Your do Everything Rescue Vehicle

Wes

With western NC and other places struggling right now, it had me thinking. What would your go to hell rescue vehicle be without crazy fabrication. You’ll need something big enough for your family, huge fuel tank, ground clearance for water crossing and crawling terrain, enough power and room to haul supplies, something strong enough to winch trees out of the way, and the list could keep on going endlessly depending on your specific needs and situation. An upgraded suspension one ton truck is about all I can think of, but that doesn’t fit every situation where you might have a tight squeeze. A gladiator isn’t hauling much, everything else is soccer mom rides. I know one ride won’t fit every scenario, but I was just sitting in the school pick up line pondering. Be pretty handy to crawl your way into a needed area without totally relying on aircraft for helping folks in need.

Last edited:
With western NC and other places struggling right now, it had me thinking. What would your go to hell rescue vehicle be without crazy fabrication. You’ll need something big enough for your family, huge fuel tank, ground clearance for water crossing and crawling terrain, enough power and room to haul supplies, something strong enough to winch trees out of the way, and the list could keep on going endlessly depending on your specific needs and situation. An upgraded suspension one ton truck is about all I can think of, but that doesn’t fit every situation where you might have a tight squeeze. A gladiator isn’t hauling much, everything else is soccer mom rides. I know one ride won’t fit every scenario, but I was just sitting in the school pick up line pondering. Be pretty handy to crawl your way into a needed area without totally relying on aircraft for helping folks in need.
My dodge dually fits the bill pretty good. I noticed the width gave some concerns. But has plenty of power, fuel and seems to go about anywhere.

A Quigley E350 4x4 Van...

As for the original question.

A Cummins swapped CUCV on 40s would work fairly well :D There's *four* main electrical wires (two of those go to the starter), everything is mechanical/gear driven, lockers, 12k winch, it's pretty easy on fuel...although some extra capacity wouldn't suck...I don't much care about dinging the body up, and it's not obscenely heavy. 6300-ish lbs. It's also got a big bench seat, an 8 foot bed, and just enough of a sound system that you can listen to Free Bird on repeat!

My 2500 Yukon XL is my tow rig and rolling shop. It always has a pretty comprehensive tool set, floor jack, jack stands, battery tools, fluids, jump pack, recovery gear, coveralls, etc. Throw in some water and emergency food, a saw or two, put the reciever mount winch on the front and it's ready to go.

Although I did joke with my wife that I needed a multifuel deuce and a half the other day.

My Ram 2500 is on 37s, has a 50 gallon fuel tank, on board air, and a toolbox full of tools. Add a winch and it would cover most of your list except water crossings as I'd be worried about the electronics. My 93 12v is on 35s and could easily be pressed into action with a few things. If I were to build something it would be a first gen dodge crew cab with a 12v and manual transmission locked front and rear, which I have 90% of the parts to make happen.

Duane

Im with most of the others. I was thinking of this today, and it would be hard to beat my diesel truck... although, in the current situation, I almost wonder if an atv or utv might be better? Seems something smaller might be able to fit around/through what is left of the roads/pathways vs a fullsize vehicle.

Im with most of the others. I was thinking of this today, and it would be hard to beat my diesel truck... although, in the current situation, I almost wonder if an atv or utv might be better? Seems something smaller might be able to fit around/through what is left of the roads/pathways vs a fullsize vehicle.
Yeah but you can't live in that ATV ;-)
But a mount on the back for a dirt bike...

Currently have a M1151 HMMWV at the house to serve this very need, but I'd really love a M1078 LMTV

For similar reasons I sold off all calibers but .22, 9mm, 5.56 and .308. Which is: General availability

While a nice cummins swapped suburban would be ideal, the issue becomes scavenging parts and pieces in SHTF situations. You need access to what may be lying around, and or discarded.

Last edited:
M1084 or M1086 6x6 with Boom Crane.

Currently have a M1165 HMMWV at the house to serve this very need, but I'd really love a M1078 LMTV

For similar reasons I sold off all calibers but .22, 9mm, 5.56 and .308. Which is: General availability

While a nice cummins swapped suburban would be ideal, the issue becomes scavenging parts and pieces in SHTF situations. You need access to what may be lying around, and or discarded.

Unless you added one to the fleet, it's a M1151 at your house 😂.

You wouldn't want a m1078 if you ever drove a MTVR. Aside from having to put fuel in the MTVR that is....

My current Tacoma wheeler. I drive it to and from the trails, my tent is huge, and it will do 70-75 all day and reliable while getting 14mpg loaded down. It's just my wife and our rat terrier, so everything fits. I had it ready to go loaded up during the 2020 summer of love when I lived in the Shitcago suburbs and the mostly peacefully protests were getting close to my house.

As for the original question.

A Cummins swapped CUCV on 40s would work fairly well :D There's *four* main electrical wires (two of those go to the starter), everything is mechanical/gear driven, lockers, 12k winch, it's pretty easy on fuel...although some extra capacity wouldn't suck...I don't much care about dinging the body up, and it's not obscenely heavy. 6300-ish lbs. It's also got a big bench seat, an 8 foot bed, and just enough of a sound system that you can listen to Free Bird on repeat!
You got me at FreeBird! :rockon:

I drove the crane in the parade, and followed you back to your house on the back roads at mach-Jesus 😳
That was an a0 wrecker you drove, but it was a REAL strong running one, 290hp. M1078a1 (330hp) with high speed gears would be a great truck though. Buuuut, the MTVR tuned to 505hp, whew that's where it's at! Lol.

my lexus 80 series reason I went this route after all the different rigs Ive had.....now it would be perfect with the weight it has being cummins swapped which ppl are doing.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Self rescue or specifically aiding others?

For a complete SHTF
Big military equals toooooo much attention.
I'm partial to Old Mopar and if it was available it would be the old 78 Ram Charger.
My son's 12 valve 2500 would be my choice with current yard selection. If I ever get it built it would be my version of a Gladiator based off a YJ. Basic Basic with maybe even a carb. One tons and a utility bed custom built in a closed in half cab. Simple manual everything and little electronics aside from radios for coms.

I want something bailer wire and duck tape will fix, enough power to pull gear equivalent to a quick bug out. Maneuverable, efficient, and just enough gear to vacate to more defendable territories...ie planned rendezvous with the like minded.

Now the other side going after others. MTVR with a multipurpose bed. Hydraulic winches front rear. Small cabin 60 by width of bed with fold down cot, propane stove, propane fridge, storage for dry food goods, and 150 galloon fresh water tank. Awnings on both sides covering camp box and utility boxes down sides. Gear boxes under slung the flat bed but not lower then the lowest point of frame or drivetrain. Extra capacity fuel in rails with another standalone fuel tank for gas. Center of bed left open because the UTV parks here.
Any and all left over space equals tool boxes, custom storage. Cab and camp box covered in solar for battery recovery and on board electronics/lighting.

Back