Best diesel tow rig

Bruiser95

I'm looking to get a diesel truck to haul my off road rig. Not sure whether to look for a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. It will also be my daily driver. Something used but not very old. What's everyone's opinion? Best fuel mileage, towing, ect.

I've seen this several places, but you want a Dodge engine (Cummins) with a Chevy trans (Allison), in a Ford cab :D.

This is like asking what's the best tires....

My first instinct is to claim not enough info; do you want 2wd/4wd, auto/manual, what cab/bed configuration, what type of trailer do you have?

But then the sensible side of me wins over.....

Speaking as a diesel tech, working in a Ford/Chrysler dual dealership setting, stay away from emissions controlled trucks unless you plan on buying a truck with a warranty. The newest ford trucks are pretty much impossible to delete. Even the 6.4 trucks require a tune of some sort to run deleted, and I've been chasing the results of running a "delete" tune for 6 months on one daily driver.

Don't get me wrong, the Ford 6.7 and international 6.4 have crap-tons (technical jargon I'm sorry) of power, the emissions systems are costly to replace. It was quoted at 3,500-5,000 to return the one problem truck back to stock. A 6.7 requires total fuel system replacement (except for the tank) if the tank is contaminated with water, gas, or DEF. That is also in the $5,000 range.

The dodge trucks have a Cummins, but I'd stay pre 2010 and even then the rest of the truck just seems to lack in overall quality, comfort, and durability. The best shot for dodge would be a pre 2002 truck, best money on a 12 valve with a manual (the autos are junk) but expect to pay through every orifice of your body to achieve that.

I'd try to find a Super Duty from 99-07. The 7.3 is just a good engine with a great track record. True their autos kinda blow, but they can be beefed up no problem. True some people complain about later 7.3's having weak, but these are also the same people looking to but huge injectors, turbos, and drum sized exhaust on them.

A used 05-07 6.0 equipped truck is about as good as it's gonna get for all around. They are cheaper than 7.3 trucks, can be easily deleted/bullet proofed, which most of them probably already have been. They also have a great transmission behind them. Very durable and the added tow/haul mode is a plus. Lots of aftermarket support, also helps.

The only good thing I can say about gm diesel trucks is the allison transmission in it which is arguably the best heavy-duty transmission ever put in a pick-up. IFS 4wd kinda detracts from that a little, and I'm not much on gm interiors.

With all this said, I myself have a down payment on a 2002 7.3 4x4 excursion. It has the "bad" rods and not so great trans, but isn't gonna mod it much at all, and I am Ford certified in transmissions, so that isn't too big a deal. Plus for the price and the fact that it fits all of my requirements and most of my wants, it was a no-brainer.

Having driven quite a few Dodge/Cummins, owned a Chevy/Duramax, and currently driving a Ford/Powerstroke, my next truck will either be an 06-07 Duramax or a 2013-newer Ford, but I really want a manual, so it may be a Cummins anyway :driver:since thats the only manual option for 2011 and newer...

All of the 07-earlier Cummins are way overpriced (Duramax is getting that way too), and auto tranny options were not very good.
I don't know enough about the 07.5-newer Cummins to comment. The crewcabs were too small in the pre-2011 trucks, and I don't like the styling and 5.5ft bed of the Megacabs

All of the 7.3 Fords are even more overpriced than the Cummins
The 6.0 Fords can be found at a decent deal, but be prepared to spend a couple grand getting it bulletproofed, or a pay a premium for one that has already had it done (and can you trust that its actually been done?), the 05-newer trucks are coil spring front and supposedly ride a little better
The 6.4 Fords get TERRIBLE fuel mileage (ask me how I know...even deleted and tuned it's still terrible), ride quality with coil spring front is still much worse than a Duramax, reliability must be good though, as mine has 322k miles on it and still runs like a champ.
The 6.7 Fords had issues in the 2011/2012 model years that were later resolved ($$$$ radiator replacement was very common)

01-04 LB7 Duramax is known for injector issues, but otherwise are a very good truck that beats the Ford and Dodge of the same generation in ride/driveability/mod-ability. The Duramax has also proven itself as a VERY good motor other than some known issues. I had a 2003 with 335k miles on it and the interior was worn slap out, but mechanically the truck was fantastic.
Late 04-05 LLY Duramax has a few small issues but is also a very reliable motor.
06-07 LBZ Duramax is the one to have in my opinion. Most power of the early gen Duramax's, no emissions systems, and the Allison trans has 6 speeds instead of the earlier 5 speeds, so you get a little better fuel mileage.
08-newer LMM/LML Duramax's are very solid trucks that provide better performance than the numbers indicate, but I don't like the body style, so I've never done much research on them.

