02 Tacoma Build

I wonder if your running a different trans than I am. From doing the math my current 4th gear has the same final drive as it would in 5th with 4.88s I'm at 3000 rpms @ 72 mph in 4th.

Anyways finally installed my new rear brake line from toytec. A lot better than the old stretched factory piece. Need to swap the front hoses out for new braided ones, pedal is still a slight bit soft for my liking.

Old short hose
uploadfromtaptalk1440726197820.jpg

New one installed
uploadfromtaptalk1440726236401.jpg

Humm idk. I'm not a 100 % for sure on my gears but was told that's what was installed before I bought it. When I get time to install a new center bearing I'll check the pinion rotations compared to tires to confirm gears.

Humm idk. I'm not a 100 % for sure on my gears but was told that's what was installed before I bought it. When I get time to install a new center bearing I'll check the pinion rotations compared to tires to confirm gears.
I know yours will be lower since your on 36 tsl which are way taller than my 35 bfg's but that should be a couple hundred rpm's or so. Speaking of carrier bearings mine is trashed worse than what my oem was. The pinion angle is a little off but not much so not sure if it's that or low quality part.

Run nothing but Koyo bearings. I learned that the hard way.
This one I got at work. Should have been a reboxed Timken but I don't think that's the case. My buddy got the last Timken one before we switch to the house brand and his is holding up fine.

Finally got some more wheeling in and the truck let me know countless times how much I need to regear. Still did really well, can defiantly tell the increased clearance of the 35s. Hit the skids and sliders way less than usual. Anyways on to the few pics I have.

uploadfromtaptalk1442353177195.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442353192780.jpeg

This was a redemption spot, never made on 32s or 33s. Just needed a little bump with 35s.

Some flex shots of the shitty ifs flex.

uploadfromtaptalk1442353212056.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442353230524.jpg

Also last week got my poly rack bushings. Tighten steering up some but need to do the steering column mod and check my itre. Think the tire rods are showing their age finally.

Old rubber bushings
uploadfromtaptalk1442353263980.jpg

Easy way to get the vertical bushing out
uploadfromtaptalk1442353303078.jpg

New shiny red bushings, hear it adds hp
uploadfromtaptalk1442353325406.jpg

Those poly bushing tighten it up a good bit, but also point out the weakness of worn TRE's. What is this column mod?

Those poly bushing tighten it up a good bit, but also point out the weakness of worn TRE's. What is this column mod?
The steering column slip shaft has some play. If you ever hear a clunk in the steering off-road it's the play in that shaft. The fix is to pull it apart and tack weld it so it doesn't have that play anymore. It'll be a few weeks maybe more till I do mine but I'll take pics when I do. There's a write up on TacomaWorld I think.

The steering column slip shaft has some play. If you ever hear a clunk in the steering off-road it's the play in that shaft. The fix is to pull it apart and tack weld it so it doesn't have that play anymore. It'll be a few weeks maybe more till I do mine but I'll take pics when I do. There's a write up on TacomaWorld I think.
I need to do mine bad. It drives me crazy just pulling through the yard.

I need to do mine bad. It drives me crazy just pulling through the yard.
Same here, right now I get a slight steering vibration at speed (55-60) and the play in the shaft just adds to it fairly certain the inner tie rods are worn but need to pull the boot and check.

I think your body style is my favorite of the tacos. Still remencisnt of the old style but welcoming the new.

Have you ever considered bob'n the bed?
It's my favorite as well. The 95-97 as second having more of the old school look and feel.

A bed bob is in its future just haven't had the time to do it. Plan is to take ~14" mainly just want the tailgate even with the frame side shackle bolt.

If you ever plan to sleep in the bed just be sure not to cut it too short!! I didn't do the Bob on mine and it's short unfortunately.

If you ever plan to sleep in the bed just be sure not to cut it too short!! I didn't do the Bob on mine and it's short unfortunately.
I'm 6'4" so sleeping in the bed has never been an option. If you had a silver bed I'd offer to trade ya.

14" is about right to run a double cab camper top. I just thought all my steering slop was typical for IFS trucks. Guess I got a little tuning to do.

14" is about right to run a double cab camper top. I just thought all my steering slop was typical for IFS trucks. Guess I got a little tuning to do.
Steering should be fairly tight on these trucks, however there's many areas that can wear and cause slop. Didn't you bob your bed already?

Back