Budget YJ Build

I took the Jeep out to Potts mountain with a few club members last weekend. I didn't get many photos but it was pretty eventful. First I have proof that you can fit a 40' RV with a 20' trailer in the lower campground (it was actually not a designated camp spot but the driver made it work). Backing out onto the main road was the tricky part, but the driver made it look easy. The campground was full of hunters, so for future reference, its best to go well before hunting season.

20231112_080145.jpg

I recently picked up a kids SXS seat insert with 5 point harness, it fits snuggly into my corbeau seat, and now my son can ride up front with me on trials. He loves riding up front now, but I may need to look at installing a door bar or a window net for harder trails.

20231111_124506 (1).jpg

A 100 yards into the trail on the first day, my throwout bearing started making an awful noise. About a mile later I feel/hear a pop in the clutch pedal and then am no longer able to engage the clutch release. Therefore for the rest of the 6 mile trial I wheeled it by just starting in gear. I was still able to hit pretty much all of the hard obstacles on Potts mountain and just had to winch on 1. The second day we ran the trail in the opposite direction, still with no clutch pedal. Halfway through the first obstacle, I get in a bind and can no longer shift the AX15 to the right past 3rd gear. Therefore I have no reverse. I get winched backwards and continue the rest of the trail one shotting the rest of the easier obstacles.

Potts mountain is always a good time to get out in nature, hit a different kind of trail with great views, and hang around a campfire with friends. Now the to do list consist of pulling apart the AX15 to see what I damaged with the throwout bearing, and whats going on with the shifter.

I've been busy with life. We moved from Raleigh to Joco and now finally getting around to working on the YJ. Pulled the AX15 and the throwout bearing was laying in pieces on the bottom of the bellhousing. Once I pulled the adapter housing, fifth gear fell to the floor. Turns out I broke the cluster gear shaft right were it splines down for fifth gear. Bought a new clutch kit, AX15 rebuild kit (which turns out isn't the most complete), and a parts transmission from an early XJ. Currently in the middle of rebuilding the transmission.

20240315_060329.jpg

20240316_061513.jpg

20240327_200519.jpg

Back