‘79 CJ5 Preservation

Crank pulley is swapped over. To make the alternator bracket fit and clear all of the front cover bolts a hole had to be drilled for access to one of the bolts.
8AC9EE41-3198-4583-B91E-633A4C7264E2.jpeg

D2FD13DF-30BB-43D2-8901-0EC1E8BFDE2F.jpeg

I’ll swing by the parts store and grab a new water pump. The Vbelt pumps spin opposite of the serpentine pumps so that needs to be swapped. Once that is on the accessory side is done since I am not diving into a power steering swap right now.

Accessories are done, clutch and flywheel on. Got a line on a few intake manifolds so once that is on it can go back in the Jeep.
F9957CD2-9BD0-4696-ABDD-A21CAC320779.jpeg
F39295EA-5DDE-4C78-AB06-F650B4B4B0E9.jpeg

To this point, these are the parts used:
94 YJ 4.0 Longblock
79 4.2 Alternator and bracket
79 4.2 Crank Pulley
85 4.2 Water Pump
79 4.2 Clutch and Flywheel
79 4.2 Starter

Big thanks to @strange1 for coming through with an intake. Good catching up with ya buddy.

Got the dowel holes ground off and everything loosely bolted up today. I need to make a hardware run for some more fender washers. There is enough difference in the castings and manifold flanges that the oem washers don’t work. Simple fix though. Next was removing the EGR, intake heater hoses and other sensors that don’t get reused without a carb. I’ll figure out the thread pitch and size and get some plugs from McMaster to clean up the holes they left.
7DBB27AC-C16E-4952-8E01-02466DBD7D1E.jpeg

Work has been whipping my ass so this sat for a few weeks. Over the weekend I got the garage organized and the engine sat in place to where I could start on it again. Tonight I was able to get everything hooked back up. So far minimal hardware leftover and it’s been fairly uneventful. The battery wasn’t charged enough to make the Holley happy so it’s on the trickle charger and will hopefully fire up this week sometime. Once I know it’s running I have some fittings and routing on the fuel lines that I want to change.
27F1EB00-4A3A-451B-B7DA-145EB8E11563.jpeg

What number is going to be on the for sale sign

Bumping this as I'm starting to consider a 4.0 in my cj. How was the cj radiator at cooling the 4.0? Currently I'm running the original rad with the 258 and no fan shroud and have never had a problem even in summer traffic. I'd imagine the 4.0 would be just as happy.

Bumping this as I'm starting to consider a 4.0 in my cj. How was the cj radiator at cooling the 4.0? Currently I'm running the original rad with the 258 and no fan shroud and have never had a problem even in summer traffic. I'd imagine the 4.0 would be just as happy.

Ran the original 258 rad. No shroud. It was fine. I would have added the shroud for peace of mind.

My TJ 4.0 sits around 200-215 at all times as does my YJ unless I’m sitting in the trail idling a ton, hot day, no extra air moving past the rad. Both have shrouds.

Back