Ziplines

rcalexander105

JV Wheeler
Let's talk ziplines

I've hunted around on here and there seems to be a few members who have them but the info is sparce. Likely putting one (or a few runs) up at the house for the boys and trying to do my diligence. The first run will probably be about 100ft.

So...who has them? Did you source parts individually or buy a "kit"? Any recommended retailers / brands you'd recommend? Y'all using any hand brakes or returns? What have you learned along the way through trial by fire? Anything to pay-up for or stay away from? Any other info you can share or makes sense to drop in go for it

We bought this one. Had a coupon discount at the time. The kids have enjoyed it, and I've gone down it a couple times (220lbs).

Hyponix Zip Lines for Kids and Adults Outdoor up to 350 Lbs - 160 ft / 120 ft - 100% Rust Proof W/ Safety Harness Zip Line Kit | Zipline for Backyard Kids and Adults | Zipline Kits for Backyard https://a.co/d/0HOAfjh

I built one buying separate parts instead of a kit. I used a bungee cord brake system to prevent crashing into the far tree. I put it up when my son was probably 5 or 6 yrs gold. It worked great, but I took it down a while back and am planning on moving it to a different spot. My son is older now (12) and I am going for a longer run that will be higher off the ground. I can't remember where I bought my parts from.

The trolley I bought removes off the zipline so some neighborhood kid can't wander onto your property and just grab on and go.

Bungee brake system:

Last edited:
My wife bought this one for the kids last year (It was under $100 at the time):

It is fine. We have it strung out about 80ft, and it holds my fatass without issue. The cable looks undersized, at about 1/5" (5mm), but I ran the numbers and it checks out. I wouldn't wanna go any long with cable that size though.

A couple of things of note:
-The steeper the descent angle is, the lower the tension is
-1 stop/decel spring is a pretty abrupt stop. Even my 30lb kid bottoms it out. I'd recommend buying an extra spring.
-Put something around the tree to protect it. The cable around the bark will cut through and kill the tree. I had some 1/2"x2" board laying around, so I cut it into about 2" long pieces and put it between the cable and the tree.
-Play around with the tension. Too tight and it will be too loud and slow. Too loose and it will run out of gravity.

All I know is my back door neighbor set one up going all the way across his yard and it has been a big hit with kids a drunk adults alike. I'm impressed there haven't been any (reported) broken bones yet.

I will second what @jeepinmatt said about protecting the tree. I screwed some pieces of 2x4 to the tree in a few places so the cable only contacts the 2x4's, and not the trunk of the tree. I will take a picture of what I did this Saturday when it is light out when I am at my house.

Last edited:
I built my own when Daniel was 6 or 7 and it was all homemade except for the roller that I found on a job. It did the trick. @ncsutj has one that I got from a customer that he installed, his trees that he attached to should be about dead now so it may be available. :laughing:

I built one buying separate parts instead of a kit. I used a bungee cord brake system to prevent crashing into the far tree. I put it up when my son was probably 5 or 6 yrs gold. It worked great, but I took it down a while back and am planning on moving it to a different spot. My son is older now (12) and I am going for a longer run that will be higher off the ground. I can't remember where I bought my parts from.

The trolley I bought removes off the zipline so some neighborhood kid can't wander onto your property and just grab on and go.

Bungee brake system:
Where'd you source all your parts from? What trolley did you go with?

I currently have 125' of 5/16" winch cable I'm hoping to incorporate into this thing.

I currently have 125' of 5/16" winch cable I'm hoping to incorporate into this thing.
It has been several years, so I don't remember. I will take a picture of my trolley this w/e.

I have 150ft of 5/16" cable currently on an 8274 if anyone wants to buy it.

Took some pictures this morning.

Tree protection
20221210_085836.jpg

Take off platform
20221210_085720.jpg

Trolley

20221210_085538.jpg

Trolley and harness

20221210_085544.jpg

Mine is currently down because I had to cut one of the trees it was connected to down. I went out in the shed to look at the brand this weekend and it was up on a shelf with shit piled in front of it. So I'm no help right now.

Back