Best Burger

The Oak & Dagger burger at the brew pub of the same name here in Raleigh... Best damn burger in town. Med. rare, fresh ground, with a slice of fried Gouda, bacon jam, and I don't remember what else.

Still haven't gone there. I need to go since you rave about the burger.

Mojo's is normally my go to.

Bad Daddy's is pretty damn good too.

Mojo's is good, Bad Daddy's is fine (I think my favorite was called the All American Burger), Five Guys has been our go-to for 20 fucking years, but that Oak & Dagger burger.... shit.....

Mojo's and Bad Daddy's serve a decent burger, for sure. I think Holly and I are the only ones in Raleigh who found Oak & Dagger's burger to be underwhelming. For me, Player's Retreat has the best in town...

Had my bachelor party in Nashville this past weekend. Ate at “Burger up”
It was awesome. Had the sharp cheddar pimento and bacon burger cooked rare with LTO on it.
They had home made seasoned ketchup there for the fries....

B24FDA73-CF26-4AAE-92C8-FAE20664B2AF.jpeg
997C8389-D204-4DC4-9C7C-85E456D759D2.jpeg

Kingzilla from King Kitchen is huge and surprisingly good.
They empty out the fridge on it ...... IT HAS A SLICE OF COUNTRY HAM ON IT!!!!!!

But strictly speaking of a burger place .... Bad Daddy's and the Bad A** Burger rocks.

Matt

Pig Burger at Old Town Drought House.
Pulled pork
Bacon
Ham
Beef patty
Spicy 1205 sauce
Pickles
Cheese
And the beer and sea salt chips weren’t bad either.
1619161B-BE3B-4C7F-8FB5-91CE510452DF.jpeg

Attachments

• 310F2620-DFDF-4D47-AC3B-8C97B4978AE5.jpeg
    310F2620-DFDF-4D47-AC3B-8C97B4978AE5.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 475
w640-s_d1fa68a2dd4934fea68db4a6a3ac57de.jpg

Back in my fatass days before Uncle Sam made me one of his Misguided Children...I tried to eat this one. Big Ed's in Oklahoma. Yeeaaahh...I didn't even get through a quarter of it. Eat it all in 45 minutes or less, and it's free!

Had a work lunch at Burger batch in high point

Pork belly
Grilled onions
Pork skin
Cheddar cheese sauce

8820802C-308C-416A-90A7-C95D64CF3BC5.jpeg

Mac n’ cheese
Bacon
Other goodness

E90B12D6-6CA3-4912-8013-0612790EA848.jpeg
253D3409-DDD1-4BF1-88A4-6C840F115855.jpeg

That Bacon and Mac and Cheese Burger looks amazing. Must replicate!
They took some of the best Mac I’d ever tried and put bacon on it and a burger under it..

whats the best burger fat ratio when cooking your own?

This will start a raging debate.
But i like a good debate.
I prefer 80/20 grass fed beef.
Anything leaner makes for a dried out burger in my opinion.

85/15 is my preferred. 80/20 shrinks a little too much, but is still pretty good also. Anything leaner is too dry. Anything fatter starts a grill fire and shrinks away to nothing.

MIL made some burgers this afternoon and gave me some 80/20 they had left over when I picked up my little girl from their house. Would’ve made two sad little burgers, but I was saved when my wife said she wanted waffles for dinner instead. :D

Patted it pretty thin and it shrunk up to just the right size. I’m with @jeepinmatt, 85/15 is ideal.

Hops burger bar
Onion rings, dill pickles, pulled pork, bbq sauce, medium rare.
45F0294F-281D-4334-9031-3B1EEFDC5ECE.jpeg

Megalodon burger at Sea Witch in Carolina Beach yesterday.
Two half pound patties, beef brisket slice, pulled pork, burnt ends, cheddar, onion ring, bbq sauce, Texas toast.

Had to eat one patty separate, but I finished everything.

7337602B-9FE7-42E6-8E6C-7067678159DD.jpeg

Char Grill is my classic favorite.

My current "best burger I've ever had" is from a local place here in Wake Forest called Shuckers.
It's a seafood place, but a fancy one and they also have steaks and burgers. They grind their own meat.
They have a burger called the Deep South burger. Has bacon and their own pimento cheese on it.
It's absolutely out of this world.

Ya'll ever had a Hickory smoked hamburger?
If you have any live Shagbark Hickory trees around, peel off all the bark you you can reach and bring it home. Snap/break it into small pieces maybe 2", w a hammer or pliers about 4/6 cups and soak it in water overnight . Dump the chips out of the water and let them dry an hour or so. Make lots of burgers (80/20) about 1/4 lb and refridgerate till you're about ready to smoke them, then remove the grate from a charcoal grill w a lid and cover it w all the burgers that will fit on it w a lil space between them. A Weber kettle is perfect but any charcoal grill w a lid and vents/removable grates will do. Build a hot bed of coals across the entire bottom of the grill, 3 or 4"s deep. When it's ready scoop up the drained bark w both hands, as much as you can hold w cupped hands, and drop them in a pile in the center of the coals and put the lid on w all vents wide open. Let it sit for a few/5 minutes until the smoke is thick and spewing out of the vents like a house on fire. Carefully remove the lid( the smoke is hot and steamy} put the pre loaded grate over the coals and cover the grill, all vents open. After 3 to 5 mins. lift the lid and turn the burgers quickly, helps to have 2 or more peeps flipping them, be careful of flareups. Put the lid back on for 3/5 mins and done, yank the grate off and set it down or dump the burgers on a platter etc. This method is great for feeding a crowd as you can load up the grate again and do at least 2 or 3 or more batches, scattering more bark on the coals if the smoke wanes . This makes a great/juicy burger w a very different taste and a bright red smoke ring that some folks mistake for raw meat. Good w a slice of onion,cheese and mustard or anything else you like on a hamburger.

Last edited:
Back