1977 GMC Palm Beach Motorhome - sell or trade

TeamSpatula

Howdy - life happens, plans change, so putting this up for sale or trade. Asking $13,000 or equivalent trade value, but I do have some wiggle room for negotiation on a solid offer, so don't be afraid to reach out. Location is between Hickory and Morganton for reference.
I'm hoping to get this sold to a new owner who can give it the TLC it needs. Please note that while this is a very solid coach, it will definitely need some work before hitting the road full time. I can work with buyers on the price some, just need to get this sold.
I bought this a couple years ago with high hopes and dreams. But as they say, life happens, so it's time for me to pass it on to someone else who can give it the care it deserves. I got it from the second owner who bought it in the early 80s. I do have some documentation from over the years. Mileage is at around 78,000 miles and appears to be original.
Overall it is in reasonably good original unrestored condition, basically running and driving with caution. I drove it a couple hours' trip including on highways when I bought it and brought it home. It is currently licensed (clear title in my name) and insured. That being said, just like any antique vehicle, this is a 40+ year old machine, with mostly original equipment, so plan to fix some things up before taking it cross-country, or realistically driving it much more than short distances. I do drive it periodically to keep it up and running, but to be honest I would consider towing it to a new home if you're farther away, unless you are as adventurous as I used to be. It is definitely a project, but a great start and solid base to build on.
Paint is a respray, maybe 10-12 years old, now starting to have peeling in the clear coat, and some scratches and chips. Interior is 99% original, and is functional as-is, but the upholstery and curtains are faded pretty heavily, wood finishes are rough around the edges, and some of the original paneling inside a couple windows is very rough due to some water leaks it had when I got it. (Most leaks now fixed except for super-heavy downpours now a couple little trickles in a couple spots) Some of the original pressboard cabinets do have some water damage, especially in the rear area. Front couch unfolds into 2 bunk beds, dinette folds into a double bed, and rear dinette folds out into a queen sized bed, so it will sleep 6.
Refrigerator is cold, but needs a new door seal.Has dual roof AC units, fans blow, but don't cool.Has rare roof-mounted fiberglass storage locker, which will need a new hinge and some tlc, but is a valuable piece.
Mechanically, it has the original 403 V8 engine, will crank and run.
Tires (Firestones) have less than 1000 miles on them, but they are also now over 7-8 years old, so that's something to keep in mind.I do have a newer set of GMC dually wheels in 16" (for better tire selection) that I can throw in for the right deal.
Brakes work, but are a bit squishy, so will probably need attention.
Battery will take a charge up to crank, but would need to be replaced before driving.
Steering is "clunky" and hard to turn the wheel at certain points, the linkage needs to be rebuilt. It seems to be getting worse, and honestly the wheel is very hard to move at certain points. I have a parts kit for it with new bearings and bushings, just haven't done it.
Rear suspension rubber air bags appear to be original and have surface cracking visible. They hold air ok but again I wouldn't drive very far without replacing those.
Between the air bags and steering I really don't drive it much, other than up and down the driveway and local road. Those were the next things on my list to fix up and the most urgent in my opinion. Then tires and of course a battery.House electrical system works. The plumbing system "used to work" per the last owner, but I have not put water into it. I would test it out before filling it up, especially the blackwater system.
Onan generator will turn over, but not getting fuel, and that's as far as I got with diagnostics.Basically this is a great project that just needs some tuning up and then you can hit the road, or else strip it down and restore it stock, or completely redo the interior, put in a turbo diesel engine, and the sky's the limit.
I have over 50 fresh pics and a short video of the engine running I can send if you are interested, or I am happy to take other photos, or welcome you to come for a visit and test drive. I will be happy to sell, or would also consider trades or partial trades for a small camper trailer, Old VWs, Jeep CJ or YJ, or stock-ish XJ, may also consider older diesel cars and trucks, a metal building, concrete work, well drilling, livestock fencing, skid steer/back hoe etc. I will take trade + cash on your end if that is a good fit, or also I can throw in some cash on my end for the right deal.
Don't be afraid to reach out if you're interested, drop me an email at motorhome1 AT teamspatula DOT com or PM me here. Thanks.

gmc rv2a.jpg
gmc rv1a.jpg

gmc rv3a.jpg
gmc floor.JPG

Yep, that's the same model as the one in Stripes, just no heavy mods like that one had.
They do have a heavy online following and lots of aftermarket support, parts availability, etc. When they are restored they can go for 6 figures, I just saw another one that had been fixed up for sale for over $60k, so think of it as an investment.
There are quite a few "full timers" traveling in them, and I've seen lots of pics of them pulling full sized vehicles or heavier trailers, so I would imagine you could easily pull your rig to the trails with it.
Don't be afraid to PM me an offer, I really need to get this thing to a new home.

Thanks for the trip on the way back machine Mr. Peabody. Parents were looking at one of these (Olds 455 front engine, rear wheel drive) and the FMC motorhome (Mopar 440 rear engine, rear wheel drive) in the early to mid 70's.

Bump, lowering the price to $12k, expanded trade options, I really need this thing gone to a good home. feel free to PM with questions or offers.
thanks

New Year's bump, price drop to $11k, which at that point I'm losing money on it, but I need it gone and off the insurance. Open to trades, CUCVs, Squarebody diesels, gas suburbans, 6.5 Suburban, NICE gas or diesel Excursion, diesel crew cabs, never hurts to ask,

Back