Vehicle weight rating change

And this is why I don't let mine go even though I'm not using it now.

Same here. Likely won't ever need it again...but regret dropping it.

What a dot told me here in Ky. If the weight sticker is not in the vehicle it is very hard to figure out the weight The only way was to contact the manufacturer to see how it was built and what weight it set up for originally. So, check with your local dot and ask some questions.
What is the truck rated at now? Anything 26000 and under does not require a cdl But you need a health card for any vehicle that is used for commercial use even a car.
26001 and up is cdl required and IFTA.
I have truck that was a 33000 gvw rated and it doesnt have a weight sticker in it and i run 26000 tags on it with no problems.

Any construction crew out there 50% of the guys been driving without a license for a decade
maybe more when you count DUI suspensions and undocumented people

Any construction crew out there 50% of the guys been driving without a license for a decade
One of my buddies does concrete. Last time they were doing work for me I saw that he had hired one white dude amongst the amigos. I ask him if he got him because he had a valid license. He said nah, he didnt have one either. 🤣. These dudes drive his trucks all over the eastern seaboard

This is the door sticker
20230809_164255.jpg

GVWR is 29,280 pounds. Yep, you need at least a B. I'd get an A so you are covered should you ever pull a trailer. If you make money with that truck, you need a commercial CDL, med card, and fuel tax. You will need weighted or apportioned tags depending on how you use it. Buy your weighted tags for more than what you plan on hauling. That way your covered when the scales come out on the side of the road.

Oh yea, you'll need a DOT number, if you ever go out of state you'll need MC number as well.

Those are not legal in NC.

Besides, you still have to comply with licencing standards and size and weight regulations even with farm tags.

Add in the little red farm use "tags" and that guarantees a stop from the traditional side of the Patrol along with the Motor Carrier guys...

Sounds like I just need to save up some cash, sell this mfer, and buy one that doesn't require cdl lol. Seems like a lot of trouble just to haul some damn wood chips.
A very reputable chip maker and tree disassembler up the road from me has multiple units.....none titled, tagged, insured, or well you get the idea.

He even rents his home and runs the business from the premises.

From a "govco stay outta my hood" standpoint I have think it's stellar. From my perspective I'd be homeless, jobless, and under the jail cell if I pulled all that side stepping the system.

commerce weighing more than 26k in intrastate commerce, more than 10k in interstate commerce
Having a tandem rear axle set (3 or more axles on the truck)

If you are intrastate commerce GVWR of 26,001 or more than 10k interstate you also need USDOT numbers
I cannot read these two statements in a way that makes sense to me...the weights seem highly contradictory in amounts.

Someone explain? So I can haul or move almost 3 times the weight on a state side road without issue, but hauling a tractor and implement (insert what ever) up I-40 and I need to be certed up professional?

I cannot read these two statements in a way that makes sense to me...the weights seem highly contradictory in amounts.

Someone explain? So I can haul or move almost 3 times the weight on a state side road without issue, but hauling a tractor and implement (insert what ever) up I-40 and I need to be certed up professional?

Easy
Intrastate is within the borders of North Carolina. You can run up to 26,000 GVWR w/o triggering being inspectable by DOT

Interstate is travel outside of the borders of NC is a 10,000 pound GVWR before you trigger inspections

does not mean interstate highway or secondary routes. Merely travel in state versus out of state

**** while in commerce

Easy
Intrastate is within the borders of North Carolina. You can run up to 26,000 GVWR w/o triggering being inspectable by DOT

Interstate is travel outside of the borders of NC is a 10,000 pound GVWR before you trigger inspections

does not mean interstate highway or secondary routes. Merely travel in state versus out of state

**** while in commerce
That makes more sense...

All this "Weight" deal makes me wonder about another issue? It had been Years since I bout a new pick-up truck; half ton. When you use to have a standard 4000# pick up tag. With my 2016 half ton, they now charge you for a 6000# tag, although it's not a "weight-limit" tag. Well gee whizz, the new electric mobiles, are Really tipping the scales, & I see a report of the new Ram electric truck, being 8000#. I don't think any State has figured out yet, what to do about this. And think about all the Negativities, requires heavier tires, brakes, more HP to propel it, will cause more damage in a collision, more road / bridge damage, ect, ect! Plus right now they don't pay any road taxes, do they? :mad:

My advice to anyone who has a F250 or 2500 or above pick up truck is to get weighted tags with as much weight that you can realistically put on it. If you haul anything with it on a trailer.

My advice to anyone who has a F250 or 2500 or above pick up truck is to get weighted tags with as much weight that you can realistically put on it. If you haul anything with it on a trailer.

What are the tickets for for being overweigh not the 26k and above cdl troubles. is it just 10cemts a pound over or other tickets?

So if you have tags for 13k and you weigh 18k. 5000 x .10 = $500 dollar ticket.

It's only a $236 difference between 13k and 18k tag.
I see you Mr moneybags.

I don't tow much. Just my tractor within 50 miles of home. I have weighted tags on my truck with the lowest weight I could put on them. My theory is that 9/10 the popo might glance at my tag otw by and see that it's weighted and roll on without actually running the tag, as long as I'm not speeding or something. Probably saved myself several tickets worth over the past 5 or 6 yrs.

What are the tickets for for being overweigh not the 26k and above cdl troubles. is it just 10cemts a pound over or other tickets?

So if you have tags for 13k and you weigh 18k. 5000 x .10 = $500 dollar ticket.
Should be $400 but yeah not usually worth the hassle. You'll get 1k lb leeway so at least put a 12-13k tag on your truck so you halfway look legal.

I see you Mr moneybags.

I don't tow much. Just my tractor within 50 miles of home. I have weighted tags on my truck with the lowest weight I could put on them. My theory is that 9/10 the popo might glance at my tag otw by and see that it's weighted and roll on without actually running the tag, as long as I'm not speeding or something. Probably saved myself several tickets worth over the past 5 or 6 yrs.

Lol its still cheaper than a ticket.. might as well go all in if youre going overweight. That's why I got a 8000lb tag on my 3500. Hell it's been sitting on the floorboard since March and never had an issue in state or out. Been to Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Virginia, PA and eveywhere in between grossing 16k-22klbs. Haven't been stopped yet, I don't think the popo care anymore. Just Mr. DOT man.

Back