Secondhand Tin Can.

I'm going to weld in what ever rock sliders I do get to help beef up the unibody. I got lucky my rocker panels are solid only rust is under the black caps on the back quarter panels because they trap water. But I will look into hooligan and dirtbound off road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So this past weekend I took the 4wd 101 class at UORTC. Man did I learn alot. I am very impressed with how well my jeep did. Only problem is I dragged my diffs a few times in the ruts because of my smaller tires.
8e5706163fd3a18e1f4b37f98e42566b.jpg

So the plan got altered I ended up going ahead and getting tires and wheels. I got my new to me steering set up. I want to give a big thank you to my brother in law Chris for the steering and help with the installation. I'm happy with the way the jeep has turned out. The last new part for awhile is coming in the mail. It's a steering box brace.
0330b0f9c5d3d494d85d6cc30b07b81d.jpg
c19a181a0da0b8f8f686faae99c8fcf8.jpg

What a transformation! It really looks good Keith!
Thank you, I can't wait to get her out on a trail.

Looks awesome. I know you might be strapped for cash but if you happen to find a good deal on a new double shear trac bar I would jump on it. I managed to make it 20+ years on the stock trac bar but when it finally went out driving above 35 MPH was a terror. This happened all the way in Harlan too.

Just putting that on your radar :usa:

Looks awesome. I know you might be strapped for cash but if you happen to find a good deal on a new double shear trac bar I would jump on it. I managed to make it 20+ years on the stock trac bar but when it finally went out driving above 35 MPH was a terror. This happened all the way in Harlan too.

Just putting that on your radar :usa:
Thanks man. A new track bar is on the list of things I want to get because right now it's the weakest part of my front end.

Damn fine job Kieth!! Gonna have all the ladies back at school.
Thanks Jason. I couldn't have done it with out all of your knowledge and guidance from you and ctb.

Just realized we met this weekend when I picked up my jeep from Chris's on Sunday. Didn't put 2 and 2 together. Jeep looked good in person. Now to see this thing on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, before this thing sees any major trail time the finders are going to have to meet the 4 inch cut off wheel. I would like to regain some of the articulation I lost with going to bigger tires. It was nice meeting you on Sunday.

Thanks, before this thing sees any major trail time the finders are going to have to meet the 4 inch cut off wheel. I would like to regain some of the articulation I lost with going to bigger tires. It was nice meeting you on Sunday.

Wise idea. I didn't get bumpstops installed in time when I went from 31s to 33s and it took hours to bend the sheet metal straight. It gets a lot easier after the first cut. @adamk is good help too.

My plane is to take about 1 to 1.5 inches off of my fenders once I get back up to school in two weeks then figure out what bump stopping i need since I don't have any right now because all of mine have dry rotted away. Adams and Wills guidance about cherokee's has been amazing.

My jeep is going to have to look more like a trail rig than a mall crawler. I'm having to ditch the finder flares and cut and fold them. I went up to school to visit people that had already moved in and ripped my passenger flare off just driving around campus so I have already started cutting and folding my fenders got one out of the three done so far. I'm thinking I'm going to paint the lip that's left black and re paint the trim so it looks decent.
03cba1bc1c3e2f45c7a063541e06d420.jpg

My jeep is going to have to look more like a trail rig than a mall crawler

It doesn't have too. Never lower your standards because you think you can't have both :huggy: It just takes a little more effort, and being more creative (especially on a budget) but you CAN have a trail rig that looks DAMN good. You just have to work a little harder at it :D

(BTW...I LOVE the look you've got going on now with the lift and rubi wheels....it's honestly where I would take an XJ if I had one)

It doesn't have too. Never lower your standards because you think you can't have both :huggy: It just takes a little more effort, and being more creative (especially on a budget) but you CAN have a trail rig that looks DAMN good. You just have to work a little harder at it :D

(BTW...I LOVE the look you've got going on now with the lift and rubi wheels....it's honestly where I would take an XJ if I had one)
Yup I'm trying to figure what I want my final end game to be. I can't decide if I want to paint black around where I cut and folded or leave it grey. I know I'm taking the front black wind guard and fog lights off (fog lights dont work half the time) of the front bumper and trimming the end caps for better approach angle. So when I get a winch bumper I still have the grey and black look going.

Holy crap it's hot and humid in my garage so I'm calling it quits for today I got the rear done. Spending a good portion of my summer cutting brick out of concrrete pannels with a grinder paid off today. Also I need to finish packing to move into college.

Pictures of the rear
4de4c387522612ae5390754a87cf15e4.jpg
a11c2b05135dc14cff2fee2e35f8b51b.jpg

Yup I'm trying to figure what I want my final end game to be. I can't decide if I want to paint black around where I cut and folded or leave it grey.

I'd take that fender off, clean the hell out of it, and hit it with 2000 grit wet sandpaper all over, and rattlecan the whole fender (hard as hell to blend correctly) with single stage matching paint. 2000grit wet again, and respray, then sand a 3rd time, buff, polish and bolt it back up. It'll look so good you'll be forced to buff the whole rig :cool:

I'd take that fender off, clean the hell out of it, and hit it with 2000 grit wet sandpaper all over, and rattlecan the whole fender (hard as hell to blend correctly) with single stage matching paint. 2000grit wet again, and respray, then sand a 3rd time, buff, polish and bolt it back up. It'll look so good you'll be forced to buff the whole rig :cool:
But that pin stripe will be hard to get back on straight.

I kinda like the look of the black outline on the fender I might do that on the others about 2 inches thick to resemble a flare. Tape off what i want to paint and sand it and paint it black. Then repaint all of the black trim.

Or I can do the classic college xj paint job and just get a case of what ever color spray paint and paint over my existing paint with out any prep. [emoji6]

But that pin stripe will be hard to get back on straight.

I kinda like the look of the black outline on the fender I might do that on the others about 2 inches thick to resemble a flare. Tape off what i want to paint and sand it and paint it black. Then repaint all of the black trim.

Or I can do the classic college xj paint job and just get a case of what ever color spray paint and paint over my existing paint with out any prep. [emoji6]

I did my fenders like you described with the 2" stripe. My jeep has a fender that was painted with the flare on so I had 2" of silver I needed to cover up. I also did under the rub strip to connect them.

cbf271b50eb1735617d48a4ee44a1472.jpg

Just plan ahead for cut and folding your rear corner panels. It won't be long until those are mangled.

I'm leaning towards bead liner instead of black paint and doing the rub rails and under

I'm going to have to be creative on my passenger side because i got some rust. the only rust on the entire jeep is under the black plastic on the quarter panel. I have seen how some guys used seem sealer and rivets but I'm going to try to get access to a welder to do it.

I'm going to have to be creative on my passenger side because i got some rust

That was why I went with flames on the Bronco (this was back when flames were kind of "IN")
flames03.jpg

Nice way to fix rust. I did that with scallops once...

Those flames almost look textured. Like bed liner instead of paint.

Am I right?

Back