Big John: 1972 C30 2WD dually w/ 11' dump bed

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Luckily Rams horns arent that expensive these days
True! I'm probably going to replace both, but I remember grandpa saying something about the passenger side manifold being hard to find one to clear the starter...looks like the typical log style manifold to me. I might end up going with some block hugger headers & re-doing the exhaust header pipes?

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Out of fear of stuck/broken bolts, I picked up JB weld's extreme heat and exhaust wrap and tried a band-aid repair. I pre & post heated the cast iron and tacked the manifold in place, let it cool overnight & applied the extreme heat over as much as I could. The next day I did the exhaust wrap and let the engine idle for 30 minutes and then shut it off for 1 hour. Cranked it up again and it was back to normal! Gave it a quick test drive to the end of the road & back (~1 mile) and pulled into the driveway thinking I just got away with a $20 fix...checked for leaks, gave a celebration rev and it all fell apart again :)rolleyes:). Manifold bolts are being sprayed with PB blaster everyday until I get the nerve to put a socket on them...:shaking:

EDIT - also found one of the duals had a sidewall blow out...dammit Bobby!:dumbass:

Last edited:

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
While I had my dad spraying the manifold bolts every other day for 2 weeks I started reading tips & tricks for removing them and found a couple new ones I hadn't heard of before:
1) Get the engine up to temp and hold an ice cube on each bolt/stud until it melts and then spray them again (same concept as ice water in a spray bottle).
2) After the engine cools tighten the bolts just a bit and then work them back and forth until you get a full turn loose. Then snug them up until you get them all broken loose and back them all off 2-3 turns at a time. Theory with this one is if the manifold is warped you won't bind any of the bolts up & hopefully none will break.
I did the ice cube trick twice and then easily broke them all lose the next day with #2 above. The square ports measured between 1.34-1.42" and the circle port headers I found were 1.38" ID which I figured would be a restriction in the corners? So I opted for oval port headers and some header extension tubes from speedway motors (9300101 & 91013385). The headers got delivered over the weekend, but the extension tubes had an operational delay (now delivery is pending) even though they shipped from the same place at the same time and I saw FedEx drive by twice...WTF? I test fit the headers and they clear, but are close to the oil pan and starter so I'm going to wrap them and if/when I replace the starter again I'll probably have to get a mini-starter. If the tubes ever get delivered, I'll wrap them too where they pass beside the oil pan...I'm sure I'll have to modify them anyway to fit up to the existing 1.5 year old exhaust because I'm not re-doing the entire thing!

Also, got 2 new tires and put them on the front since steering & braking might come in handy. Date codes for the 4 that are on the rear now are all '09-'11, but they're doubled up so that averages to ~5 years old right? I see 4 more tires in the near future...

Grandpa actually asked me about it this weekend and I thought he was reliving his shade tree mechanic days, but found out he wants to borrow it to clean out his hangar/shop. I laughed out loud when he said he thinks he can get everything cleaned out of a 4k+ sq. ft. building in 1 trip! :shaking: I see 15-20 since we've already made 2 trips and you can't even tell a difference! Hell one of those trips was just old tires...there were 60 of them and my brother just found another pile!