Another 1 ton YJ (but this one is mine)

Just stumbled across this thread. I was wondering how you were gonna get that front 60 out after we got it in there :)
Nothing done right seems to be done fast- which is why I never get anything done... Keep up the good work.

haha yeah man, that thing is pretty heavy!
I am definitely going very, VERY slowly. Not doing anything over the winter just because it is cold out there, but money causes things to go slow as well. And I definitely want things done right.

The other day I ordered simple swap kits from RuffStuff for the 14b and the d60, that way I can at least get these things mounted up under there first thing in the spring.

There's still a long way to go after that, but at least it gives me a hobby to work on :)

Hey man, this is Evan checking in on your build! I have my xj in the shop, custom long arms and dana 44 and 9in swap.

Hey man, this is Evan checking in on your build! I have my xj in the shop, custom long arms and dana 44 and 9in swap.
hey man, that's awesome
i'm waiting til spring to finish mine up--it's too cold/wet outside.

Chase: i'm sure i'll be giving you a call to order stuff. Once I save up the cash I'll need both axles regeared, and I'll probably be buying lockers too! who knows what all else...

Well now it's looking like I jumped in prematurely...
I think I'm going to put my d60 back together and put it and the 14 bolt up for sale. I know now that I don't have the time or the money to complete this 1ton project.

I'll probably go back down to 33s or 35s, if I keep my jeep at all. Sad, I know, but such is life.

I'm replacing the seals in the d60, and after I get it together I'll put it up for sale/trade here. I guess I could do with a pair of d44s or d30/8.8: geared 4.56 or 4.88.

:-(

Sad bud, I know how ya feel. Didn't know how much time and money it was going to take to do my swap either, but I'm about half way there!

^^^This issue is why I have the jeep I own now. The first YJ/ one tons, linked... the whole she-bang was way more than I could afford. I stepped back down to something more realistic that I could drive around, and I'm having a blast with it :beer:

If I were you, I would put in a HP44 front, SUA, and a 44 rear and be merciless on it. I hadn't already built the piss out of my HP30, I would have gone the HP44 route (and probably will if I ever blow up a ring gear in this one).

^^^This issue is why I have the jeep I own now. The first YJ/ one tons, linked... the whole she-bang was way more than I could afford. I stepped back down to something more realistic that I could drive around, and I'm having a blast with it :beer:

If I were you, I would put in a HP44 front, SUA, and a 44 rear and be merciless on it. I hadn't already built the piss out of my HP30, I would have gone the HP44 route (and probably will if I ever blow up a ring gear in this one).

Yep, exactly!
D44s sounds like the best option, I was snapping d30s shafts so I don't want to be locked in there (and still have to shell it out for chromos and such).

bah, I decided to go ahead and keep the 1 tons... do it once and right, eh?

This past tuesday went and had the D60 and 14bolt geared up at ECGS, and had a Grizzly locker put in the rear (I haven't decided what I'm doing with the front yet)
So now I'm geared to 5.38.

My buddy Zach took my SRW 14b hubs to the shop at his school and sandblasted them with glass bead, and they turned out pretty dang good. I laid them down with a coat of primer.
He did the same with my d60 spindles.

I sent payment to Gubni for a disc brake kit for the 14b

This weekend I plan on:
-removing my knuckles so zach can sandblast them
-removing my rear bumper
-mocking up location of 14 bolt rear to help determine whether I want to stretch my wb or not. it may be something i hold off for later on.
-install new bearings in spindles (got kit from ecgs while I was there)
-swap bearings from DRW to SRW 14b hubs/remove drums (I will be using SRW hubs on my C&C to push the wms-wms out a few inches to be closer to the front width. C&C comes with DRW hubs which makes wms-wms about 5" more narrow)
-clean up 14b and get it ready for primer
-clean up d60 and get it ready for primer
-other?

i'm sure all of that won't get done, but that is my goal for now!

I don't have any good pictures, but here are a couple I have:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TbqrxYfpQJI_AAAAAAAAArfd0da9ddb9a035f780268f0ec58f3bd5.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TaOv2_GxVYI_AAAAAAAAAqU_NxZ037oeHHA_s600_DSC09258.JPG

alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TbqrwDMd2JI_AAAAAAAAArf81639df36c68c8df1e00a0c62fe55c9.jpg

why did you go with a dually rear? jw
build look good. the blue looked really good when you got it, suck they never seem to stay the same color

Going to be nice when finished. Same axles I'm putting in my 88yj. But, I am running 4.56 gears with a detroit out back open front for now. Going to run a twin sticked D300 with 39.5 Iroks. Trying to decide on springs up front or a 3 link.

