Camper/RV design input needed

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Hey guys, im getting to the point on my U-haul RV conversion that i need to start laying out the electrical stuff.. What are some things you've seen on a camper/RV that was cool or helpful, or what are some things you 'wish' was there...

So far, my electrical is some lead cords run from the house so i have a clean slate to put in what ever i want..

The things ive already identified:
- Light switch near main entry door for wall light (not installing any ceiling lights)
- Light switch near 'garage' pass through entry door for inside garage lighting.
- 2 Outside recepticals on right side of box. Maybe one internal and one external at each spot..
- Wiring/socket for rear/right side swing out work area lights.
- Light/switch near raised bed area.
- GFCI Outlet pair on counter top. Deciding to go with hotplate vs. inside LP stove.. Prolly get a small coleman outside stove I have the tanks/adapters assortment now.
- 2 Outlets located for refriderator and A/C unit

Its only 7.5'x7.5' inside so im not going wild with outlets.. I figure the 2 on the counter, one near the and maybe 1 near the floor.

Just don't want to miss any major function items..

I'm not very familiar with how RVs are setup for 12vDC and 120v AC just to seperate systems. I see items lists as dual voltage should i bother? I do want some basic 12v lights for more primitive sites..

Ideas??

Hey guys, im getting to the point on my U-haul RV conversion that i need to start laying out the electrical stuff.. What are some things you've seen on a camper/RV that was cool or helpful, or what are some things you 'wish' was there...
So far, my electrical is some lead cords run from the house so i have a clean slate to put in what ever i want..
The things ive already identified:
- Light switch near main entry door for wall light (not installing any ceiling lights)
- Light switch near 'garage' pass through entry door for inside garage lighting.
- 2 Outside recepticals on right side of box. Maybe one internal and one external at each spot..
- Wiring/socket for rear/right side swing out work area lights.
- Light/switch near raised bed area.
- GFCI Outlet pair on counter top. Deciding to go with hotplate vs. inside LP stove.. Prolly get a small coleman outside stove I have the tanks/adapters assortment now.
- 2 Outlets located for refriderator and A/C unit
Its only 7.5'x7.5' inside so im not going wild with outlets.. I figure the 2 on the counter, one near the and maybe 1 near the floor.
Just don't want to miss any major function items..
I'm not very familiar with how RVs are setup for 12vDC and 120v AC just to seperate systems. I see items lists as dual voltage should i bother? I do want some basic 12v lights for more primitive sites..
Ideas??
If I remember from the RV days and what the new ones are you can go all 12V or all 120v either way if you are :
120 you need inverters and a charger for a 12v battery so 120 to the battery for charge then 12v to the inverter with 120 out to the lights and stuff.
If you are 12 v you run everything off your 12v battery running 12 v to everything and just need a 120v to 12v charger for your battery.
+- if all you outputs are 12v then nothing from the house tools and coffee maker will work and you need to get all 12v stuff.
+- if your output is 120V anything you put in there is 120V for tool and junk but you will need to spend the money on the inverter.
I run 120v charger for my battery bank and then 2 2400 watt inverters 12v to 120v for my camping junk in the truck and trailer, Same setup a lot of campers have. You going to run propane for hot water, heat and air, and cooler?? If those are propain then you will not need the big inverters that cost a lot.
Hope this helps. Hope it sounds correct with all the 12v120v junk.

Jon

Could do a cheapo version of that, too... hardmounted lights are 12V off a house battery. Receptacles are shore power only. Shore power charges house batts when it's plugged in.

And you could always set it up so the batts are near the shore power and the breaker panel, so you could add more batteries and an inverter later if it becomes necessary.

