Best diesel tow rig

To the OP, buy what you want, it's your money. Drive them all, buy what you like, then research what you need to do to make said truck as best as possible.

For my money, I went with a gasser. I would love to have a diesel just to have a diesel but the prices are outrageous because every flat biller wants one right now for some reason (maybe to roll coal and drag the ass end on the ground, I don't know). I have a dodge gasser, interior sucks, motor is good and strong, I deal with it.

If you have the coin for a diesel DD, maybe you could get a cheaper gas tow pig AND a good MPG DD car...

I believe everyone has great points on different trucks. I personally don't own a diesel but I've had all kinds of different work trucks I've driven them all 6.0 to 7.3 Cummins bla bla bla
But my last work truck I had for a year was a 14 Chevy 2500 6.0 gasser. I averaged 17-18 highway with my 75 gallon fuel cell full but I pulled a 22 foot Kaufman trailer all the time and there was more than one occasion I had that truck maxed out and it pulled well and stopped well. It's wasn't my choose or liking but I pulled I know every bit of 18,000 pounds coming back from Maryland rode like a dream and got around 14 MPGs.I believe for the money that would be the truck I'd get. I also pulled my Cherokee with it to uwharrie and it pulled it like it wasn't there just my 2 cents

I just bought a 02 gmc 2500 gas for $4k as a daily driver for my fiance cause she likes it. She will never max it out so it will last almost forever pulling 6-7k it gets 14 mpg and is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. But it comes down to what you like most id reccomend a gas 2500 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many of you guys getting good mileage with the gasser's have hand calc'd your actual mileage over several tanks?

How many of you guys getting good mileage with the gasser's have hand calc'd your actual mileage over several tanks?

I had a 6.0 in a Yukon XL Denali, and I would have loved to get 14mpgs, in town hand calc'd, I got 11

I was thinking the same thing. I am all for a gasser tow rig but I'm not holding my breath for 14+mpg. Maybe empty, downhill with a tailwind.

Well I drive a 14 f250 gas I'll be trading it for a 450 6.7 next week. But this is from this morning on the way to work it has the big 6.2 in it. But I still think my 6.0 got better fuel mileage.
image.jpeg

Well I drive a 14 f250 gas I'll be trading it for a 450 6.7 next week. But this is from this morning on the way to work it has the big 6.2 in it. But I still think my 6.0 got better fuel mileage.View attachment 216966

Have you ever read the owner's manual on that gauge?

Last time I did it went like this:
Obtain a constant speed on the interstate. Hit the reset button. Drive for exactly 1 mile. The fuel consumption shown at the end of that mile will be the average for the time driven. Any variations in speed will render an unreliable result.

That was from a Ford. All of them have similar verbage.

Have you ever read the owner's manual on that gauge?

Last time I did it went like this:
Obtain a constant speed on the interstate. Hit the reset button. Drive for exactly 1 mile. The fuel consumption shown at the end of that mile will be the average for the time driven. Any variations in speed will render an unreliable result.

That was from a Ford. All of them have similar verbage.
The EVIC in my "Cummings" says I averaged 18.2 over the past tank.

I'm pretty sure if you look in the owners manual for further info it's just a picture of an ASCII middle finger.

The EVIC in my "Cummings" says I averaged 18.2 over the past tank.

I'm pretty sure if you look in the owners manual for further info it's just a picture of an ASCII middle finger.

unpossible.

Every cummings gets over 20 mpg. Unless its turnt up...then 19.5

My 06 3500 2wd dually 5.9 averages 26.5 mpgs. Unless of course you hand calc then it gets 17.5mpg

@Tater gets VERY consistent MPGs in his '02 2500HD (8.1L/Allison)...

8.75MPG towing my Jeep (4200#) & 5-ton Hudson (2500#)
7.75MPG towing my Jeep (4200#) & his enclosed (4500#)

Yes sir I reset it. Before I took that pic. My jeeps the same way.

At the end of this year or beginning of next, I will be looking to get either a Duramax or 2500 with a 6.0, would consider an 8.1 setup.
Id love to hear from others towing with the gas motors. My rig+trailer would be 6500# maybe 9k Max at times.
I think a 6.0 would be fine, but a nice, clean, crew cab 6.0 with semi low miles isn't too far off from an older Duramax price wise. Unless I get a wore out work truck.

I tow a one ton xj with an 09 F150 5.4 auto. The trailer loaded this summer going to Harlan was 6440. I get about 8 - 9 mpg going up and 9 - 10 mpg coming back. I'd say towing I average about 8-9 mpg. Diesel here is now the same price and I have seen it cheaper then gas recently. I'd love a Diesel for towing but I only do it every so often so cannot justify the added expense. I recently looked at the new Nissan XD, had a guy stop by the shop while I was working on the xj, and I liked it. It will be interesting to see the long term on that truck. Personally I woudl liek to get a half ton diesel but that isn't really an option. I dd A TDi Jetta and love it with 40 mpg around town. There is a lot of good info in here. I'd seriously consider what these guys are suggesting about the half ton. I've been doing it for 14 years. Used an 02 F150 with the 5.4 first and now my current 09 F150. I love the look ride and durability of my Fords I have owned. Like they all have said each have there own issues and get what you want.

Yeah I haven't ruled out a half ton Chevy crew cab with a 5.3
I know they are plenty capable as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a dodge trans slip as it drives away pulling it's ghost trailer with it's mirrors flipped out :flipoff2:

The best tow rig is the one you own. I mean...no one is gonna bag on their own junk. Diesel or Gas, as everyone has already said....matters not. Just what YOU want and find the best deal on. I got a killer deal on what I own...otherwise I would have likely drank the coolaid and held out for a F450 4x4 with a Cummins and Allison to land in my lap miraculously :shaking:

Unless you're trying to use a Colorado or Dakota or older V6 F150/1500 you should be good. Gassers are just fine!

Yeah I haven't ruled out a half ton Chevy crew cab with a 5.3
I know they are plenty capable as well.

@ncsutj blew by us in his 5.3 like we were school busses pulling HIS Jeep back from Windrock :D

Of course Jason has no problems in his 6.0 but the biggest shocker was @rodney eppes and that 6.2 :eek:

He passed us TWICE going uphill like we were sitting still!

I've posted this elsewhere before, but will again. Back in 12' me and a buddy went to gulches, I was towing with an 06 Hemi, him with an 05 1500/5.3. He blew by me several times.
I've used the same Hemi to go to Harlan with zero problems, although I probably really needed an external trans cooler. Half tons are a lot more capable than they used to be.

Back