I have a set of 2.5" 8 lug spacers if you want to match the rear with the front. Not trying to sell anything explicitly, just trying to help you out at a good potential deal.

why did you go with a dually rear? jw
build look good. the blue looked really good when you got it, suck they never seem to stay the same color

it's a C&C, which is basically a SRW housing with DRW hubs. it's just what I had found at a decent price at the time.

336wheeler said:
I have a set of 2.5" 8 lug spacers if you want to match the rear with the front. Not trying to sell anything explicitly, just trying to help you out at a good potential deal.

thanks man, but I don't need them--I have SRW hubs I am putting on the 14b to make it match up

Bridgeman said:
Going to be nice when finished. Same axles I'm putting in my 88yj. But, I am running 4.56 gears with a detroit out back open front for now. Going to run a twin sticked D300 with 39.5 Iroks. Trying to decide on springs up front or a 3 link.
that will be a nice setup!
I'm planning on keeping the np231 and sticking to 37s. depending on how long I will wind up keeping this thing!

I did not get nearly as much done as I had wanted to. I was just trying to remove the top-driver-side kingpin just about the entire time I was able to be out there working. Well, and I got the axles out of the trailer and moved them around and set up, but that was pretty quick.

3 of the 4 bolts were rounded enough to make things difficult. and the 4th was not very easy either. I actually ground one off...

alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1bM9l3uBI_AAAAAAAAAtI_O8_ZCuJX_0M_s600_DSC09269.JPG

here's the nice stuff I found up underneath:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1bPL23YUI_AAAAAAAAAtM_DTMQJys0by4_s600_DSC09268.JPG

one of these is the one that came out (although it still brought the stud with it). the other one I welded to the stud.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1bl8MKD7I_AAAAAAAAAtQ_6iY_rnGloiw_s600_DSC09271.JPG

this was one of the more difficult ones. I found another nut and put it on there, and welded onto the stud. worked great although my welding skills are definitely subpar!
alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1b9j3oOaI_AAAAAAAAAtU_h_RtULAuA_E_s600_DSC09273.JPG

kingpin and teflon cone in some nasty grease:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1cHgD3YeI_AAAAAAAAAtY_OGAONm90Ftg_s600_DSC09274.JPG

no cone:
alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1cbUnXZ0I_AAAAAAAAAtc_vidUvxhcieU_s600_DSC09275.JPG

I got this "kingpin removal tool" from ECGS while I was there. it slides in and a socket goes on it.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1dEclRqtI_AAAAAAAAAtk_sUOtWoRzaAA_s600_DSC09276.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1c9OII4XI_AAAAAAAAAtg_Hv8RIp4QjZQ_s600_DSC09277.JPG

the axle was moving around when I put a breaker bar on this guy, so of course I had to secure it.... :-D
alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_Tb1dJnU2hXI_AAAAAAAAAto__UBJdBp72H0_s600_DSC09278.JPG

That's about as far as I got. I didn't get the kingpin out, but about then was when the wife was telling me I had to come watch the kids and all that. Seemed pretty stuck in there, maybe I'll need to get a longer breaker bar!

and now I have a dang cold, don't know how much more I will be able to get done this weekend. :-/

Skimmed through the build, Glad you decided to the finish the 1 tons, its tough when you start adding up what its going to take to get it on the trail as well as the amount of time your not going to be wheeling it. Other than the cost of putting tons in, the time off the trail is hard to cope with.

Good to see your making progress, should be a nice set up when its completed.

Well it'll certainly be cheaper in the long run this way. Got any idea for tires yet?

For tires, I'm not too sure--I'm saving those for near last since they are pricey as all get out.

Right now I am kind of thinking about getting recentered Humbee double beadlocks + the humvee take-off tires.

or I could use the H2 wheels I have and maybe get some pitbull rockers or something of the sort. The downside here is, no beadlock. (and inner airlocks are $$)

so, I'm leaning towards the takeoffs.

