Best Tire plug kit

Drill press
Threader
machine allen to length

Problem solved :smokin:
Sounds like a Matt solution. I'm lazy I'd probably buy a new tire first.

I have the same kit and love it. I run the 14 ply "g" rated tires though and have to bring a drill and drill bit. No matter what brand I cannot get through the tire with the reamer. Great kit though.
This is really the problem I am chasing. A recent puncture in my 16ply trailer tire brought this need back to the forefront. Since I was at the shop, I just hawg'd it out with a battery drill, but that's not always a realistic option, and I don't want to carry a battery drill everywhere, haha. And of course that is why I carry a spare, so I just swapped the spare and got back home without issue, but sometimes 2 tires get killed, so I'd like to have a backup.

Typically, I can get the reamer through in some creative fashion, but even with a thousand reamer strokes, the plug will either not go, or will cut/tear and then the insertion tool goes in but the plug doesn't. In my mind, a "high quality" plug kit would have a good enough reamer to open up the hole enough to install the plug, and a stiff enough insertion tool (hehe) to ram it through the hole without bending, breaking, or cutting the plug. I think I'm gonna go the atomic route and order about 5-6 kits from Amazon, compare, and send back the ones that aren't up to snuff. But this will probably wait till the end of December, because I have trouble coming up with "affordable" Christmas gift ideas for family, and a $20-30 plug kit you can order on Amazon fits that bill pretty well.

I have a Matco kit that has held up great, but I had a a guy stop by my shop one day that sold plugs and patches to all the local tire shops. I ended up buying a new plug bit (i guess that's what you call it) from him and putting it in the Matco handle. It has been great. I don't know what brand it was but if you've got a buddy at a tire shop, get one through them. The one I bought is definitely made better than any others I've had.

That looks like the one that I've had for the past.... 20 or so years. Gifted from 44 Magnum Offroad. Bent the needle one time. I like that they are replaceable and come with a replacement. couldn't begin to guess how many tires I've plugged with this kit.
Had to bust it out again today. Kid ran over something that poked a nice clean hole.

BlackJack kit as well… had mine for over 10 years now. Replaceable Pcs. Pretty heavy duty comfortable handles. Have plugged numerous car tires, 14ply trailer tires , atvs and semi truck tires! Also includes some lube when you can’t seem to ream the hole out big enough….. never needed that tho 🤓🤦🏻‍♂️🫣

I just scored a Colby repair kit at the raffle. The reamer and plug installer are a huge step up from the standard grade Slime ones. Bonus, it comes with Colby valves.

Colby Valve Complete Emergency Tire Repair Kit with Plugs | Includes Emergency Valve Stem Replacement Kit, 15 Tire Plugs, 2 Spare Schrader Valve Cores, Repair Accessories and Case Amazon.com

Ended up getting the Blackjack KT-335 and ARB tire plug kits for Christmas instead of socks, so I’m pretty happy about that. Both are great quality, way better than any of the parts store cheapies I’ve used before. Neither case is small, but the ARB one is notably larger, which could be a problem if storage space is limited.
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1717.jpeg

The contents are generally the same
IMG_1718.jpeg
IMG_1719.jpeg

The ARB kit has a few things the Blackjack one does not. It comes with an air gauge that goes up to 120psi, needle nose pliers, and a nice little box with extra valve stems, valve cores, caps, etc.
IMG_1730.jpeg

The Blackjack kit comes with a nice screwdriver style valve core tool, Phillips, and torx bits for changing out the attachments. Most importantly, it comes with a spare insertion tip, whereas the ARB does not.
IMG_1734.jpeg

The ARB kit only has one size of plug, Blackjack has a small and large version. The large Blackjack is the same as the ARB, but the Blackjack plus are way longer. I don’t see any advantage to that, unless you get 50 nails in your tires and want to cut the plugs in half, haha.
IMG_1720.jpeg
IMG_1721.jpeg

Both reamers are stouter and larger than the normal kits. The Blackjack has a much better design because it is tapered, and has a higher helix angle which puts the cutting edge perpendicular to the cords of the tire, so it should cut better. But the ARB has a larger diameter, so it will leave a bigger hole in the end, which can be critical on heavy load range tires. Which works best will have to wait until I get an actual puncture. I do not like the lack of lead in cutting edges on the ARB unit, as it looks like it will be difficult to insert on your run of the mill screw or nail puncture since it’s about 10x the cross section volume.
IMG_1722.jpeg
IMG_1723.jpeg

The handle on the Blackjack feels really solid and really good in hand. The ARB is much better than a cheapo too, but the slick pot metal vs the larger flat faced rubberized grips is no comparison. If I were gonna hit one with a hammer, it would be the ARB, but for pushing in a reamer or plug, Blackjack wins hands down.
IMG_1724.jpeg
IMG_1726.jpeg

The insertion tools are pretty much identical. Shank diameter is the same. Finishing is comparable. Both are rounded at the back of the eye so they don’t cut a plug. Blackjack wins this because of the better handle, the extra tip, and most importantly the tip doesn’t stick out as much, so you’re less likely to bend it. I do like the extractor on the ARB, but if the plug is all the way in, the extractor is not needed anyway.
IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1729.jpeg

Overall, both are great kits and you can’t go wrong. The Blackjack was $41, and the ARB was $48. The ARB comes with some extra accessories that are probably worth the difference to some people. For me, I don’t need pliers/gauge/etc because I already have these things in my vehicle. The ARB comes with 50 plugs vs the Blackjack’s 35, but that is irrelevant because I (hopefully) wont use anywhere near that many before they are old and dried up. Given that the Blackjack is cheaper, has better handles and reamer, and comes in a more compact case, I’d give it the nod, but again, you can’t go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
I have the same kit and love it. I run the 14 ply "g" rated tires though and have to bring a drill and drill bit. No matter what brand I cannot get through the tire with the reamer. Great kit though.

This is what I was fixing to say.
Work trailers get all the plugs unfortunately. Load gs on both of them. AlWAYS have to drill the damn things. I honestly have never been able to get a load g plugged without drilling. I keep a drillbit in the case and generally have a drill somewhere in the truck or work van.

I have been using an arb for many years now and finally bent the insertion tool the other day. But overall it has been a damn solid kit.

That blackjack kit looks pretty nice.

Dad calls me up yesterday evening and says he has a leaking tire.
Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF

This Blackjack kit was an absolute pleasure to use. It was a VERY small hole, like finishing nail size. But the narrow tip, tapered body, and high helix angle allowed me to thread it right in.
IMG_1747.jpeg

Inserting the plug was honestly the easiest one I have ever done. I’ve never had lube for it before, so I’m sure that helped. But I went to push it in like normal, expecting a bit of a fight, and instead it just popped right in, and the tool slid right out. (Y’all have fun with that, you’re welcome)

Overall I’m super impressed, though I still want to see how it does on the load range G truck and trailer tires.

Back