Theres also the new Nissan Titan XD depending on your needs and price range.

If fuel mileage is a concern, get a 2wd 03-04.5 Cummins with a manual. Those guys get 35 internetmpg, which is approximately 25-27 real world mpg.
My 03 Duramax averaged about 18mpg with stock tires and 17mpg with larger tires. My 08 Ford averages about 13.5 with stock tires, and 13 with larger tires. Typically a good source for mpg info is www.fuelly.com, but you will find that all of the trucks get 12-15mpg, and there's no way to differentiate between an empty and loaded truck, so the data is a bit skewed.

After owning a Chevy 2500HD CCSB and a Ford F250 CCSB, there are things I like about both. The Chevy rides, drives, and maneuvers so much better than the Ford. Its also almost 1000lbs lighter. My Ford is ~8300lbs. The interior quality of the Chevy sucks. The Ford crewcab is the perfect size. Little known fact, the Ford bed is 2" wider and 2" longer than the Chevy and Dodge. All of the drivetrains are very good these days. But the Duramax/Allison combo is a great example of taking a good thing and refining it to a degree that makes it tremendously better than its competitors. The 5R110W in my Ford is stronger than the Allison 1000 in the Chevy's, but the 5R110W feels slow and clunky, doesn't lock up soon enough, and just doesn't work with the engine as well as the Duramax/Allison combo. The newer Fords with the 6 speed auto are supposed to be a lot better, but I have no experience with them.

If you want a manual trans, your options are a 2007 earlier Duramax, and it will be almost impossible to find, or a 2010 earlier Ford (pretty rare in the 03-07 models, and almost non-existent in the 08-10's), or any year Cummins.

My first instinct is to claim not enough info; do you want 2wd/4wd, auto/manual, what cab/bed configuration, what type of trailer do you have?

But then the sensible side of me wins over.....

Speaking as a diesel tech, working in a Ford/Chrysler dual dealership setting, stay away from emissions controlled trucks unless you plan on buying a truck with a warranty. The newest ford trucks are pretty much impossible to delete. Even the 6.4 trucks require a tune of some sort to run deleted, and I've been chasing the results of running a "delete" tune for 6 months on one daily driver.

Don't get me wrong, the Ford 6.7 and international 6.4 have crap-tons (technical jargon I'm sorry) of power, the emissions systems are costly to replace. It was quoted at 3,500-5,000 to return the one problem truck back to stock. A 6.7 requires total fuel system replacement (except for the tank) if the tank is contaminated with water, gas, or DEF. That is also in the $5,000 range.

The dodge trucks have a Cummins, but I'd stay pre 2010 and even then the rest of the truck just seems to lack in overall quality, comfort, and durability. The best shot for dodge would be a pre 2002 truck, best money on a 12 valve with a manual (the autos are junk) but expect to pay through every orifice of your body to achieve that.

I'd try to find a Super Duty from 99-07. The 7.3 is just a good engine with a great track record. True their autos kinda blow, but they can be beefed up no problem. True some people complain about later 7.3's having weak, but these are also the same people looking to but huge injectors, turbos, and drum sized exhaust on them.

A used 05-07 6.0 equipped truck is about as good as it's gonna get for all around. They are cheaper than 7.3 trucks, can be easily deleted/bullet proofed, which most of them probably already have been. They also have a great transmission behind them. Very durable and the added tow/haul mode is a plus. Lots of aftermarket support, also helps.

The only good thing I can say about gm diesel trucks is the allison transmission in it which is arguably the best heavy-duty transmission ever put in a pick-up. IFS 4wd kinda detracts from that a little, and I'm not much on gm interiors.

With all this said, I myself have a down payment on a 2002 7.3 4x4 excursion. It has the "bad" rods and not so great trans, but isn't gonna mod it much at all, and I am Ford certified in transmissions, so that isn't too big a deal. Plus for the price and the fact that it fits all of my requirements and most of my wants, it was a no-brainer.
I agree completely! You forgot to mention the 6.4's are pros at catastrophic failures! 6.0 is probably the best all around truck for the money. If it ever genuinely dies, drop a 5.9l in its place.
I really really do not care for duramax engines. The truck is great, but working on a duramax isn't on my list of fun things to do!