I was finally feeling a little better this afternoon, so I went out and took apart my SRW hubs:

tools of choice (minus baljoint fork):
alh5.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHlWTbCwMI_AAAAAAAAAuI_AOdSVQskw28_DSC09279.JPG

bearings and races, all filled up with sand from the glass beading and such:
alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHlZrFWGkI_AAAAAAAAAuM_LJRkOAj5KUU_DSC09280.JPG

sprayed it out with brake cleaner to get all the media out:
alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHlZt_id_I_AAAAAAAAAuQ_Szip5FJsDBU_DSC09281.JPG

primered:
alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHlevcwa6I_AAAAAAAAAuc_unnjDQXWZpg_DSC09284.JPG

paint:
alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHlaTSR0JI_AAAAAAAAAuU_he5692jusZg_s640_DSC09282.JPG

my paint booth.... :rolleyes:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHle14i8UI_AAAAAAAAAug_I7D4HZWG0jg_DSC09283.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcHldCE0_TI_AAAAAAAAAuY_s1Zl9GHders_DSC09285.JPG

that's as far as I got. those snap rings were a PITA, although the second hub went much faster. When I get a chance I'll remove the hubs and drums from my 14bolt and scrub it down so I can mock it up and paint it. then install the disc brakes.

went to work on the 14 bolt. I was going to remove the drums and go ahead and install the new disc brake kit that I got from Gubni on here...

bunch of gunk down in here:
alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVKGw8hcBI_AAAAAAAAAvg_CLFpYJu48vo_s600_DSC09286.JPG

getting the hub/drum off was surprisingly easy!
alh5.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVJ6XJOMjI_AAAAAAAAAvY_qWtfvv3uF9E_s600_DSC09287.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVKAW_zgtI_AAAAAAAAAvc_D3FZIEFLilc_s600_DSC09288.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVKS42J6GI_AAAAAAAAAvo_wr3vBl2fZBI_s600_DSC09290.JPG

the backing plate thing even came off pretty easy, the 4 rusted up bolts didn't give a bit of a problem!
alh4.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVKomKEsmI_AAAAAAAAAvw_oPVF_Qyq7Zk_s600_DSC09291.JPG

needs to be cleaned up...
alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVKfUXgnKI_AAAAAAAAAvs_uN07opN1k7k_s600_DSC09292.JPG

new calipers and such:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVK2I6zFHI_AAAAAAAAAv4_723JJom0Pas_s600_DSC09294.JPG

alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVK_M7xYDI_AAAAAAAAAv8_cOGJgQYgEtU_s600_DSC09296.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcVK_u_OEHI_AAAAAAAAAwA_A0Co2p9Bsp0_s600_DSC09295.JPG

and doh!
alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcRG6TuxSII_AAAAAAAAAvA_iv9FY_TV9O0_s576_IMAG0032.jpg

I am using a C&C housing with SRW hubs. When I ordered this kit I knew the SRW and C&C housings were the same length and stuff, but I had missed this caveat from the bible:

pirate 14bolt bible said:
The SRW and C&C axles use the same housings and shafts, with the difference in width being in the hubs. The housings are actuallly identical except for the location of the backing plate flange. Drums & hubs are different, but backing plates, shoes, and wheel cylinders are the same)

so...I'm sending the brackets (and bolts/spacers) back and getting some weld-on ones from Gubni, then I should be good to go!

I was messing around yesterday after I got the other side drum off and started grinding off the shock mounts. I then started on removing the perches, but I was cutting on it forever with my angle grinder but really didn't seem to make any progress. So I had to ask ( http://nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=891709#post891709 )

I put the 14b up under the rear and put it on the springs (the stock mounts line up correctly), so I was able to put it up on its own weight in the rear and see how it would look:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcXouV_QeMI_AAAAAAAAAww_CLo8WX2G5do_s600_IMAG0038.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__d4xnJM_h7n4_TcXpE_Q1yBI_AAAAAAAAAw0_itWNMZ0QrX4_s600_IMAG0037.jpg

this was temporary since it wasn't bolted on or anything. I'm also still thinking about the stretch....I need to get a 22v welder (maybe for fathers day).

I think moving the rear back is going to be better in the long run, I know its tough to add additional cost but it will be worth it. Looks like the rear is tucking but It is hanging.

Looking at the pics that's what I am thinking too. While I have everything apart and all that especially.

what do you mean tucking but hanging?

Back