Camper remodel

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
So my wife decided she wants to go wheeling and travel a lot more. But our truck camper on a gooseneck has reached the end of sheltering our family of 4. It is posted for sale, and we have decided a flat bed truck like a Kodiak, or large Cab & Chassis that can haul the Jeep on the back and tow a camper is the best route for our needs.
I scooped up this camper from a forum member for a solid deal and we began remodeling it right away.
9F77C687-6BC1-47AB-8751-B2CA66E00CC2.jpeg

It’s a 2000 Jayco Eagle, 30’ with bunk beds in the rear and a private queen bed up front.

Look close and you can see my boy, absolutely enjoying a Sprite to the max.

We wasted no time removing all of the cabinet doors, jackknife sofa, dinette and more to begin prepping for paint.
DDD3A7D3-61BA-4DC9-B68B-5C15BD43DA57.jpeg

My garage is a wreck, and my yard is full of vehicles, kid toys, my toys and projects. I need to thin the herd
D8A102D1-8257-4230-BE8B-0FF2A14A9DA1.jpeg

But instead I’m an idiot, and brought home yet another project, you know for all my free time. Least it has a big block and AC.
EF29EAAE-D805-46AD-A1CB-5D020A3F587C.jpeg

Back to the camper…

The light in the living room didn’t work, when I pulled it down to inspect it worked when I moved the wires, then I noticed the wires were wet, and the ceiling was lower than before (it was raining at the time). So that of course lead to ripping out the ceiling to find mold, rot, nasty insulation and more.

3671D1D1-CD5A-48DE-93F7-22893F239477.jpeg
37407C41-F931-4169-BBC3-A0F4DD20C05E.jpeg

Last edited:
It turned out it was the wind up antenna thing that was leaking. Since that was entirely useless these days anyway I deleted it. But I had limited time to get the roof washed, patched, detailed with lap sealant and then cool sealed since this was discovered in a Tuesday night with rain coming on Thursday. The local hardware store didn’t have a small sheet of metal that I needed, and time was running out. So I did a thing.
F97B1A19-A0D1-4582-B3CD-B01EFBAD3BC6.jpeg
435EFB93-05E8-4B77-81C0-26ED1F5DF3CF.jpeg
771931AA-CD51-4E45-9BDC-7218E1191709.jpeg
F0C8C025-A7B2-41E3-AC5C-ECBCAA70C73B.jpeg
4D7FC1DF-68F4-4B0E-9632-FBBE3FB84BBF.jpeg
BD87A88E-569A-4BE0-B234-D884E804FB6B.jpeg
1CB7D464-19C2-4990-941A-56FD72BE45D4.jpeg

I sealed the crap out of the underside of that metal sign that was previously on my garage wall. Then used EternaBond tape, followed up with a healthy triple coat of Cool Seal on the whole roof.

Last edited:
I got the inside dried out after running a dehumidifier and fan for a day or so, then got the insulation and paneling replaced. I also decided to ditch the corner thing up too that held the TV.

It’s all painted with new lights installed. But I forgot to pay attention to the AC vent (circular hole seen on the left side in the demo pics) so I’m gonna have to do some measuring and guessing with a hole saw.

We’ve done a lot more but I don’t have a lot of pics, but my wife does. I’ll update more tomorrow. I’m exhausted working on this, work, kids sports and more. It’s been non stop.
1E5F5935-F2A9-4188-AC5F-5840FDB094D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems to be a common thing with campers and RV's They just build them to be disposable I guess. So you'll get to loving the fun on the outings. Most people will not take the time to reseal or repair, and just buy a new one. I sold one to DylanW and knew there was some damage to the front part, thought I had fixed that but after he got it, he found out it had a LOT of issues. HE did an aweome job at fixing it all. He basically has a new RV now(if he still has it) If I was going to get a pull behind, I think I'd holdout for an Airstream or similar just because of how the outside is built! The only thing I don't like about the set up you're going with is always having to drop the trailer to unload your rig. I did that with a pop-up camper and my car hauler. Was a PITA for me. Set up and take down sucked. Won't be as bad for you though, since you don't haave to wind up and down and figure ut storage like I did. Your camper can haul it alland have a place for most or it. I think the biggest thing you'll need is a shed to back it in with a wide roof and at least one wall where the sun will hit it. I'd go ahead and put new tires on it before heading out. Older tires are prone to blow out, and, when they do, they cause a lot of damage. Storing it at home, also a good idea to jack it up and take most of the weight off of the tires, Don C had a great idea, he had his parked under a shed with a gravel floor, and the tires sitting on 2X8's or so. Not sure if he jacked it up or or though. But then again, his didn't weigh as much as yours does. One thing I always did was have the camper outfitted with everything you'll need including all dishes and such even it's own towels and so on. That way, when you get home with it, unpack the food and dirty cloths and such and you're near ready to take off again. Good luck Phillip, I look forward to seeing your "build"

