Bang for Buck Best Cheap Tow Rig?

I'm looking at tow rigs slightly above that budget and still having a hard time. Part of me wants to consider diesels, either 6.0s or 6.4s, but I hear far too many horror stories about injector replacement, even if the oil cooler doesn't take the head gaskets out. A good friend of mine works for MS Dept of Wildlife, had nearly every 6.4 they owned go back for a $7000+ re-injectoring.

Ugh...
I've got a 6.4 with 318k miles on it. Not sure what maintenance the PO did, but it runs like a champ.

I've got a 6.4 with 318k miles on it. Not sure what maintenance the PO did, but it runs like a champ.
I just traded my 03 6.0 for a 16 6.7 powerstroke. The 6.0 had 220k on the stock bottom end and headgaskets. I put another 50k on it after the rebuild before trading at 270k. Had to build it cause a lifter locked up and ate the camshaft. The lifter one egr cooler and one oil cooler were all I could blame Ford for.

My idiot ass running a race tune ate 13 fuel injectors because the stock pump couldn't keep up, two turbos from 45+ psi boost, two clutches and a rear axle[emoji26] but it sure was fun. After I put the tow tune in it and left it there in 2009 I only had to replace one injector and I'm sure it was already on the way out.

It had a tuner since it had 9000 miles and was beat to death since I bought it in my early twenties. The new truck is gonna stay stock other than stereo. I've learned my lesson.

I just traded my 03 6.0 for a 16 6.7 powerstroke. The 6.0 had 220k on the stock bottom end and headgaskets. I put another 50k on it after the rebuild before trading at 270k. Had to build it cause a lifter locked up and ate the camshaft. The lifter one egr cooler and one oil cooler were all I could blame Ford for.

My idiot ass running a race tune ate 13 fuel injectors because the stock pump couldn't keep up, two turbos from 45+ psi boost, two clutches and a rear axle[emoji26] but it sure was fun. After I put the tow tune in it and left it there in 2009 I only had to replace one injector and I'm sure it was already on the way out.

It had a tuner since it had 9000 miles and was beat to death since I bought it in my early twenties. The new truck is gonna stay stock other than stereo. I've learned my lesson.
Damn
Good
Advice!

How bout a early 90's Cummings fairly cheap for a diesel but still good on fuel around 20 mph and reliable and all mechanical motor

What's a Cummings? :D

Those trucks in good shape are still kinda pricey, believe it or not. They're getting much harder to find!

The cost of new trucks is driving up the cost of older trucks in good shape.

Some new diesel trucks fully loaded can get up to 70k. Insane!

What's a Cummings? :D

Those trucks in good shape are still kinda pricey, believe it or not. They're getting much harder to find!
Quick on the draw with a pocket full of money and you will get a deal on once in a while seen 4 or 5 for under 5 grand on cl in the past year needing some tlc

You're right...gotta be REAL quick on Craigslist! The vultures will snag them up fast!

ive got a 2000 2500 burb with the 6.0. l love it. I've been following this thread because i want to sell it and pick up a 2005+ dodge with a 5.7h. havent seen much talk on newer dodges here. any of you guys tow with one?

I have towed my TJ with an 06 1500 Hemi. Does really well and not awful on fuel if your not climbing mountains.

Had a guy come in hauling a triple axle gooseneck with a newer 5.7 powered 2500 Dodge. He said he liked using it more than his 97 12 valve because of the 7 (or however many speed) automatic vs the older 4 speed. He said the mileage sucked, but it pulled it "better". I get what he's saying, but I would have probably still used the diesel, personally.

Alright guys so long story short a few years back I sold my Cummins truck and my trail rig TJ in order to buy a house. I wound up with a nice new expensive JK and a hefty mortgage and I have been taking the easy lines and counting every scratch and ding ever since. Now wifey is going back to grad school and getting rid of a car payment would be awesome. I also want to get back on the hardlines and back to taking bigger trips without worrying about how I'm gonna get to work on Monday if I screw up. So I've got my eye on a couple trail rigs and buggys that are lurking around and I need some advice on tow rigs.

I'm trying to find something in the $5,000-$10,000 range that's v8 or diesel powered. Less than 20 years old, lower mileage the better. That is capable and comfortable towing a samurai or Toyota based trail rig that I figure will be in the 3000 lbs range, and an average 2 axle car trailer.

So what's the best tow rig for the money? I've been comparing trucks, suv's, diesels and I've found way to much information and a lot of what I feel are slightly exaggerated tow capacitys. I.E. the wk grands with hemi are supposed to be rated for like 6,000lbs with the tow package, I just don't see them being comfortable towing a 4500lb load for 6 or 8 hours to get to some of my favorite wheeling spots.

So what is/has everyone in the past that would fit the bill? If you were trying to ball out on a budget what tow rig would you chose?

Cheers,
Jon
Well for less than 10k you can get a single axle semi that will pull anything you throw at it.. an gets 10mpg.... and you don't have to have CDLs
20160106_173118.jpg

You have to have cdl for air brakes don't you?

The way I understand it, if you are not for hire and under 26,000, you do not need a CDL for air brakes.
Keep the "Stuntman Racing" decals off the truck and replace them with NOT FOR HIRE. :cool:
Buying a good MDT makes sense for a dedicated tow rig IMO.

Downgraded from a 7.3 4x4 Excursion with all the goodies to a Z71 Tahoe and haven't looked back. Loved the diesel, but it constantly needed attention, maintenance, heater plugged in, romp idled, and hated the cold. Tahoe is a turn key and go. Tows my XJ without issue, doesn't require a weighted tag, and I can sleep in the back of it instead of a tent at URE. Can't kill the LS 5.3. Put a trans cooler on the 4L60 and you're good to go.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well for less than 10k you can get a single axle semi that will pull anything you throw at it.. an gets 10mpg.... and you don't have to have CDLs View attachment 210098
Yeah but that opens a whole can of worms.
Insurance on something that all u can do is pull with.
Heavier tag $$$
Unless you get a cab over day cab its gonna be hard to get around in some places.
tires are more expensive
more maint cost
Its gonna cost a lot more to get towed home if it breaks down.

I agree its alternative,but for me Ill stick w my PSD.

What about getting insurance on an ex commercial vehicle for private use?
4/5 years ago I bought a F350 4wd reg cab that the city of Bristol had bought new.When I went to ins it I had to get commercial ins since the vin indicted it was a commercial vehicle.In the end I think the ins was actually a lil cheaper than my pass ins on my other vehicles.

What about getting insurance on an ex commercial vehicle for private use?
I bought a bucket truck, gave the insurance company my VIN, and they added it to my insurance. No big deal, no questions asked. Insurance on it is less than anything else I own.

Back