AGM Batteries

East Penn / Deka makes the OReilly's AGM batteries based on the MSDS that O'Reilly's provides:

https://3eonline.com/ImageServer/NewPdf/48328f9b15a6488797452822e4f7f968.pdf

0008399630002_A.jpg
34magm_front.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
A bit of overkill but im running a xs power d3100 in my yj. I have been a big audio guy for years and figured if they could handle my systems that it could handle my winch and led bars

Still running the red top that was in my 04 Silverado when I bought it in 07 so not sure when PO put it in there. Use to sit for days or even weeks at a time before I bought my new truck. Now it's driven every day. Truck has an amp and on board air wired to battery also. Knock on wood has never given any problems other than a few years ago, running the stereo all night at my friend's bachelor party killed it... Jumped it off and never thought twice about it. Guess I got a good one.

Fixed it for you :flipoff2:
<shrug> Depends on who you talk to... most of the sites refer to them as MSDS.

Someone bumped this thread, how did I not see this before?

@orange150 is right though, it's SDS since 2012 when OSHA changed to the standardized SDS format and obsoleted the term "MSDS". Many outdated/obsolete MSDS are still around, but should have been superceded by an SDS long before now. Everyone is supposed to use the term SDS now (since 2012), because that's what it is now and that's the requirement of the format that companies are supposed to supply. MSDS weren't required to have a standard format, they were only required to have certain categories of info on them.

That's the brief version of the story, and it's less boring than the long version.

I'm the guy who had to keep track of them for a company I used to work for (small company, many hats), so I know that useless bit of trivia.

Last edited:
I'd go with any of the store brand AGM's, they're all gonna be similar. Advance/Auto Zone are both Johnson controls and from my time at the Zone I didn't see many come back but never sold many either. OReilly's should be an East Penn which I've heard better things about over the Advance/Auto Zone ones.

On a side note I would not hesitate to run an Optima again as long as I got it cheaply and it was in something I used all the time. The Red Top I had in the Tacoma was 4-5 yrs old and worked every time I needed it too. I had two yellow tops in the Ford, I did manage to kill both of them from deeply discharging them from sitting without use for so long. I doubt I'll ever get them as cheap as I used too I'l eventually try the OReilly's AGM.

@orange150 is right though, it's SDS since 2012 when OSHA changed to the standardized SDS format and obsoleted the term "MSDS". Many outdated/obsolete MSDS are still around, but should have been superceded by an SDS long before now. Everyone is supposed to use the term SDS now (since 2012), because that's what it is now and that's the requirement of the format that companies are supposed to supply. MSDS weren't required to have a standard format, they were only required to have certain categories of info on them.

If you want to find them on Google, you'd better call them MSDS.

I run the platinum AGM from Autozone, got it for free because a friend bought it, thinking it was a deep cycle! (And you can't return batteries). Been in there for 3 years now, receives zero love, has sat for as much as 6 months without any starting issues. I absolutely hate Autozone, but I would buy one again.

Costco used to have killer kirkland branded batteries, perhaps interstate always made them....but I have had more then a few of their deep cycles die within 6 months (research shows this coincided with a plant move to mexico)

Looked at the specs on the oreilly agm when i went to ho swap out my group 65s and was going to upgrade until i noticed the CCA was several hundred lower. Why would that be? Also does anyone make a comparable battery in size to the optimas with same CA and CCA? Having the extra room under the hood is so much nicer

Having had to replace the deka in the tractor today, and the battery in the bulldozer, the deka lasted 14 years, the carquest lasted 6. Nice, light, compact, NOT AT ALL! Napa batteries are made at the deka plant in Penn, quality seams to be good, I've been very happy with them.

Bring out the dead thread!!
IMG_20210502_200125876.jpg

I've been running non AGMs for a while and this happens to most of them. They get jarred, leak, dead cell, etc.

Which AGMs seem to be holding up the best these days?

The first two red top Optimas I had were military...."surplus"... :D , made in America, and when I got them, they were 4 years old. They lasted 6 more years after I got them. 40 bucks for the pair, I couldn't beat them. I bought two more since I have a Ruff Stuff dual Optima battery box, but these last two have been sucking ass. They were made in Mexico after they sold out. I even have an Optima brand battery charger, which is AMAZING, and they still pretty much suck. I even have 00 battery/starter cables. 2000 cranking amps should make the starter launch in to orbit! Those are in my CUCV.

My 99 Silverado had an Advance Auto Platinum AGM. The first one lasted a few months and straight up died. I got a free replacement and it's been awesome ever since. I figure the first one was just a fluke, bad batch, or whatever. No complaints!

I may try to get two of those in 34/78 and ditch the Optimas once they die completely. Haven't quite decided yet or even looked to see if they make them in that group size.

Fund an optima.

Paid for a yellow top...last 6 months, warranty paid for a second .lasted 3 months...told them I wanted my money back...got an AGM and had it 4 trouble free years now

I may buy an AGM for my CJ7 then move the old battery over to my trailer for the winch.... darn you guys for getting me thinking about spending more money! Lol

For equipment, Walmarts 60 dollar batteries are holding up great with 800+ cranking amps
Hopefully, they improved their batteries the last few years. I know Shawn brags on them. My only experience was buying a used Celica that had a dead Wally battery. It was somewhere like 11 months old, Wouldn't hold a charge. Wally replaced it under the warranty. 25 months later That battery shorted out. You couldn't even charge it. Took it back, & was told it was a 1 year free replacement. I could buy a Advance battery cheaper than Walmarts Prorate price! I told the Man, I'd Never have a Walmart battery. I've never had anyone else's battery Not exceed the warranty, by 1 or more years.

Took it back, & was told it was a 1 year free replacement. I could buy a Advance battery cheaper than Walmarts Prorate price!

Walmart sells batteries with 1, 2, and 3 year warranties. The 3 year free replacement group 34 is $50 cheaper ($120 vs $170) than a battery with the same warranty from the parts house.

As for longevity, the wet cell batteries have all been dying within a couple months of the warranty. The Walmart batteries are possibly a bit shittier than the rest, but they're 30% cheaper and warranty replacement is easy. The 1yr warranty batteries are cheap enough to be disposable, but replacing them constantly would piss me off.

As for AGM, I've been trying the parts house AGMs. They're about $200. The gold standard is still Odyssey. I don't bother with optimas for obvious reasons.

Is Autozone the best bet for Odyssey as far as walking and rockin out?

This POS battery I have right now may or may not make it through the week.

Back