Bang for Buck Best Cheap Tow Rig?

TheCredibleHulk

Alright guys so long story short a few years back I sold my Cummins truck and my trail rig TJ in order to buy a house. I wound up with a nice new expensive JK and a hefty mortgage and I have been taking the easy lines and counting every scratch and ding ever since. Now wifey is going back to grad school and getting rid of a car payment would be awesome. I also want to get back on the hardlines and back to taking bigger trips without worrying about how I'm gonna get to work on Monday if I screw up. So I've got my eye on a couple trail rigs and buggys that are lurking around and I need some advice on tow rigs.

I'm trying to find something in the $5,000-$10,000 range that's v8 or diesel powered. Less than 20 years old, lower mileage the better. That is capable and comfortable towing a samurai or Toyota based trail rig that I figure will be in the 3000 lbs range, and an average 2 axle car trailer.

So what's the best tow rig for the money? I've been comparing trucks, suv's, diesels and I've found way to much information and a lot of what I feel are slightly exaggerated tow capacitys. I.E. the wk grands with hemi are supposed to be rated for like 6,000lbs with the tow package, I just don't see them being comfortable towing a 4500lb load for 6 or 8 hours to get to some of my favorite wheeling spots.

So what is/has everyone in the past that would fit the bill? If you were trying to ball out on a budget what tow rig would you chose?

Cheers,
Jon

Ford 6.0...... Just keep in mind it needs $4k in upgrades but the best bang for the buck as long as you dont crank up the turners.

No joke man, I had a 2003 chevrolet 1500 WT with the 4.8 4wd auto and towing my buggy (4k) it would get 14-15 mpg and I would run 70 plus and keep up with real tow pigs. I "upgraded" to a '12 2500 gasser and get 10mpg pulling the exact same load. Ballin on a budget; plain jane 4wd 1500 SCSB real talk. Oh and 20+ mpg DD.

I have a 01 E250 with 5.4, hitch and trailer brake control that is perfect and cheap. Camp in it, leave your gear in it, scratch it. Only $2200 with 250k on the clock. With those savings you can afford more trips!

VW Touareg V10 TDI. Super plush, tons of torque, and in your price range if you shop around don't mind 100k miles.

If you're set on a truck, and you want a low mileage diesel, it doesn't really exist in your price range. I personally like buying higher mileage trucks in good shape because it shows the owner took care of it, and the dollars saved can be put towards whatever inevitably breaks.

With that budget you won't touch a diesel. Best bet would be a gas 3/4 ton regular cab long bed 2wd truck. Not sexy at all. But would get the job done.

I also like the van idea.

get your money ready and watch @cass92lx50 in the vehicles for sale. I have Never bought from him, but what he sells seems to move quick. Lots of 200k diesel at reasonable price. I have a 7.3 4x4 psd with 240k that I paid 4300 for. But with what I know about diesel, it could shit the bed tomorrow.

get your money ready and watch @cass92lx50 in the vehicles for sale. I have Never bought from him, but what he sells seems to move quick. Lots of 200k diesel at reasonable price. I have a 7.3 4x4 psd with 240k that I paid 4300 for. But with what I know about diesel, it could shit the bed tomorrow.

I bought a f350 from Chad a few years ago and it was a good deal and a really nice truck for the $.

I'd maybe look for a 6.0 GM 3/4 ton gasser with some higher mileage. Cut back and get either an extended cab or even a regular cab.

But with what I know about VEHICLES, it could shit the bed tomorrow.
Fixed it for you. And quit giving away my secrets. I've bought 3 vehicles from him so far.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

No joke man, I had a 2003 chevrolet 1500 WT with the 4.8 4wd auto and towing my buggy (4k) it would get 14-15 mpg and I would run 70 plus and keep up with real tow pigs. I "upgraded" to a '12 2500 gasser and get 10mpg pulling the exact same load. Ballin on a budget; plain jane 4wd 1500 SCSB real talk. Oh and 20+ mpg DD.

Honestly I've dismissed the 4.8 for a lot of years as "the little brother" after doing a little reading it really seems like it can hold its own. I will not make the mistake of overlooking a 4.8 truck again.