Seems to be a common thing with campers and RV's They just build them to be disposable I guess. So you'll get to loving the fun on the outings. Most people will not take the time to reseal or repair, and just buy a new one. I sold one to DylanW and knew there was some damage to the front part, thought I had fixed that but after he got it, he found out it had a LOT of issues. HE did an aweome job at fixing it all. He basically has a new RV now(if he still has it) If I was going to get a pull behind, I think I'd holdout for an Airstream or similar just because of how the outside is built! The only thing I don't like about the set up you're going with is always having to drop the trailer to unload your rig. I did that with a pop-up camper and my car hauler. Was a PITA for me. Set up and take down sucked. Won't be as bad for you though, since you don't haave to wind up and down and figure ut storage like I did. Your camper can haul it alland have a place for most or it. I think the biggest thing you'll need is a shed to back it in with a wide roof and at least one wall where the sun will hit it. I'd go ahead and put new tires on it before heading out. Older tires are prone to blow out, and, when they do, they cause a lot of damage. Storing it at home, also a good idea to jack it up and take most of the weight off of the tires, Don C had a great idea, he had his parked under a shed with a gravel floor, and the tires sitting on 2X8's or so. Not sure if he jacked it up or or though. But then again, his didn't weigh as much as yours does. One thing I always did was have the camper outfitted with everything you'll need including all dishes and such even it's own towels and so on. That way, when you get home with it, unpack the food and dirty cloths and such and you're near ready to take off again. Good luck Phillip, I look forward to seeing your "build"

Yeah I actually helped Dylan work on that RV. It’s incredibly nice now.
I do plan to have everything we need in the camper, down to sets of clothes that always stay in it. I want it to be ready to go at a moments notice. It does have newer tires, no dry rot or anything.

I bought this from @StretchASU and I’m furious he sold me such a POS with water damage. I feel like I was swindled and lied to….

Sarcasm inserted.

I don’t mind the unhooking and unloading part I don’t think. The camper has an electric jack on the front, and I’d usually be unhooking anyways (I always did with the crawler hauler) cause I use my truck to run around and stuff.

@upnover we considered newer campers, but $20k for something built during pandemic labor issues was just irrational. They’re all built like crap so it seemed worth getting an older one.

I'm curious as to your tow rig of choice since you'll be hauling a rig on the flat bed of it. What are your thoughts there?

I'm curious as to your tow rig of choice since you'll be hauling a rig on the flat bed of it. What are your thoughts there?

Right now since a crew cab rollback is not in my price range, the best option I have been able to find is a Chevy Kodiak 4500/5500. Or GMC Topkick. I’ve found a Dodge 5500 Cab & Chassis with a 12’ flat bed but the payload it only 5700lbs and I’ll be all over top of it. I’m sure it would work but I don’t want to be towing at or over max capacity should something ever happen. I’ll never come close to overloading a Kodiak so I seem to circle back to that every time I look for alternatives.

In for more details on tow rig and revamp. I've been kicking around a rollback and camper for a while. So while I dream I'll watch you create.

Look for a Freightlliner M2 crew cab. They'll be intended under 26k weight (no CDL as long you have no RLF stickers anywhere), air brake, Allison or 6 speed manual, C7 Cat or 6.7 Cummins. With a CC, you can have a 12-16' bed length.
x2. Id look at an HDT, for the cost. Convert to RV and put a flatbed on it. There is a thread on Hardline, where a guy built a nice flatbed on his for this same reason. Peterbilt flatbed

I have heard of folks putting bedliner on the roofs of campers, to seal them up for the long haul. Anyone have thoughts on this? Basically this: RV Armor | The Ultimate RV Roof.