Thanks for the info. I have to say I am totally ignorant when it comes to diesels. What do you mean by "delete"? I am going to test drive a 2012 Ford F-350 with around 77K miles. It is a 6 speed automatic transmission crew cab, 6.7 V8, 3.31 electronic locking axle. Ford trucks is all I have driven, but I've never owned a diesel. Thoughts on this particular truck?

Thanks for the info. I have to say I am totally ignorant when it comes to diesels. What do you mean by "delete"? I am going to test drive a 2012 Ford F-350 with around 77K miles. It is a 6 speed automatic transmission crew cab, 6.7 V8, 3.31 electronic locking axle. Ford trucks is all I have driven, but I've never owned a diesel. Thoughts on this particular truck?

I have the 6.7 diesel in my F350. Great power and is a nice truck. DEF sucks but it's common on the new diesels so just learn to accept it.

You can get a delete kit for the DEF and DPF. I have 205k miles on mine with minor issues.

How much weight are you going to be towing?

How often are going to towing said weight?

Maybe a couple times a month. Not exactly sure on the weight. I would be hauling a trailer with 95 YJ with 350, Dana 60 & 70, 465 transmission with 205 twin stick.

7k lbs isn't extremely heavy, so you might not need a diesel. There are a couple of guys on here who tow with a Toyota Tundra. Just throwing it out there.

Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas motor. Half the price of the diesel and plenty powerful and reliable with half the maintenance cost.

For your stated needs dont buy a diesel.
Unless you just want one, then its your money.

Im not getting into a brand debate. Lots of pros and cons to each imho.

Here are some facts though regardless of brand.

Maintenance is 2x-3x on a diesel. An oil change will run you $60-$100 (depending on if you use dino or synthetic. and the motor you have should dictate that answer) if you do it yourself $150 is you pay a shop.

When its time for batteries you need 2 bigger batteries than a gas truck. Double the cost there.

Brakes? Yep you guessed it bigger and more $$$.

Diesel is still more expensive and no the increased mpg wont save you money.

All that said. I got out of a diesel and into a '15 tundra. It has plenty of power for what you want to tow. The suspension isnt as nice and the lower vehicle weight is noticeable when stopping. But Ive towed a TJ and a 1st Gen K5 at the same time with it and it had plenty of power. And fill ups at the pump cost $30 instead of $100.

If you had a 5er camper or toterhome then yep you need a diesel, but towing a single vehicle on an open trailer...no need.

BTW a new Tacoma or Colorado has a higher tow rating than an early 90s Chevy 3500....

Here are some facts though regardless of brand.

Maintenance is 2x-3x on a diesel. An oil change will run you $60-$100 (depending on if you use dino or synthetic. and the motor you have should dictate that answer) if you do it yourself $150 is you pay a shop.

Where are you buying oil??? I can buy a 5 gallon pail and two Fleetguard filters for less than $100. That's 15k miles worth of oil changes.

When its time for batteries you need 2 bigger batteries than a gas truck. Double the cost there.

Brakes? Yep you guessed it bigger and more $$$.

Brakes are the same for gas or diesel on the same chassis.

Diesel is still more expensive and no the increased mpg wont save you money.

True.

Where are you buying oil??? I can buy a 5 gallon pail and two Fleetguard filters for less than $100. That's 15k miles worth of oil changes.

Shawn I said $60-$100.
You are claiming you can do 2 oil changes for "less than $100" so ...$49-$100

Better?

Give me a 6.4 with a 48RE in front of a GM transfer case. Go ahead and put those under a Ford cab that has been removed multiple times. Inside that cab install Dodge HVAC and seats.
:D

Or do what @thebrotherinlaw does and rent a dually Dodge from Enterprize prior to each out of town trip.

Give me a 6.4 with a 48RE in front of a GM transfer case. Go ahead and put those under a Ford cab that has been removed multiple times. Inside that cab install Dodge HVAC and seats.
:D

You just created the time bomb

BTW a new Tacoma or Colorado has a higher tow rating than an early 90s Chevy 3500....

My Colorado is rated to tow 7k. Not that I'd do that, but that's what it's rated. The diesel is rated 7500 I think. I'll stick to towing bass boats and non-porker vehicles. Just need to buy that bass boat..

Back