adding a 240v outlet to garage

BECO has a great reputation in high point, but they are big enough - that your experience will depend on who gets sent out.
I thought about them funny enough. Ill have to ask my buddy who he used to have his level 2 charger installed. I thought he called BECO, but that they were outrageous and then called another company in Thomasville and had them do the install.
 
I thought about them funny enough. Ill have to ask my buddy who he used to have his level 2 charger installed. I thought he called BECO, but that they were outrageous and then called another company in Thomasville and had them do the install.
Sounds like you already have the answer. Want me to delete this thread?
 
I've found really good deals on Amazon for stuff like this. I bought a 230v 30a GFCI breaker for $40 open box instead of the $100 or whatever they normally cost.

They will also let you return them. Hence the open box deal I guess. :laughing: Lowe’s, HD, etc. usually won’t accept returns on GFCI or Arc fault breakers.
 
I waited for my wife to leave the house for the day…. Once she left…. and wouldn’t worry about me dying.

I ran exterior conduit from my main at the rear of the house. I pulled 3 HD wires through the conduit, terminated it at the receptacles then connected to the breaker box and installed the breaker.

Wife came home asking how my day went….while the 220v compressor was spinning. My answer: “it was a good day.”
 
Guy from BECO came out this morning and tells me that with my current setup, I could run a 240v outlet, but that if I tried to charge my car, run the washing machine, and the dryer or cook in the oven, it would probably trip. He said my current breaker box is a 125? and he said he could upgrade the box to a 200.

Don't know prices just yet, he said he would send me a quote for both options.

I want to do this right, but I know changing out the break box is probably not going to be easy on the wallet and I have made it a habit of charging my car during the night, but I know there might be some times where I need to charge it during the day after a longer trip or something.
 
Last edited:
I'd like to point out that OP @Cherokeekid88 just bought a used Tesla. I'd bet my hat this is for his charger.

There's more to this than just voltage. How many amps do you need? Hence what ga wire? Is there is a special kind of plug? Will this plug on the other side of the wall from your box be in the right place for plugging in the car?

With only 3 open slots and you're about to use 2 of them... how is the rest of the power situation in the garage? If you're running a heavy gauge wire for 240 anyway, is it worthwhile to make it a 60A and put a sub panel on the other end in the garage and be ready to tee off your charger line plus a few more 120s later? Its hardly any more work, all the PITA work will be running the wire, not the hookups.

OP came here asking about the cost to have this done by somebody else. IMO he's on the right track. This isn't a hard task, and would definitely be a journeyman job for an electrician. I'd do it myself w/o thinking twice but I've also cumulative spent weeks of my life reading code and years building up comfort - my impression is OP has no experience doing electrical and IMO running a 240v isn't the place to start DIYing. There's a lot of little things that matter to do it to code.

IMO best scenario is to find a knowledgeable friend to pay and do for you and walk you through it, or just pay a local guy and politely ask if you can watch what he does so you can understand better.
The most intuitive and sensible post I've ever cared for RLG to write that I read lol
 
Last edited:
Back
Top