Right now since a crew cab rollback is not in my price range, the best option I have been able to find is a Chevy Kodiak 4500/5500. Or GMC Topkick. I’ve found a Dodge 5500 Cab & Chassis with a 12’ flat bed but the payload it only 5700lbs and I’ll be all over top of it. I’m sure it would work but I don’t want to be towing at or over max capacity should something ever happen. I’ll never come close to overloading a Kodiak so I seem to circle back to that every time I look for alternatives.

Whats your price range? I love a good truck hunt. I snagged a 2006 5500 lbz/ally crew cab for $6500 that needed some work but runs and drives, Sold it to my uncle tho. There's still some deals out there

Looking good! I need to contract you for my shitbox remodel - you work 100000x faster than I do!
I've already txt my request for work on Yondu...but have yet to receive a reply 🤔

Whats your price range? I love a good truck hunt. I snagged a 2006 5500 lbz/ally crew cab for $6500 that needed some work but runs and drives, Sold it to my uncle tho. There's still some deals out there

The more under $25k the better lol. But I need 4 doors, AC, cruise, and ability to do 70 on the highway. I’m fine if I slow down on the hills but if it tops out at 60 I’m going insane lol

Most of the medium duty trucks are absolute dogs when compared to modern or semi modern 1 ton diesels. Find one with a mechanical DT466 and throw the fuel to it

Find one with a mechanical DT466 and throw the fuel to it
He needs another project. I'm thinking Blubird retired bus with that motor, chop the back and deck it for buggy and have a 8 seater up front to bring friends :rockon:

"Lil methed up racing"

He needs another project. I'm thinking Blubird retired bus with that motor, chop the back and deck it for buggy and have a 8 seater up front to bring friends :rockon:

"Lil methed up racing"

You misspelled “Lil Rampage Uwharrie drama queen methed out tweaker”

This is the paint we used. No sanding, no priming. Just clean the cabinets ready to roll.
0D7D3CCC-E74F-477A-8240-26B10A851892.jpeg

You can see what a wet 2nd coat looks like vs a dry coat. It’s very forgiving and lays down nicely. We rolled/brushed the cabinet frames but sprayed the doors.
5BE157DE-4EA0-48D6-B9E6-82A6FE456E57.jpeg
7FCF7EAA-08D2-44DB-BF79-989DA4289F84.jpeg

We are replacing the mattress anyway so it became a painting surface
20BBEE7D-0733-4D58-A5D6-C752A60EF030.jpeg

A24B4E8E-00FB-4383-8B66-B79DE053A1B8.jpeg
652A63F0-88C3-4743-9C84-CCB029EF06E6.jpeg

And I painted all the hardware, and will soon paint the oven hood as well. Started messing around with the backsplash my wife wanted as well.
8FDF564D-A03A-4C83-851A-62994BB66E11.jpeg

Andddd I’m glad we planned to do the floors last, cause I dropped some paint
E8F78422-493C-4549-8F13-4402FAB79B52.jpeg

Attachments

• 8ADA0586-2C0B-4AD5-8A90-211B6727C2C3.jpeg
    8ADA0586-2C0B-4AD5-8A90-211B6727C2C3.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 12A8CE2B-8801-4F66-8D49-25BBE596D2F3.jpeg
    12A8CE2B-8801-4F66-8D49-25BBE596D2F3.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 130
Wish I knew that before we've put 800k miles on ours. o_O
I don't know if they have ever fixed them or switched to something decent, but all the 2000 - 2007s, have that injector pump that works by the oil pressure. Even if the oil pressure doesn't get low, that pump seems to fail around every 100K. I drove 1 truck that had 4 pumps replaced, Before Cat found a decent rebuilt one. There are no New ones built, all you can get is rebuilt. their have been More pumps returned to the rebuilder, that good pumps found. Navistar 6.0 was the same thing. "cat heui pump"

Back