I'd also look at dedicated RV fridges... either 12V units or propane... preferably 12V. It would be nice to stock the fridge before you leave the house, and not worry about it again for the duration of the trip.

camper

i would put the propane 3 eye stove in and a microwave. The stove tops are not that expensive and will work better/ be more reliable than the coleman. I would set up as stated above with all lights, fridge, ect running on 12v. Have seperate batteries for the camper use, isolated to prevent drainig your vehicle start battery. You want the camper batteries to charge will the vehicle is running also. I would get a 3 way fridge, runs on gas/12v/110v. Second choice would be gas/110v. Build a compartment for a gas generator, you can get a used Onan fairly cheap, install and pipe the exhaust to the top of the body. Install battery powered smoke alarms, carbon monoxide, and gas leak detectors. (no battery drain when unit is not in use.) 40 gal fresh water tank, 40 gray and 40 balck water tanks. I am sure I will think of more later.

Larry are you looking to adopt ? Remember this is a simple build up. LOL

Wires - I was thinking more like what shawn's outlined. Recepticale 120v... But i like the idea of just just 12v internal lighting as thats important reguardless of hookup.. I already have a dome 12v in the garage and I can run the extra lights strictly 120v for campsite use.. I've got a bunch of 12v switches and stuff i can use also.

Good points on the batt. smoke alarms.. Ill add that to the list..

Umm a 3way fridge would cost more than what ive got into the conversion so far :) used ones look like they got from $500/up new $800/up I have a nice 120v large dorm size picked out thats ~$130 new.. I'm not afraid to buy a bag of ice and use my 5day cooler if were not at a RV site..

Cooking - I really have never had any problems with collman LP stoves, I have a bulk tank adapter. That would be for outside/outback pot/pan cooking and my answer for bad weater stuff was a small 120v hot plate for inside.

I'll be tackeling the water system after :) I've got a 16 gal clean, was going to use a small 15 gal grey tank on wheels, build a tray for it. simple plumbing. Then eventually I do want to add a small 6gal elec water heater...

Oh ya great point on the 12v sockets hadn't thought of that.

Agreed... ALL interior lighting should run on 12VDC. There's some nice "dual" (3way switched... 1bulb-off-2bulbs) and fluorescent fixtures out there these days.

ideas

I was just throwing ideas to you. Remember one thing always, you will do a lot of dry camping going to trail rides. That means no water, power or sewer. You will need to eat, drink, take a bath, and get rid of bodily fluids. Example, the ac won't run without a generator on a hot night at a trail head. For a guy this is not a big deal, until you get much older, but for the "wife/significant other" it will eventually become one. She will go with you a lot longer and much more willingly if you have these convieniences.

You don't have to do it all up front, just plan for each item now and add as you can find the stuff at a deal or as time and money allow.

I know larry :) was joking.. yes i agree with the trailhead camping stuff. I figure that since im moving up from basic tent camping that somethings arn't an issue. The RV will be space restricted for many things so I've tried to be realiastic about things.. I've discussed much of this with the wife to find out what her needs are. Believe it or not #1 was a nice bed. (no cots or air mattress). We will have a small porta-john unit. Stage 1 is small clean water system. I'll have it set so i can run off a site hookup indefinitly, cold in/grey pipe out etc.. but function some with no hookup..

ideas

I forgot to mention a gas hot water heater. I have a small porta john for cheap, if you don't have one.

Here are the things I really liek about my camper..

1: it is dry always :)
2: has water tank to wash dishes in small sink just drains outside to a bucket
3: has both vehicle style cigeratte lighters, and 110 recepticles..
4: all my interior lights run off battery so no need to plug in to see what you are doing.
5: stove runs off propane. has oven and 3 top burners
6: I have a cool not a frig.. works just as good even on long trips..
7: I have electric outlets on outside of camper so I can plug in things when working on jeep :)
8: All my connections on outside are in on location so you do not need long extension cords going to all sides of camper
9: make all closets have latches so they can not swing open in travel.
10: have a shoe rack near door to keep mud and dirt near door and not everywhere
11: I have a/c that runs off generator or when camper is plugged in...she loves this :)
12: I also have a marine trickel charger that when I plug into camper site or when I am driving it charges batteries in camper :)
13: fans that run off batteries so they can also keep air moving with out generator being on..
14: make room for atleast 2 batteries to run your lights, etc..my one battery will last for an entire weekend with no other power..
15: makes sure you have some outside lights that also run off batteries.. those are great when it get dark outside. you wil be surprised how bright a small light is when pitch black outside

SMOKE DETECTORS and CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS ARE A MUST !!!

