Best diesel tow rig

Yeah I haven't ruled out a half ton Chevy crew cab with a 5.3
I know they are plenty capable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2006 5.3 crew cab. It pulls fine. I got 9 going to the flats last time, and 9.5 on the way back. I also drive like 75 most of the time (I did put a big cooler up front for it also). It pulls fine, it just likes to stay in 3rd gear and then has fine power. I still may consider going to a diesel as I am lazy as shit and thinking about getting a 2 gooseneck so I don't have to do all the driving.

I have been very happy with my 6.0 2500, it honestly does a great job, and I was able to get a nearly new truck for a good price, I have 0 regrets and would buy another.

And like Troy said, the best towrig is simply having one to use.

I drove that piece of shit to work today.
But you did get to work....

I haven't towed with my new rig but as others have said. Get what you want and take care of it. If you really want a diesel just go ahead and buy one, if that doesn't matter then the Chevy 6.0 will probably win out. On a side note I'm surprised snappy hasn't chimed in about the V10 Fords.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

As a side note last night I filled up the TDi and diesel here was .10 a gallon less the gas. $1.85 cash $1.95 credit at this particular station. IDK why it's finally getting back to the way it use to be but sure glad it is.

As a side note last night I filled up the TDi and diesel here was .10 a gallon less the gas. $1.85 cash $1.95 credit at this particular station. IDK why it's finally getting back to the way it use to be but sure glad it is.

Which means the price of diesel trucks is gonna go up even more!

How many of you guys getting good mileage with the gasser's have hand calc'd your actual mileage over several tanks?
Only hand calc
My set up is
02 6.0 cold air intake hypertec on tow mode 285/75r16 4.10 gears and 2.5 true duals. I get 14-15 hwy and 12-13 city goosing it often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 04' Duramax and love it but look at a 1500HD. They are kinda rare but have the 6.0L and the bigger transmission, brakes and axles.

I've got a 99 Dodge 2500. Cummins/5-speed truck with about $10k in the engine. It's a great truck that I don't plan on getting rid of. That being said, my wife's 2013 F-150 Ecoboost is way nicer, quieter, rides way better, and has air-conditioned front seats. It doesn't pull my heavy trailer (3600lbs empty, around 7000 with the buggy) as well as the Dodge but it does it with no drama. They get within 1 mpg of each other empty. The Dodge beats it out mileage wise if the trailer is involved. If it wasn't for the fact that I do occasionally end up with heavier stuff on the trailer, I'd ditch the diesel and buy another gas truck.

Back