1993 dodge 3500 cummins

Just getting broke in. Oil leaks around the front cover and rear main would be where I would look. Also remove the air intake from the turbo to make sure it has not eat dirt.

What would he ^ know????

BTW Van is the best damn diesel tech I know

ok i looked all around the motor didn see any leaks, havent pulled the air filter, buying it from a old man who has owned it 4 5 years and i know the previos owner so i no the truck hasn been run to death. is there any way to get a little more power out of it

If it is still stock, you can turn it up about 25-30 hp in just a few minutes and it will not cost anything. I had a 93 and turned it up. I would recommend gauges just to keep an eye on the EGT's. Look onto http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php
You can find anything you need to know about the cummins on here. Just do a search for turning up the fuel or "star wheel" and you should find threads telling you in detail how to do it.

Pull the air intake from the turbo and look at the comp. wheel to make sure its not pitted and yes there is more power there its all in the amount of money you wont to spend. Help me out not sure on the year that dodge changed is it a 1st gen are 2nd (in line pump). If it is the in line pump P7100 there is a lot of hp there put it takes more then a laptop to get it. If it is an auto trany. you may not wont to get to much power it well smoke a stock trany.

94 was when dodge switched to 2nd gen. 93 was the best of the 1st gen because it was the only model that can factory with an intercooler and an overdrive tranny, but you are limited to a non-lockup converter in the auto. This motor was 140 hp stock but can easily be turned up.

If it is still stock, you can turn it up about 25-30 hp in just a few minutes and it will not cost anything. I had a 93 and turned it up. I would recommend gauges just to keep an eye on the EGT's. Look onto http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php
You can find anything you need to know about the cummins on here. Just do a search for turning up the fuel or "star wheel" and you should find threads telling you in detail how to do it.
yes the smoke wheel just remember with more fuel you need more air

Stock auto will be about maxed out if you doe the simple free mods like the star wheel adjustment. Anything more than about 30 hp and the stock auto will not like it.

on the valve cover it says 160hp and 400 torqe, i think bout 30hp would be enogh its just gonna be a tow rig not looking to get alot of power just a little more get up and go

Sorry, my bad 93 was 160hp, 91 & 92 was only 140hp.

search "VE rotary" injection pump upgrades.

the best modification is to swap turbos to an HX-35 from a later cummins ($250ish), then adjust the fuel to compensate-

93 was the best of the 1st gen because it was the only model that can factory with an intercooler and an overdrive tranny

My friend has a 92 with both intercooler and overdrive auto. Totally stock, his dad bought it new. So at least some 92s had this, not sure if it was a partial model-year change.

i was having some tranny problems got that fixed, after that i turned the fuel/ starwheel up i turned it 2 rounds is that to much or not enough, it still dont smoke any

Heres a picture of it

picture.php

Back