LP stove, genrator, diesel engine from the rig itself, and the Jeep as well, all sources of ignition and/or CO when you never suspect it.

I am doing the same thing to a 6 1/2 x 10 , we mounted a AC unit in the front , built a bench that doubles as a storage , overhead cabinets . Bed will be a pull down bunk bed that will lock up for travel ( so my ATV will travel inside ) . Instead of wiring it , buddy came up with a 15amp 8ft cord surge protector ( lowes for about $12 ) cheaper than buying all the wiring materal , my ac to my supprise is only 5 amp ( 5000 btu ) , that leaves 10 amp for the rest of the rig . We drilled a hole in the floor and ran the plug to the Tounge of the trailer and is ready for a Extension Cord to power if avalible . Most camper places have a inexpensive Awning ( about $400 ) that is 8 ft , it is a weaker model than is on most trailers , no down poles , but you have limited used on a utility conversion than a travel trailer . Good luck with it , I have used mine once , did not hear it rain , I awoke the next morning ready to ride .

Mike I have worked this type plan thru my head, as you know already.
My plan was running 120v outlets where I needed them. Isolate the outlets so you have two 120v sources. One source coming from an outside source, such as a generator, or a plug in at a full hookup campsite. The other source would be from an inverter run off of the trucks batteries, or Alternator. I figured if the big trucks could run microwaves and such, why couldn't I. Placement and so on would depend on where you wanted it.

As far as hot water, we have have a Coleman hot water heater. As long as you have water, and propane, you have hot water. It works on the small bottles, but we have the adapter to run off of the BBQ tank. No need to run two water lines, you adjust the thermostat for the temp you want.

As far as a bed goes, and I just built in the back of the Van. Nut in your truck with the space you are planning on using, I would think two fold down bunks would work. Build them so as when both folded down, they make one big bed.( she will need your body heat!) When folded up, allows you to use more of your small space. Fold one down, a couch!

We have a porta potty, so far has been enough.
The idea about the small dorm type fridge works for me. Also multiple batteries, and isolating them is a good idea. My plan when I can have a generator is to have it on the trailer, so I could run it going down the road. Not sure where you would put one, but I am thinking under the truck somewhere.

My thoughts would be to do it once and do it right. Run all lighting at 12V. Pick up a salvage stove/oven combo, a water heater, fridge, and microwave. You don't have to use them all right now, but you will need to make sure that you have the room to use them all. You can probably pick up all those items for under 1k. Add a couple 120V outputs and a generator mount under the truck. Go to the camper store and look at truck bed campers, they cram tons of stuff in there. Also make sure that you make room for the big water tanks underneath so you don't put anything where they have to be. I was just involved around a bus conversion and the drain height was a problem when adding the tanks.

Now get back to work so I can get more ideas for my conversion!

RV Idears

1st of all... park & hang out whever the "buggies" have gathered.....

-1 side of u-haul have awning/free beer tap/big screen offroad video show

-Other side have hookup for propane to your stove/hot water/BBQ with about a 150 foot of hose......oh yeah convert u-haul/jeep to propane

...you get the idear :beer:

...cabletv... yes, why the heck not, alot of campgrounds have it run and I bet you use it more often than you think...

with that in mind, run a second outlet to the area under the awning Rob mentioned heh...love hanging outside my camper with the tv out there, drinking soda and watching sports/chillin...(yes this is more of non 4x4 trips but figured I would mention it)

USED...betcha can find that fridge cheap somewhere, in fact for the $500 you mentioned, I bet you could score an old camper that has it, stovetops, ELECTRICAL systems/box, and the various tanks Larry mentioned. Just something to keep in mind rather than all new, find a camper graveyard.

12v for the microwave would be a must, not sure if our microwave is anything special (dc wise or whatever) I think it is std cheapie.

I would save your pennies up for a generator at some point, for the "dry camping" you will love it, but then again I am a wimp and love my ac, fridge, tv, lights, etc.

