Begging rules

hunterdan

I know... kinda weird topic but,

There's a guy in my town (Morganton exit 100) that is begging at the off ramp 3-4 times a week for around last 5 months. He is usually out there at rush hour and any time it's raining or even during our last snow for effect.
He has a mangled cardboard sign that reads "traveling hungry" and always has a backpack and blanket... beside him... though he lives right here.
I used to give money to these types but a while back my mother said she brought this guy some KFC went back down i40 got off i40..'u-turned and went back down to his spot gave the chicken and he threw it on the ground and said "I don't need f...'n chicken"
My mother had put a few bucks in the bag and I hope he left it there.

Don't get me wrong if someone is in dire need whether their own fault or not...I say help them however you feel moved...I just hate being bamboozled.

My young son said why doesn't he take that "now hiring job" right there at the exit. I explained that it would be too hard when deceiving was so easy and lucrative.

Last edited:
There are three that take turns by the intersection at my last job. One had a nice square body S10 he would park in McDonald's parking lot with a load of firewood in the back for sale (handicap placard no less). One has a nice VIP scooter he parks on the sidewalk in front of ABC store when he buys his liquor and the Cruisers when he buys his Marlboros. The other guy has a really long beard that is all combed and dresses pretty nice (get this, guy has perfectly white socks! What bum has clean socks??)and stands out there smoking Marlboro reds. He gets dropped out of a clean little XJ most days. They all hold different signs that say the same thing "NO JOB NEED HELP GOD BLESS", must be a bum union thing. They all throw their trash out right where they stand and make a mess, I used to clean it up b/c it was in front of our shop(how i know their cig brand).They really bothered me taking advantage of folks like that. My B.I.L. ran a domestic call at the scooter guys house and said it was a nice little house right up the street from the corner where he begs. They will hang out by the S10 and take turns standing on the corner. I dont get it, they are all three obviously capable of holding a job. Cutting firewood is damn hard work!

My rule is I don't give shit to people bumming on the street, especially so when the girls are with me.

I've tried to help people bumming in the past and every time it ended with them refusing help or food and just wanted cash. Or, later saw the guy on the news robbing a college student that tried to give him a few $.

I work too hard for my $ to give it away.

Many of these Fakers, make as much money as we do, just standing there begging all day. Why Should they work? TOO easy to Beg!
I've never understood Charlotte's laws on this. Some parts of town, they can, other places they can't. I think there within the Law as long as they don't disrupt traffic. :shaking:

We have a couple of them that hang out at both exits of our food lion parking lot. The cops used to run em off, but apparently they have a "panhandlers permit " now so they're legit. Never heard of such. One actually talks on his cell phone while begging. They all ride together in a small pickup, and park it in the food lion lot. I don't give them the time of day. They're all capable of working. They all have pretty decent clothes for beggars as well. Preying on people's sympathy/guilt is messed up in my book.

IMO, fake beggars are obtaining property by false pretenses or possibly in some cases, larceny by trick. I don't know how the police can sit there and know it happens and not do anything. Probably because they have bigger fish to fry than to fill the cells with fake panhandlers.

Last year I went to New Mexico for a friends wedding in Santa Fe. I have heard that NM has the nations largest heroin problem. I rode the bus around town while my friend with the car was out doing other stuff. I encountered the most polite homeless folks, many were heroin users. They wanted your story, your opinion of the city, and just to chat. In the Beginning I was pretty hesitant to talk to them, but they never actually ask for anything. They were obviously homeless, and were surrounded by other homeless folk, but it seemed like people hooked them up with food and a little cash without being asked. Many of them were native Americans. Then I saw the damnedest thing, a mountain of debris and black plastic bags at the intersection where you would normally see someone begging. In front of the bags was a sign that read " Homeless but still helpful. Picking up trash. Donations appreciated." The dude was probably a hundred yards away cleaning up the road sides. it was refreshing and a bit humbling to meet people who were struggling, but hadn't devalued themselves. Now what I see going on on just about every exit ramp in NC is infuriating. I understand why they do it, and can't blame them, especially when so many people enable them, but they all seem so full of deceit and very pushy. If you are homeless and have a dog, I'll feed the dog everytime.

On principle. Never do it. Wait until i feel something in the heart and then will do food. Ive seen a few rejections and one over the top grateful appreciation.

The real sad cases I dont find begging but walking shine/rain/snow around town looking for change in the gutters, etc.

Also. Anyone ever holding a veteran sign. its a lie. run them over. all veterans get free housing if they are or are about to be homeless.

Anyone who truthfully is a "veteran" and is on the street begging (barring ignorance of the above) its because they are a felon. <-- a very safe blanket statement

Last edited:
I seen a special on this awhile back, some of these beggers are knocking out 2 to 5k a week!

There is a group down at a large intersection where I live that all show up and rotate shifts. They park in the Sheets parking lot and hang out all day. One of them was confronted for something a while back and he stabbed the guy. He got off because it was self defense. He didn't start it. It was the dumb a$$ talking crap that went to jailo_O I don't give money to anyone. Mainly because I don't trust that they are really on hard times.

