'88 XJ will not start

NCJeeper

Ok...for the XJ gurus on the board, I have an '88 XJ that just decided not to start a couple of weeks ago. I have power when I turn the key on, but that is it. As of now I have had the battery checked (battery is good), and the starter replaced. The alternator is about a year old and should be fine. The next thing I'm going to check is the Park/Neutral switch, to see if that needs to be replaced/cleaned, however, I'm not too sure of where it's located. Also, I'm going to check the starter relay to see if that is bad...

Any other things I should look for?

Good morning. I do not consider myself an XJ guru by any means, but when i started to show some common symptoms of a dirty NSS, i was told cleaning it could do the trick. check out this thread i started http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6363

Also, i have been told to try and start it in nuetral rather than park to see if it is a NSS issue.

I hope this is helpful, i am sure others on this forum with much more experience than i can be of greater help. the link at the bottom of the thread will show you where the NSS is and the way to clean it.
good luck

Thanks guys...I'll give it a shot. :D

NCJeeper said:
Thanks guys...I'll give it a shot. :D
Does it spin over when you try to start it? I had a '88 XJ that would spin over but not start. Problem? Ignition module.

If the NSS switch doesn't do it, give some more info... is it turning over?? Does your plugs have fire?? If you can pull a fuel line is fuel pumping through the lines?? When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?? Starter solenoid??.

Hey Marty,
Could be a bad contact in the ignition switch also.

BRUISER said:
Yup Neutral trick usually does work...

Ok...now to find the time to do actually work on it.... :)

Marty!!! Whazzzzz Up??!!! Noah from the old q-tec days. Get out in your GErage and get workin'! Home skillet! :flipoff2:

spraypaintman said:
Marty!!! Whazzzzz Up??!!! Noah from the old q-tec days. Get out in your GErage and get workin'! Home skillet! :flipoff2:

Not QualTech Services, Inc?

I work for Engineered Control Systems and Service.

spraypaintman said:

Hehe...I will, especially once the holiday season is done.... :D

Back