I have a 01 E250 with 5.4, hitch and trailer brake control that is perfect and cheap. Camp in it, leave your gear in it, scratch it. Only $2200 with 250k on the clock. With those savings you can afford more trips!

I love a 5.4 truck in general, they all seem to go 200k+ problem seems to be that most of them already have lol.

Any opinion on the 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon? Seem to always be a few around, all v8's, most 4wd and I've found them all over with 120k or less for around $8k. Rear coils scare me a bit but I can always add an air bag to the back and I won't have to worry about a weighted tag?

Any opinion on the 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon? Seem to always be a few around, all v8's, most 4wd and I've found them all over with 120k or less for around $8k. Rear coils scare me a bit but I can always add an air bag to the back and I won't have to worry about a weighted tag?
The added bonus of not buying weighted tags. I would look at v10 excursion if I was going Tahoe route.

I just picked up an almost mint 2002 2500HD with 222k for 12k. Loaded, crew cab, 4x4, leather, Duramax. Of course, it needs injectors, but otherwise I was happy. You could find a diesel in your price range for sure, just gotta keep an eye out and see what pops up.

I like GM 6.0 gas trucks as well. Could probably get the same truck I got with a 6.0 gas motor for about half the price and let someone tweak it with HP Tuners or EFI live and have a nice tow rig with pretty good power.

A Tahoe/Yukon wouldn't be terrible, but towing with a 5.3 in an already hefty SUV will definitely make you want some more power.

I'm not a Ford guy, but I've also just never liked the 5.4 or their V10. Something about a motor that loves to blow spark plugs out of the heads never gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

The plug issue didn't start till after 02. I never had a problem with mine and it has 250k and the 3rd set of plugs with no issues. Possible operator error?

96-00 k2500 suburban with 454, can tow just as much as newer trucks with 8.1 and get better mileage towing 2k lbs more.

Cheaper to purchase, and less quirks of the 01-07 Chevy electrical systems.

Can be found for less than $6k

Can tow 10k lbs with a regular license plate. This saves $250 or so each year over a weighted tag.

Gets 14 mpg empty, and 6-10 towing 7k lbs depending on speed.

Figure on factory trans lasting to 220k miles or so, then rebuild.

You can fit an air mattress in the back, when the weather gets to bad to camp.

Found my truck over a month ago for just under $10k with 99k miles on it. It's a 2000 siverado 2500 6.0 iron block auto 4x4. There are more decent cheap pickups available just got to look all over for them. I got lucky and the small lot down the road from me had this one and I jumped on it. I towed my jeep to Uwharrie soon after without issue.

uploadfromtaptalk1449203541844.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1449203562692.jpg

I didn't have the coin for a diesel when I was looking for a tow rig so I opted for the Dodge 8.0 V10, plenty of power but loves gas. I DD a suburban with the 6.0 and it has plenty of power, but the suspension is meant to ride nice, and not have a heavy load on it. I have contemplated selling both and picking up a four door 2500 6.0 or 8.1 for double duty.

How many acres of land you own? If you have 10 do like me and run farm tags on whatever truck you own. Half the price of weighted tags literally.

Unfortunately I'm only on 3/4 of an acre in a subdivision with an vicious HOA. Had to sell my dually because it wouldn't fit in the driveway. Love the area and the HOA keep the riff raff out, but it makes it very tough to keep all the toys and projects I get into in one place. I'd love to have my 24v 6 speed quad cab long bed cummins truck back but it's just not feasible right now.

One option for a reliable, decently low milage truck ....Chevy/GMC 6.0 gas 2500/3500...

96-00 k2500 suburban with 454, can tow just as much as newer trucks with 8.1 and get better mileage towing 2k lbs more.

Cheaper to purchase, and less quirks of the 01-07 Chevy electrical systems.

Can be found for less than $6k

Can tow 10k lbs with a regular license plate. This saves $250 or so each year over a weighted tag.

Gets 14 mpg empty, and 6-10 towing 7k lbs depending on speed.

Figure on factory trans lasting to 220k miles or so, then rebuild.

You can fit an air mattress in the back, when the weather gets to bad to camp.

X2. I also pulled with a 5.3 Tahoe. For what you will be pulling, it will do it no problem.

Back