The wife used to work down in south park, there were always beggers at the corners on her way in. Probably a nice place to beg and get more cash than some people's salaries. She even got to the point of buying groceries and packing 3-4 lunches a day for these people. This went on for a few months, until they started making requests...like what kind of chips they wanted, what kind of snack cakes and what kind of sandwiches they wanted. She stopped bring them food rather quickly. Now we just donate to the local women's shelter, soup kitchen and homeless shelter.

I've offered begger a 100 bucks and breakfast and lunch to help me for the day. Not once have they taken it. To lazy to work to lazy to steal go beg. There are alot around Asheville now and all of them seem in good shape in decent clothes and are in the 20s-30s I really think some are college grads that want to stay in Asheville but can't find or want to work

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I like Daniel Tosh's perspective on this scenario as well, since the trend is 'broken in clothes'...give brand new clothes to homeless people until they're broken in just enough. Keeps production costs down, keeps the homeless clothed, but still retains the socioeconomic stratification since homeless people won't be in style.

There is a group of "homeless" people doing the same thing in Lexington on the Childress Vineyards exit. They hang out up the hill from the exit and go down to the stop sign at the bottom of the exit in shifts. There is about 5 different ones that I have been able to count, but they have been doing it now for over a year. I have a hard time believing that they are truly homeless since they are always in different clothes and like I said, its just a rotation of the same 5 people. It seems like they go there each morning and just work the area like a 9-5 job and then go home. Its sad because people like this make people skeptical about people truly in need.

"Never loan money to a friend"

Why? Just causes problems. You only give money you never intend to get back. If you're not willing to give that friend money without ANY expectation of return, or concern where they USE that money, then don't even give them money...just say no

Same with beggars.

If you can't freely give without ANY expectation of a return or concern HOW they use that money, do not give a dime.

My wife? Bleeding heart softy that has to give at every opportunity regardless of what they look like. Of course she has NO street smarts, and can't even discern the difference in a compliment and someone hitting on her, so there's that. When she's with me and asks if I have any money I say "Yup, but they're damn sure not getting any of it"

Is that wrong? Well...yeah if you believe Matthew 25:40 it IS. So...I struggle. And my wife (my conscience) reminds me of that. But at the same time I'm too logical...with too much street smarts, and have the mindset of an FBI profiler (I "know" people....it's a gift and a curse) so I can spot the fake in a heartbeat. So this is a constant struggle for me

I've only given money to one beggar. I was parked in a lot out by the street waiting to meet a friend, this dude walks up to my truck from the sidewalk. He fished around in his pocket pulled out a crumpled dollar and some change and said "Man I ain't gonna lie, I just want a few bucks so I can go buy a beer." I gave him $3 I had loose in my wallet. He walked across the street to the gas station, when he walked out he had a bottle in a paper sack, he raised it up and nodded in thanks I guess and wondered back down the sidewalk. I'd seen him around before, always dirty and torn clothes, pretty sure he's homeless. He got some money simply because he didn't try to bullshit me.

I've offered begger a 100 bucks and breakfast and lunch to help me for the day. Not once have they taken it. To lazy to work to lazy to steal go beg. There are alot around Asheville now and all of them seem in good shape in decent clothes and are in the 20s-30s I really think some are college grads that want to stay in Asheville but can't find or want to work

Against my better judgement, I offered $10/hr cash to someone begging for work on the side of the road. He advertised that he knew construction. We set it up. He never showed. Never called. Nothing.

I try to help but it's always been met with dissapointment. So I tend to not help at all anymore.

I never give out money to the beggers, but will admit to feeling a bit bad about it on occassion. I'm not poor, so I can afford to give them a few dollars but I worry they are just lazy scammers like many have mentioned in this thread. I rarely see people give the beggers money so I don't understand how they make much money standing there. I guess if the typical stop light cycle is 2 minutes, then they would get a new group of people to beg to 30 times every hour. If they just got $1 every other light cycle, that would be $15/hr tax free. There is a group of them that stand on the corner of 68 just south of I-40 near my work.

I never give out money to the beggers, but will admit to feeling a bit bad about it on occassion. I'm not poor, so I can afford to give them a few dollars but I worry they are just lazy scammers like many have mentioned in this thread. I rarely see people give the beggers money so I don't understand how they make much money standing there. I guess if the typical stop light cycle is 2 minutes, then they would get a new group of people to beg to 30 times every hour. If they just got $1 every other light cycle, that would be $15/hr tax free. There is a group of them that stand on the corner of 68 just south of I-40 near my work.
Taking your math figure they stand there 8 hours 5 days a week they are clearing over 30,000

there are a handful of professional beggars here on airport rd in arden. on a friday afternoon have seen 6 between the road to our shop and the interstate which is about a mile. they camp in pairs sometimes at the lowes shopping center exit. it's a long light so they walk up and down the rows pestering folks. don't ask me for a dime buddy, i'm broke, i own a jeep. lol.

I travel ALOT and I encounter this quite a bit,it drives Tonya crazy.She works a public job so she gets to hear how people are playin the system and is suspicious of EVERYBODY.My way of dealin w them is this.If your gonna ask me for money for food,Im gonna offer to get you something to eat.If they say I need money for gas I'm gonna tell you to pull up to the pump. If a person is genuinely hungry I'm not gonna deny them a meal.I realize I have probably fed and gassed up some that didn't need it,but you never know.If they just want cash I go on my way.

Back