OUTSIDE sockets built into your electric system...
again, if you are thinking of hang out area/awning that is a good place for em, not to mention an external porch light! I had mine on at SFWDA as John Craven and gang were setting up tent after dark.

if/when you ever get into the HAM thing, you will want electric for a base station (or CB 'base' station now...or a radio with WX channels)

MATTRESS...here is an idea on that, wal-mart.com and look at the foam mattress they sell that holds shape, etc. Memory foam I think it is, we put one of those on top the std rv mattress and it was ALOT nicer to sleep on. RV mattress has both springs and mattress in one btw...

'noisemaker', I personally always have a fan running at my house for the white noise...if you guys doing anything like that, you will be better off to have something like it with you...I slept like crap this week at the Omni in Atlanta because I didn't have it/heard every little noise. (which is why i hate tents too)

Oh yeah... we bought those mats at lowes, they hook together like a puzzle, wash off easily and make a great entrance mat/keeping mud out of your camper!! They wash off afterwards, beats the heck out of carpet which gets bugs in them, etc.

Sam

Talked with a buddy last night that is in trailer repair , he has several Items that you might like . All of these are new or used once or twice , but in new condition . Suburban Water heater ( 6 gal Gas/Electric) . Magic Chef Gas stove , 3 burner with oven ( model # CLY1610ABW) . Maytag Pricelin Toilet Good used . All three for $350 . Contact Paul Joyce at 336 595 4609 at home for more details . I would say you are safe to call till about 9-10 pm most weeknights probably a little later on the weekend , leave a message and he will return your call .

...cabletv... yes, why the heck not, alot of campgrounds have it run and I bet you use it more often than you think...

And a lot of them even have wireless internet access! Over the 4th of July, I got an e-mail from my brother telling me how crappy the weather was where they were camping. Had the weather not been crappy, he never would have pulled out his work laptop an discovered the wireless internet access at the campground. And to think.... he was the brother that was the Eagle Scout and loved "roughing it" camping.

..I bought a wireless aircard from Verizone so I didn't have to worry about the campgrounds service!!

Sorry for the hijack...give us an update Mike!

BTW: All Maryland rest areas are wireless, id expect other states to follow in coming years..

New: Im working on a easy way to sort and index my pics and to document my build up on my web site, ongoing.. Any help or tips would be great. I pay for my own domain/hosting space so i can install any php/mysql type stuff.. I like static because im not tied to software or updates as the years pass.. So a static page generator tool would be nice???

quick update: new airbags installed on rear suspension, still holding air :) wall up, doors in, main window in, 2 sections of ceiling mostly in. more insulation in. Scouted out mattress to buy.. its 7.5" tall so only a bit taller that 'foam' which i don't care for..

Items purchased and waiting for me to install:
5 new unfinished kitchen cabintets 2 lowers/3 uppers, 120v/12v power distribution box, 55amp 12v power converter (NOT inverter), with IQ4 battery tender.

I have to mod the 1 lower base unit to fit how i like it but that will be this weeks project..

Also ill be moving the ac unit to vent out the left wall directly, vs into the back/garage like it does now.. This will help prevent to slow decline of A/C performance ive noticed as the box gets hotter through out the day from it being forced to 'recycling' the air in there.. and i dont want it venting to the right/camping side. It will be built into a box next to the cabinet so it would appear to stick out so much..

New bus/coach seats to install. nothign special, local ebay find.

won ebay for a small SS single unit sink 12x15x5" deep be here in week or so..

more:

got a standard 14x14 roof vent to install... thats what was stoping the ceiling progress from continuing :) that will go above the kitchenette area..

I need to get the cabinets position marked so i can start the electrical work..

New: Im working on a easy way to sort and index my pics and to document my build up on my web site, ongoing.. Any help or tips would be great. I pay for my own domain/hosting space so i can install any php/mysql type stuff.. I like static because im not tied to software or updates as the years pass.. So a static page generator tool would be nice???

I use Gallery2 installed on my site. I like it, but a pain to link to since it punches out the pics in php (maybe Hobie has suggestions to get normal links from it?).

Also, Fireworks has a slick batch album creator that I've used.

Back