Vehicle weight rating change

Danger_Ranger

So this chip truck I just got legally requires cdl license. Is there any way to get it re weighted or re classed to get it under cdl rating? I've done a little Google searching, but it's a little confusing to me. I figured someone on here maybe has already had experience with it.

@Jody Treadway may have an input cause I know he runs flatbeds right around the 26k mark.

Honestly, a B class CDL isn’t that hard to obtain and you’d be good to go and not worry about wasting time with some overmotivated DOT officer.

@Jody Treadway may have an input cause I know he runs flatbeds right around the 26k mark.

Honestly, a B class CDL isn’t that hard to obtain and you’d be good to go and not worry about wasting time with some overmotivated DOT officer.

My sister in laws uncle just went to the class to get his B class changed to an A class, and said the class itself was $4k just for the class.

Well, I stand corrected, I didn’t realize B class CDL also required ELDT training (40hrs + 50hrs behind the wheel) You could non-commercial a b class but that wouldn’t fly given you’re using it for your company. Damn.

You could non-commercial a b class but that wouldn’t fly given you’re using it for your company. Damn.
Unless he just uses it as his POV to commute to work, and some of that commute occasionally involves a stop or two :laughing:

Unless he just uses it as his POV to commute to work, and some of that commute occasionally involves a stop or two :laughing:
IMG_3813.jpeg

We run all of ours at 33k or 54k.
But... pretty sure you can't derate whatever the door sticker says the GVWR is. I wouldn't mess with the DOT personally.
I may be totally wrong.

I dug up an old thread where I thought I had asked this question.
I had a buddy with CDL drive mine home down the interstate, but after that I drove it all over Gaston county with never so much as a second glance from the LEOs I passed.

@Will Carter I was talking to a friend of mine this afternoon and he said he got a non-CDL ticket and it was $30 so the numbers agree. He also said an overweight ticket was a hell of a lot more.

My truck was 29k GVWR, I had it tagged for 26k and planned to just play dumb if it ever became an issue. Empty truck was 21k, so even with a chipper in tow it was under 26k.

I know nothing about the topic but we’re it me I’d be more concerned about the what ifs of an accident with injuries if not properly licensed. I’d assume insurance would say no to covering and then they come after you directly. YMMV, but shit happens even locally.

I know nothing about the topic but we’re it me I’d be more concerned about the what ifs of an accident with injuries if not properly licensed. I’d assume insurance would say no to covering and then they come after you directly. YMMV, but shit happens even locally.
From first hand experience, when Mr DOT comes a knocking, you best have your shit straight

I plan to just use it on local jobs. So I may just use it and save my money to buy a 1 ton truck later on.
Try to stay off the Interstate, & don't cross any Scales! I see a Lot of used Shit Chip trucks, running around, but never seen one stopped. But that may be like I Didn't think DOT stopped City owned refuse trucks, until the pulled a Party one day & pulled Many of them. O, & they just happen to wait for a Rain day, to weigh them. Them Dumpster trucks get kind of Heavy wet water logged trash & gallon of water in the dumpster!

As someone who went through the process to get a class A, dot numbers, 2290s, ifta, all the other bullshit... I wouldn't do it again. Something like a chip truck just don't put anything on the doors and drive it, no one is going to say shit. If you don't have a CDL then the tickets are nothing even if you do get pulled.

My sister in laws uncle just went to the class to get his B class changed to an A class, and said the class itself was $4k just for the class.
And this is why I don't let mine go even though I'm not using it now.

Is your truck a tandem axle?

In general:

There are requirements that make you inspectable by NCSHP.

In commerce weighing more than 26k in intrastate commerce, more than 10k in interstate commerce
Having a tandem rear axle set (3 or more axles on the truck)

If you are intrastate commerce GVWR of 26,001 or more than 10k interstate you also need USDOT numbers

I would personally not risk it, also certain configurations could trigger a required Class A. (Towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more, or a trailer that weighed more than 10,001.)

All it takes is 1 stop by HP motor carrier and it'll get expensive quick.

But, yes you can get it de-rated. There are requirements and it gets expensive, but it can be done. Your better off getting the appropriate license.

If you are not in business or commerce then a regular old class b can be had.

I recommend spending time with with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and USDOT regulations so you know what you're getting into.

Back