted Y steering bring the suck pretty much all the time.
So what is the ironman andy steering then since the drag link is still connects to the tierod?

So what is the ironman andy steering then since the drag link is still connects to the tierod?

Inverted T. Fuck inverted Y and the dumbass who decided to use it on a straight axle.

In my opinion having installed both styles and driven both a good bit, I’d rather run inverted T then single sheer heim crossover. Mainly Bc that track bar, to be right with no bumpsteer, is gonna be a bitch to get in front of the coil spring. And you can’t hang it out the driverside because the sway bar is right there. Inverted T with a derlin TRE boot, such as “the cure” from ruff stuff, has a minimal dead spot. And the track bar won’t need to be lengthened. I’ve even tried it with factory length aftermarket track bar extended as far safe as possible with some single sheer crossover on an XJ. It still needed maybe 3-4” of length to get all the bump steer out of it and dude didn’t want to put that much money into it. This is after a 3 link and this steering he just has to have and me explaining this to him.

Last edited:

I'd draw a force diagram but that would require to much work. Essentially inverted T keeps the force running parallel to the axle tube (Assuming the ram is mounted correctly) and acting on the tie rod ends in the direction they were intended to. Inverted Y is going to be all over the place and would piss off every joint in the steering.

Mainly Bc that track bar, to be right with no bumpsteer, is gonna be a bitch to get in front of the coil spring.
the track bar doesn't have to be the same length as the drag link, (of course long as possible) it has to be parallel and travel in the same arc. Mine ends before the the spring, the clevis end of my Cylinder mount is welded to it. Before I put the hydro assist on, I had no bump steer.

the track bar doesn't have to be the same length as the drag link, (of course long as possible) it has to be parallel and travel in the same arc. Mine ends before the the spring, the clevis end of my Cylinder mount is welded to it. Before I put the hydro assist on, I had no bump steer.

They will not swing on the same arc if it’s not the same length. It doesn’t matter how parallel you make them you will notice bumpsteer throughout the range of travel in my opinion.

Last edited:
They will not swing on the same arc if it’s not the same length. It doesn’t matter how parallel you make them you will notice bumpsteer thorough the range of travel in my opinion.

worked on mine.

I'd draw a force diagram but that would require to much work. Essentially inverted T keeps the force running parallel to the axle tube (Assuming the ram is mounted correctly) and acting on the tie rod ends in the direction they were intended to. Inverted Y is going to be all over the place and would piss off every joint in the steering.
Okay that makes alot more sense.

So looks like I need new steering also.

I might wait for ruffstuff to get more of the diff covers in stock that have the mounting tabs already welded for a steering dampener. Assuming they will hold up to the force of the ram.

My understanding is when you are mounting the ram it needs to be parallel to the tierod on all aspects in order to push and pull in a straight line.

After doing some more reading the key to keep from breaking stuff is make sure your ram isnt too long.

Keith, here is my unsolicited opinion ;)

Don’t spend the money on hydro assist. I had it on my ZJ, took it off, never missed it. I dont have it on the TJ and don’t think i need it. Put hydro assist money towards another upgrade.

Last edited:
^^this. Unless you are just dead set on putting money somewhere besides your wallet spend it on something else (or I do take charitable donations!). I honestly agree with @BigClay. With your axle and tire setup there is no reason a stock steering system won’t work just fine (although an external cooler never hurts anything) and if it isn’t working just fine then it’s something already wrong that a hydro assist isn’t the answer to fix.

@Keith1138 I couldn’t justify the cost vs the benefit with your rig the way it’s setup currently. Yes hydro is cool and nice to have in certain situations but there is a pretty hefty price to pay for it. My TJ had the full PSC setup on it when I got it and am happy with it but if it was my dime it probably wouldn’t have hydro even on 37’s.

@Keith1138 I couldn’t justify the cost vs the benefit with your rig the way it’s setup currently. Yes hydro is cool and nice to have in certain situations but there is a pretty hefty price to pay for it. My TJ had the full PSC setup on it when I got it and am happy with it but if it was my dime it probably wouldn’t have hydro even on 37’s.
I'm realizing that. I watched a couple of youtube videos and they were able to do it for around 400. My philosophy was at the time was 400 was worth the benififit of taking stress off of my steering box and making it easier to turn. Then parts started adding up quickly and I was looking at close to 1k. I am just going to save the money and put it towards skids and a roll cage. Having to get new steering is what got costly.

A cooler makes all the difference and keeps things turning properly. Keith I thought you had the Iron Man Andy steering box brace? If you do, you have nothing to worry about. If you don't, spend the hydro money on that. Even without it you have the bumper that takes a lot of the force and protects it. I wheeled my XJ for years with only the bumper that stiffens the steering box, and all was good. Then I spent the $250 on the steering box brace and feel 100% confident I cannot rip that steering box off.

I agree with everyone above that you don't need hydro assist. Your tires, light foot, and the trails you usually hit you are in good shape. Even as you step up you'll be fine. My XJ has been all over places like Harlan and such without it. But I did have to add the cooler, which make a massive difference.

A cooler makes all the difference and keeps things turning properly. Keith I thought you had the Iron Man Andy steering box brace? If you do, you have nothing to worry about. If you don't, spend the hydro money on that. Even without it you have the bumper that takes a lot of the force and protects it. I wheeled my XJ for years with only the bumper that stiffens the steering box, and all was good. Then I spent the $250 on the steering box brace and feel 100% confident I cannot rip that steering box off.

I agree with everyone above that you don't need hydro assist. Your tires, light foot, and the trails you usually hit you are in good shape. Even as you step up you'll be fine. My XJ has been all over places like Harlan and such without it. But I did have to add the cooler, which make a massive difference.
I dont have the ironman steering box brace just the track bar. I do have an 80 dollar steering box brace.

I dont have the ironman steering box brace just the track bar. I do have an 80 dollar steering box brace.

Since you were willing to spend $400+ on Hydro, consider this. I thought my steering was nice and tight until I added this thing. Man what a difference it made. If you want total confidence and never have to worry about you steering box without fooling with Hydro this is the way. It was also pretty easy to install. Like 30 minutes.
Not only does it brace the box, it acts as another cross member up front and prevents "frame rail" flex. Which, you have a good bumper, the track bar brace, and all that good stuff. This would compliment what you already have nicely. Again, I cant explain how happy I am with mine.

XJ Steering Box Brace

Since you were willing to spend $400+ on Hydro, consider this. I thought my steering was nice and tight until I added this thing. Man what a difference it made. If you want total confidence and never have to worry about you steering box without fooling with Hydro this is the way. It was also pretty easy to install. Like 30 minutes.
Not only does it brace the box, it acts as another cross member up front and prevents "frame rail" flex. Which, you have a good bumper, the track bar brace, and all that good stuff. This would compliment what you already have nicely. Again, I cant explain how happy I am with mine.

XJ Steering Box Brace
I'm now leaning towards it. I think it would be alot more beneficial in the long run.

I just wish someone made a decent skid plate system for a jeep cherokee that worked with long arms.

XJ Steering Box Brace
x2. The MJ my son and I built looks like an ironman add under the front. We put his steering track bar and that brace under it.

I'm now leaning towards it. I think it would be alot more beneficial in the long run.

I just wish someone made a decent skid plate system for a jeep cherokee that worked with long arms.

He does....

XJ Front 4 Link System

This is what is planned for the race jeep we are building..

He does....

XJ Front 4 Link System

This is what is planned for the race jeep we are building..
Lol I'm talking about one that is a tad bit more budget friendly. I honestly think if I build another cherokee I am going to drop the coin and just order everything from him lol.

Back