14 bolt front tech

That helps alot. I was reading through that thread on pirate, but it was 218 pages yesterday.

Sounds like I need to buy the DANA builder inner C's mentioned earlier and use 3.5in DOM pressed into my dually 14 bolt.

Only other option I can think of is to remove the tubes from my 60 and machine out my 14 bolt housing for the 3.75 tubes.
Will need to take measurements of 60 so I can use stock length shafts in my 14 front.

Check the ovality of your 14b tubes/housing. I cannot recall what versions, but I have read folks talking about 14b tubes and housings have oval tubes vs round.

Here it is: Most desirable 14 bolt center for front build
patoyee said:
It's been a long time since I did my research on this so please don't consider this bible truth. But I think the ribbed housings are thicker where the tube enters the housing. And I think it's the SRW ribbed housings that are thicker there still. Also the ribbed housings use actual DOM axle tubes whereas the older non-ribbed housings use that weird oblong stuff that isn't even close to round when you really look at its cross section. At some point they increased the size of the pinion nose bearing as well. I don't know when.

14-bolt thick casting?

There is other good info in that thread. Could copy it here, if preferred.

Also, found these 2 threads with some 14b builder info:

The right foot worthy 14 bolt

https://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/threads/best-way-to-remove-14-bolt-tubes.58926/

Found a deal on some inner C’s
Now to find a deal on some 3.5in .5in wall DOM...
Anyone know how much I need to buy?

6ECFA8C7-8AEC-4B42-ADE9-D438DEA19A45.png

Pretty sure the ribbed dually housing is 3.5, .5” wall tube.

Want me to go ahead and chuck mine into the band saw and find out without question lol?
lol I think the housing is 3.5in ID where the tube goes in. The tube necks down into the housing though. The tube isn’t long enough to run stock length shafts though.
EF87D7AB-7DBE-4622-BEFE-180649B019F3.jpeg

Just saw this thread and wanted to clear something up. Our standard 05+ 60 40 spline shafts do not a fit a steering 14 bolt out of the box. Because of the cross pin offset, seal surface at the axle seal and the how deep in the carrier the splines on the 14 bolt start compared to the 60, the standard shafts don't fit. They have to be custom cut one way or another, so don't spend a huge amount of time trying to make your housing work to those dimensions.

Just saw this thread and wanted to clear something up. Our standard 05+ 60 40 spline shafts do not a fit a steering 14 bolt out of the box. Because of the cross pin offset, seal surface at the axle seal and the how deep in the carrier the splines on the 14 bolt start compared to the 60, the standard shafts don't fit. They have to be custom cut one way or another, so don't spend a huge amount of time trying to make your housing work to those dimensions.
Well I’m glad you found this thread. Custom shafts sound more expensive lol
Should I just go with a 40 spline 60 then?

Up to you, but some things to think about depending on what you're doing. 14 bolt fronts run on the coast side of the gear. If you are going to shave it, you wind up with a 10" ring gear. You can get a 10" hp gear for an 05+ sd axle and it will run on the drive side of the gear. On one hand you limit deflection with a third pinion bearing adding strength, and lose strength running on the cost side of the gear. On the other hand you have gain strength running on the stronger drive side of the gear, but lose strength by not having the pinion support bearing. Both axles are going to require a bunch of fab, either cutting and retubing or spending hours with every tool in the shop trying to cut the cast brackets off of the housing. 14 bolt inners aren't that much more expensive than 60 inners so don't let that be a deciding factor and don't try to build an axle to fit a specific shaft length because they have to be custom anyways. The 60 casting is smaller and narrower, but even with the brackets cut off you have a very short tube on the drivers side for suspension mounts. The 14 bolt casting is big, wide, and has healthy pinion offset, but if you are retubing a 14 bolt with custom shafts you can put it anywhere you like. Finally, hp vs lp, you have driveline angle to consider, clearance with up travel and potentially dragging your driveshaft across rocks. So, I can't give you a straight answer to which one will better fit your project. Both axles are beef, you can't make a wrong decision between the two. But when you consider all the other factors, you may find one that will suit your needs better than the other.

I've built my fair share of units.
These days I'm not really available to post on a forum, but, @Van-go, if you want to send me your cell via PM, I'll give you a shout and talk your ears off.

I think what you’re trying to do will work just fine, based on the fact it's been done successfully. See under.

B33-BDC7-D-D5-D3-41-DA-BDFA-798960-F5-CA2-E.jpg

3227598-D-B0-C7-486-F-B312-1-F8443-DF9-DDF.jpg

Last edited:
Back