Best drive thru sandwich?

hunterdan

Arby's 1/2lb BEEF and CHEDDAR
Ingredients

Roast beef
Cheddar sauce
Red ranch dressing
Yellow Onion bun

Just took the kids through Arby's(their first time) and told them to try the beef and cheddar but they wanted Mc'd. I went for the 1/2lb beef and cheddar and took them to get their dbl chz burgers. My sandwich was at least 2" thick(the meat portion) and my son just sat there looking at it holding his excuse for a burger. I saw the confusion in his eyes and offered him to snatch a piece off the side of mine. He is now a convert and said he thought I had said they were shaved ckn and if he knew it was beef he would have gotten it. I told him to be a better listener as I devoured my sandwich. Funniest part was he said that little piece of mine was better than his whole burger. He also said he had never seen me so happy about a meal... I agree it may be the best drive thru sandwich of all.

If you disagree.... please explain.

Last edited:
Interesting. Arby's doesn't really come to mind when I need food on the road.

I will say that I stopped at McD's on the way home the other day, and that was a terrible fucking idea. That shit was like a lead brick in my stomach. I usually shoot for CFA or maybe Hardee's.

Arby's is easily in my top 3 fast food.

I'll skip the cheddar and just get the 1/2lb roast beef. Throw the bun out and enjoy.
If I HAVE to eat a FF burger Wendys or Hardees...since there aint a cookout close to me.

Cookout or Arbys if I have to choose the lesser of all evils. If I can find one, I am sucker for a Sonic (yes some locations have drivethru). I don't know why but it became a road trip tradition in college to stop at the Sonic in Wilkes or Lenoir when leaving or returning to the mountain from wheeling or parts runs.

X one mo gain for Arby's.

I have once, sometimes twice a week cravings for a French dip.

X one mo gain for Arby's.

I have once, sometimes twice a week cravings for a French dip.

While waiting I was flipping back and forth before the B&C or French dip. Then I remembered spilling the au'ju down my crotch once.

If I HAVE to eat a FF burger Wendys or Hardees...since there aint a cookout close to me.

Thanks, I forgot about these two. I know where to find a CookOut around Raleigh, but I don't ever see them along the interstate.

We can feed the entire family at CookOut for $14. True story.

Am i the only one that likes Zaxby's? i am pretty fond of their kickin chicken sandwich

I ate there once. Thought it was gross. I'm surprised when I see new ones under construction, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's a tossup for me. IMHO You just can't beat a Chick-fil-a sandwich. But...I seem to ONLY want one on sundays

For burgers I'm a sucker for 5 guys, but since it's drive-thru I have to say a cookout burger, cookout style, is better than what you can get most anywhere else. And to @shawn point, if you make it a tray, and get a chicken quesadilla and fries I can feed one daughter, and if my wife gets a corndog and fries we feed the other daughter (boys up at college) and we feed OUR family for about the same (+/-$12)

While waiting I was flipping back and forth before the B&C or French dip. Then I remembered spilling the au'ju down my crotch once.
I try to refrain from eating in my vehicles but if I have to it'll be while I'm parked. The au'ju is usually so hot I'll burn my tongue on it unless it cools down a few minutes.

Am i the only one that likes Zaxby's? i am pretty fond of their kickin chicken sandwich

When I was in college the 3rd or 4th Zaxbys ever was in town.
It was a cult classic. Great wings. Like 50 flavors. Served beer. Had amazing fried mushrooms.
Then they grew.

Now they are too slow and too expensive to be fast food not good enough to be sit down food. They are kinda stuck in the hell that say Shoney's exists in anytime except breakfast.

That said I eat Zaxbys probably 1x per week. You can get a grilled chicken breast for $2. in Sc or $2.50 in NC. Just a grilled chicken breast. Its marinated in worchestershire and tasty.
2 of those and an unsweet tea was actually lunch one day this week.

This trying to stop being a fatass thing sucks, but that meal doesnt.

I like zaxby's well enough. It's no more expensive than CFA is and I'd put the 2 on a similar platform. Granted, this is for the grilled chicken sandwich. No idea on the fried version. I'm not a fan of fast food but if in a pinch will stop there (as it is near the lake in Albemarle).

You won't catch me at a McD's, BK or similar unless it's to use the crapper.

Oh- one thing I do like is the Harris Teeter sub sandwich. They do the sub of the day and make it as you watch. It's not like the deli sandwiches I grew up with but is way better than subway.

Last edited:
I see quite a few cookout mentions and I have to agree. Cookout really taste like a 4th of July burger but better. They are also cheap with a family of four and are popular on our eat out list with taco bell and Tokyo express. That Tokyo express runs us about 12.00 because we get the kids entrées as they are nearly as big as the adult portions:)

Zaxby's is good but too pricey for fast food. I can go to elsewhere for just as good or better. Chick-fil-a is in the same boat. Cookout is great drunk, sober, or broke af and you're hungry. Hardee's has great burgers but you have to find a good location. Bojangles is pretty good too. McDs should only be used add a fall back or if funding is low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Zaxby's offers a 10-25% Veterans discount in the Asheville area. Not a fan of fast food but their salads are good. Wendy's spicy chicken for traveling sammich.

How long have you hated America?

I like America just fine. How long have you hated decent food? ;)

Some chicken covered in breading that tastes like nothing but flour, on a bun that's made of glue, with two slices of pickle, is not a good sandwich. Even when you put CFA sauce on it to cover up the fact that it's not a good sandwich.
It's just a chicken sandwich, why is it so hard to made it edible? Even more baffling, why do so many people think it's good?

Last edited:
Back